Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 05:58   #1

Open New Caribbean Charter?

Dear all, I would like to start a new charter service.
Ideally I would like to base it in Martinique integrating it, in a close future, with a mini resort and a diving center. Obviuosly I will be not alone, I have a set of person who will take in charge the different part of the project.

Anyone of you, can tell me something about the current price (depending on the service level) because I don't yet decide if create a luxury service or toward the service to normal client. This decision is fundamental in order to buy the right boat and the buy the right structure.

Thank you in advane for any suggestion.

Matteo.
queentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:02   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Welcome,

Seems to me someone who comes to a forum to ask business advice for such a large investment hasn't done any homework at all. Google charter businesses Martinique, and see what's offered. Then you will have somewhere to start. BEST WISHES in getting started in your new business......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:53   #3

I hope you think I'm so unwary... I did this type of reasearch and I have some data. Anyway the direct experience of someone who lives there orwent recently is, at least, an unfulfilled contribution. Don't you think so?
queentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:43   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Not a good tome to start a charter business. Charters are way down, boats are sitting unrented in most islands. Even Moorings is hurting.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:49   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Not a good tome to start a charter business. Charters are way down, boats are sitting unrented in most islands. Even Moorings is hurting.
Well - although its true that everyone in this industry is hurting, it might actually be a good time to start.....things will turn around eventually and someone with all his ducks in a row might be in a good position for a start-up.

One thing, Matteo: Not exactly sure if you want to start a charter company (of crewed yachts? of bareboats? or just one crewed yacht?) because, assuming that you are European, you may find, as did ATM, Stardust, and many other French charter operations, that you are denying yourself a large part of the market by basing yourself in the French islands. Americans need a great deal of persuasion to start a charter with a "foreign company" in a non English speaking island.

This, actually is what brought me to the Virgin Islands 20 years ago when I opened a new base for a French Company. So successful was this that we were bought out by Sunsail.....and I lost my job!!! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Well, when you start out..... can any of you tell me the current charge? It just makes me wonder. Maybe you could've worded it differently? Of course any input is great. I understand that! As I typed before.....BEST WISHES.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Goto ➥ Yacht charter in Martinique. Starting point to St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, charter, Martinique