Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 15:29   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

when you have multihullers and monohullers discussing anything...."civilized discussion" is not a term I would use... " a heated discussion" likely more apt...
for that matter, it's rare to see two sailors agree on much of anything
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 15:40   #107
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
when you have multihullers and monohullers discussing anything...."civilized discussion" is not a term I would use... " a heated discussion" likely more apt...

for that matter, it's rare to see two sailors agree on much of anything

I don’t think I’ve seen much if any multi vs mono debate in this thread, unlike the light catamaran vs heavy monohull thread. It’s actually been kind of refreshing!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 16:53   #108

Boat: Catalina 42

MicHughV - I have to disagree with you on all fronts, but only to prove your point.
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 17:11   #109

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I just gotta quickly say that after purchasing three new boats from Seawind/Corsair, plus a used Seawind from private party, that my experience is the price list is the deal. No discounts. So I would be absolutely shocked if these guys got something super special. If you get commitment for the first 20 layups in two days, why would you discount anything? Seawinds bigger problem is they are not a mass producer, and who wants to wait until 2022 for a boat. Its the same issue across their entire line. I put our deposit down in Jan 2018, and boat arrived Miami mid Feb 2019. And demand now is even stronger than two years ago. Dealers challenges are selling boats that customers won't see for almost two years.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 23:56   #110

New to the cruiser forum and sailing, but learning a lot from this and watching you tube videos (RR and others), attending boat shows and trying different catamarans (sorry, not that I dislike mono-hulls it's just that for my needs its a better fit at this latter time of my life).

I have followed RR for some time, but I wouldn't base my choice solely on their recommendation. It is too much money to lay out on someone else's view and no one or any system of rating is ever unbiased. I use it mainly to get an overview and when I looked at the boats at shows or marinas or sailed on them, I would take a closer look myself, with some focus on areas they would rate lowly, but did not agree on all their points (and I have seen most of the boats they list).

At least from a timeline perspective on their Seawind 1370 choice, it seemed to me that after reviewing the 1260 in Annapolis in Oct 2019, they went on sailing vacation in Thailand in Nov 2019 and then scooted across in secret to see Seawind. They did say that Seawind told them they had something in the works at the show and how much they divulged there who knows, but by then the reviews were already done so I like to believe the 1370 didn't factor yet in a deliberately biased view. They are a lovely couple and very entertaining videos, I like it when they talk sailing and their adventures.

As for me, I actually put a deposit on a Seawind 1260 (well before the RR reviews) …….but when the 1370 was announced, I moved it to a 1370 (hull #15 due May 2023, I was meant to receive the 1260 in Sep 2021). Apparently they sold about 18 in the first 24 hours. I actually had a chance to get Hull #4 but I am never to get the first product off the product line. I will let RR2 sort the boat out And this is one advantage about having such a high profile client, Seawind cannot afford to let their guard down as it would not lead to good press.

I love the Seawind 1260 and have been crewing/sailing on one in Sydney Harbor on Thursday afternoon races, a great experience. The dual helm when racing and/or sailing in a crowded harbor gives you fantastic visibility options and communication with guests is also great. The boat itself is "simple" and not as modern as other boats, but they are very sturdy and robust, they sail well (like Nick from RR noted, they don't need much of a puff to move and they are very nippy). I also like the low center of gravity, when the seas get choppier (or when you go through the wake of ferries) it feels "comfortable" and very safe. I have not experienced other boats with higher cockpits in choppy seas so I will not try to rate this aspect. I do wish reviewers had a chance to actually sail in rough weather and do such comparisons, but I can understand this would be difficult to organize.

On the visibility side when it gets dark: sometimes the races end when the sun is down and so we have sail in the dark. We do have the cockpit window down and we just switch on the "mood" lighting to keep glare down in the salon windows and it works OK. When it gets crowded we sit on the sides and get great visibility, or open up the huge front windows. But in the dark, we always play it safe and have someone spotting (just in case) at the front. I don't think it is safe sailing in a crowded place in the dark alone on any big boat.

As to why I moved to the 1370?! For many of the same reasons as RR2. It seems like the perfect blend of the best of 1260 and 1600 with a modern look. For what my family wants to do, it's the right boat for us.
SandyLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 00:50   #111

Boat: Ranger 22 #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
OMG, buddy. Someone really turned you off at the boat show. Just to correct a few things, from someone that actually owns and sails a newer Seawind. No one ever has to look thru two layers of glass to see forward. The window above both wheels on the 1160 is removable, and there is a molded space especially for storage in the cockpit. Reach thru that removed window opening, and access the chartplotter, the VHF, ... all sitting in a nice dry, secure protected environment. On the 1260, I think the window is electric opening. So that just leaves one set of glass to have to look thru. But that said, both of the forward saloon windows are full opening. Makes for great air flow. And when open, you look thru zero layers of glass to sail.

Yes, they did turn me off at the boat show quite badly. Interestingly neither of the features regarding the windows, either the removability of the aft ones or the opening forwards ones were demonstrated at the show. Curious since Seawind still had ownership of the boat at the time (I understand that display boats get sold at shows or have already been sold such as with Distant Shores and afterwards the vendors need to be more cautious).

I'm always open to correction if I said something that was incorrect as, being an owner, you obviously have far more experience with these boats than I. Lower helm still isn't my thing though. I much prefer twin helms in the very aft quarters of the boat like the Nautitechs or a separate satellite helm (usually with a tiller) in a similar location such as the solution on many Outremers, but I understand the appeal of the lower position which is about as sheltered as you can get without being inside the boat. My desire for a more connected, raw experience is probably just a relic of my years racing dinghies. I'm sure as I grow older I'll learn to appreciate more protected positions.
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 03:25   #112

Boat: Boatless but working on it

As mentioned by sailjumanji above, and as all who have actually sailed a Seawind other than the 1600 will attest to, visibility from the helm is all around and you can sit outboard of the hard top while helming on either side to catch a little wind in the hair and sun if you desire. You can move back and forth between the helms freely and can see the sails from outboard or up through the glass windows in the hard top. It’s fair to assume that the 1370 will be no different.
The other advantage of the “lower” protected helm positions is that it allows the boom to remain low, and with it the centre of effort. I don’t see any negative aspect of the helm positions at all.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 04:57   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The 1260 windows roll down (electric), I'm sure the 1370 will be the same. I'm interested in the other cats these posters would pick over Seawind.
The boats we have been on or sailed and would put right up there in the coin toss when we purchase along with the 1370 would be the Outremer 51, Balance 526, St Francis 50, Leopard 45, FP Saona 47, Privilège 510, Discovery 48, Oyster 575 (w/ retractable keel), and the Garcia 52. I really like the Amel 60 at Düsseldorf, the 2M draft though is doable but isn’t ideal for the tropics.

All boats are a compromise of some sorts, and will be guaranteed to drive you crazy at some point...so better to pick one you really love ❤️. I figure that realistically we will do this trip once and it will be a 6-7 year trip, so purchase the highest quality best suited vessel that will keep the crew safe and happy, thankfully our budget gives us good options.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 06:03   #114

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBentSailing View Post
Yes, they did turn me off at the boat show quite badly. Interestingly neither of the features regarding the windows, either the removability of the aft ones or the opening forwards ones were demonstrated at the show. Curious since Seawind still had ownership of the boat at the time (I understand that display boats get sold at shows or have already been sold such as with Distant Shores and afterwards the vendors need to be more cautious).
I knew the owners of the boats displayed in the Miami and Annapolis shows in 2017 and 2018, and Miami 2019. When we ordered our boat, they requested to use it in the 2019 Miami show, but it didnt fit our schedule (were planning to be in Bahamas by then). They generally try to use the newest version of boat available, those that have most-recently delivered to customers. So at least in those shows, Seawind display boats were not for sale. The Corsair they had on the dock in Miami 2018 might have been dealer owned.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:35   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I knew the owners of the boats displayed in the Miami and Annapolis shows in 2017 and 2018, and Miami 2019. When we ordered our boat, they requested to use it in the 2019 Miami show, but it didnt fit our schedule (were planning to be in Bahamas by then). They generally try to use the newest version of boat available, those that have most-recently delivered to customers. So at least in those shows, Seawind display boats were not for sale. The Corsair they had on the dock in Miami 2018 might have been dealer owned.
I have always wondered, beyond a good (free) cleaning inside and out, what is the advantage to letting the manufacturer use your boat in a boat show?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:57   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
I have always wondered, beyond a good (free) cleaning inside and out, what is the advantage to letting the manufacturer use your boat in a boat show?
I've been offered stuff like free dockage and some services for the time preceding and after the show (about a year in total while we do shakedown cruises) and certain upgrades thrown in as part of the deal. I could see saying yes because they are going to have it perfect when they give it back to you and people are normally pretty respectful from my experience.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:59   #117

We did it once. The broker offered to pay for, I think, half the shipping cost of the boat. Also, 4 days at the show for free. We stayed on the boat.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 11:01   #118

As of this morning, Seawind now has 31 pre-orders for the new 1370. RR is hull #2.
3cdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 11:15   #119

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

All these orders on the 1370 were just in the last few days? There weren't any before the official announcement deals in play? Just wondering?
Old 15-07-2020, 11:28   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
All these orders on the 1370 were just in the last few days? There weren't any before the official announcement deals in play? Just wondering?
Apparently, yes. I know that we placed our order immediately after the announcement presentation on July 10, and our build slot is #9. An additional 22 people ordered after us.
3cdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind