Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2020, 01:57   #151

Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

I am not sure how close the contact was in Europe already.
From what I gathered from the vids, it got closer when they went sailing and spend a night on the 1260 in Annapolis.
Also I am not sure who the represantative was in France.
In Annapolis there was the top management on site.

We all don't know, so until, if ever, RR discloses when the desicion was made. And speculating about it does not help, imho.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 21:29   #152

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglygoog View Post
That will be worth a small discount and a strong relationship with the factory. Not much more.
I like Ruby Rose and they seem genuine (never met them). But I find it hard to reconcile their claim to only be able to afford $500k or so, then have a new Seawind that is worth $800k or so, pitted against your comment of them only getting a "small discount". 35% would be a huge discount to bring it near $500k, or have they increased to say $600k - which would still be 25% discount, which in my book isn't "small"!?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 21:43   #153

Boat: Corsair F-27 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglygoog View Post
The 1260 is a very nice cat with nothing else in its class in terms of size, price and performance.
It seems to me the Marsaudon TS42 is about the same size (42 feet), similar price (501 600 € incl VAT) and probably has better performance (5.8t light displacement for 99m2 sail area)

Marsaudon Composites - Chantier Naval - Lorient

I chartered the TS42, and I loved it!
jdmuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 06:23   #154

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

So the TS42 would be $573,456 vs the base price of $410,000 for the Seawind. How much is VAT on the TS42.
Old 21-07-2020, 08:04   #155

Boat: Corsair F-27 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
So the TS42 would be $573,456 vs the base price of $410,000 for the Seawind. How much is VAT on the TS42.
Right, I should have posted the before tax price. The base price of the TS42 before taxes is 418000€ (VAT is 20%).
jdmuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 08:31   #156

Boat: 1984Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Am very interested in a 1260. Was just told the next slot is 2 years from now. Not going to wait on that.
I know where you can get a brand new one today.
phlbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 01:15   #157

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: New Seawind - terrible helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I agree 100%! AND, once darkness hits - your only option if you want any visibility is to shut down all the lights in the cabin. And even then... The advantages of sitting up even a few feet higher can’t be understated especially picking your way through the shallows or keeping an eye out for floating debris. Plus, just the enjoyment of sitting up higher, not at water level. I’m not advocating for those “flybridge” helms with their ridiculous boom heights - but even the raised position of the Balance, or frankly - my favorite seat is the helm on the Leopard we’ve been on. Even if I had the money for new... those helms are a deal killer for me on an otherwise great boat. And lastly - twin helms are so unnecessary compared to the raised single helm. Added complexity, cost, and wasted space.
Definitely.. some aspects look great but we also didnt like the twin helm setup nor the view. Pricing is a little ambitious, particularly as the 1600 is not much more and such a good boat
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 13:51   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Definitely.. some aspects look great but we also didnt like the twin helm setup nor the view. Pricing is a little ambitious, particularly as the 1600 is not much more and such a good boat

The 1600 is an awesome boat but the base price is 36% ($240,000) more on the 1600 than on the 1370 ($899k vs $659k).
3cdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 20:57   #159

Boat: Catalina 42

Seawinds look like great boats, but where do you get comfortable in the cockpit? If I can't slouch down in the cockpit of any boat at anchor and comfortably take a nap when I should be fixing something, then it's a no-go. Even the 1600 cockpit doesn't look that comfortable. I guess that's a trade-off of two helms right smack in the middle of things.
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 21:40   #160

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cdad View Post
The 1600 is an awesome boat but the base price is 36% ($240,000) more on the 1600 than on the 1370 ($899k vs $659k).
I read earlier a post that suggested they were closer... all just news for me anyway as despite it being probably the best boat of that length i want to get sailing before they will be available.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 21:43   #161

The distinction between cabin and cockpit disappears in the Seawind 1160/1250. They are one big space, with plenty of lounging area to lie around on.
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 21:50   #162

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraton View Post
A comment on the helm position of the Seawinds. We had an 1160 for ten years, and loved the low position, twin helms. We chose it after previously having paid a deposit on a Lightwave (which has a single helm up in a sort of conning tower). On a race, we saw a LW T-bone another boat, because from his raised position, the skipper couldn’t see through his genoa.

A raised helm is absolutely NOT a solution to visibility in a sailing boat under sail.

When motoring, and picking ones way through coral, we would have someone standing on the roof wearing polarised sunnies.

Options on the 1370 can be seen here. https://seawindcats.com/options/seawind-1370/
as a past Seawind 1160 owner I would say the helming position was a real PIA, you cannot see forward very far and easy to hit objects in the water, this was one of the main reasons we sold the boat as coastal waters are getting more a more poluted in Asia and collisions are common and a real concern when sailing in remote locations.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 04:51   #163

Wondering if having a camera with night vision capability (like most security cameras) part way up the mast can improve visibility especially at night time. Having an iPad propped up next to helm showing camera view may give extra visibility regardless of helm type. I have this on my home security system and the visibility at night is better than what a person can see. Curious if anyone has such a system on a boat.
SandyLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 05:31   #164

Boat: Tartan 40
New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuke View Post
Wondering if having a camera with night vision capability (like most security cameras) part way up the mast can improve visibility especially at night time. Having an iPad propped up next to helm showing camera view may give extra visibility regardless of helm type. I have this on my home security system and the visibility at night is better than what a person can see. Curious if anyone has such a system on a boat.

I installed a closed circuit security camera 2/3 up my mast for fun while it was pulled this winter. Have it hardwired to an HDMI converter for the bulkhead mounted flat screen. Allows me to see ahead while down below on my monohull which is nice. Night vision on it dwindles in distance but will pick up lit objects pretty far away. In clearer waters I can see shallows better

https://www.cctvcamerapros.com/1080p...a-p/hd-q28.htm

I consider it a novelty but see some neat benefits for navigation
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 06:18   #165

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraton View Post
The distinction between cabin and cockpit disappears in the Seawind 1160/1250. They are one big space, with plenty of lounging area to lie around on.
Yes, that's true - but there's just something about lounging in the cockpit outside in any boat. Even on production catamarans with big doors, we find ourselves spending most time in the cockpit, like being on the porch at anchor or under way. Balance seems to solve for this well, but certainly for significantly more money.
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind