Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 15:55   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Need a cat, <$200K, 38-42ft, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Being that your from Texas you may want to check into this cat. It's in your budget, probably a great performer and has great bridgedeck clearance. Only downside to me is the cockpit.
1995 Hughes Design 43 Catamaran sailboat for sale houston Clear Lake, Tx.
Built by Texas A&M?
Displacement 27,000 lbs?
Ballast 1400?

There is a story in there somewhere.
Old 25-10-2013, 15:58   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan007 View Post
My 25c...you'd be better off taking a couple of years "out", live in a quiet village with access to the tropical ocean. You can find a part time job doing...something, maybe as a dive instructor, bar tender, IT repair guy...something... while spearfishing and chilling out the rest of the time. Me-thinks the "getting away from it all" is probably more your goal that the actual sailing. I've lots of experience in this whole area...not just a couch dreamer. Try it, before you buy it!!! Anyway...the best of luck to you.
Fair point. I think it's a little of both, but that could be delusional. I plan on trying a large ocean crossing before taking off, for the reasons you mentioned.

If you don't mind me asking - what is your experience, what made you head that direction in your comment?
Old 25-10-2013, 17:09   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Built by Texas A&M? Displacement 27,000 lbs? Ballast 1400? There is a story in there somewhere.
Yes built by A&M, and the displacement seems kind high. We watched this boat being built back in the mid nineties. In fact my friend built the daggerboard a for it. We saw the boat about a week ago. Seems to be sitting well on its lines and bobbing around like a lift boat. But you never know!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 17:36   #19

Hey Nomad, turn on your private messages. I found something.
Old 25-10-2013, 17:40   #20

Think I got it Sand Crab, advance thanks!
Old 25-10-2013, 17:44   #21

Well, I just posted this in my Cheap Mutihulls thread. This is the one.
Catamarans for Sale: Basic Preview of Catamarans

Helluva deal for $110K. Newer engines, sails
Old 25-10-2013, 18:01   #22

Quote:
Agreed. I reached out.

I've seen some super negative reviews about their sailing capabilities in charter, but they're supposed to be bullet-proof and it's WIDE and roomy (which I like).

Thanks again man,

-Nate
Old 25-10-2013, 18:06   #23

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Hire a Great surveyor. I can recommend one in Florida he saved us a huge head ache on one of boat styles you named that had serious delamination issues. Any of those brands mentioned can be good but any of them can be a very bad money pit as well. It is all based on how were they maintained.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 18:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Hire a Great surveyor.
Surely. This is just discovery, I'm far from dropping $. To clarify, I have the cash in hand and the ability to purchase whenever I'm ready. But it'd have to be a steal of a deal for me to purchase now.

This may/may not be, I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 25-10-2013, 18:43   #25

There are good and bad stories about every boat. Prout went bankrupt and there's at least one well publicized web page by an unhappy purchaser who bought as they crashed. As far as rugged, they're proven. They won't have the condo space, or high performance, of the newer super-wide charter designs or high performance designs. Many of their older designes had a center nacelle which was really close, or actually in the water.

The latter designs by Prout are more like other cats.

The two biggest factors are the designed purpose for a boat, and the quality of construction. There is a huge range in cats, from condos to high performance. A similar range in prices.

The older the boat, the cheaper it will be.

There's only so much benefit to making generalizations as to BrandA for what you're trying to do. You will actually have to see a boat in person before you can evaluate her condition. They will vary greatly. In fact, perhaps the most valuable skill for you will be learning how to evaluate a cats condition. Plan on looking at dozens of older cats. Your chance of success will improve to the extent you don't rush, fall in love with a particular boat, and walk AWAY from many boats until you find one with an owner who kept her up, and really wants to sell.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 18:48   #26

Quote:
Well, I just posted this in my Cheap Mutihulls thread. This is the one.
Catamarans for Sale: Basic Preview of Catamarans

If she is anything like her write up and stats ...

That is quite a listing.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 19:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave777 View Post
There's only so much benefit to making generalizations as to BrandA for what you're trying to do. You will actually have to see a boat in person before you can evaluate her condition. They will vary greatly. In fact, perhaps the most valuable skill for you will be learning how to evaluate a cats condition. Plan on looking at dozens of older cats. Your chance of success will improve to the extent you don't rush, fall in love with a particular boat, and walk AWAY from many boats until you find one with an owner who kept her up, and really wants to sell.
That's good stuff, and probably worth rereading from time to time.

Thanks!

(but if the rest of you run across good deals or have input - please do share)
Old 26-10-2013, 01:54   #28

As part of your "cat checklist" don't overlook the capacity to carry a decent size RIB or tender. Check davit capacity and dimensions between hulls and maximum tender beam. Most yachties use the tender to putter around in sheltered anchorages, so are happy with small lightweight tenders. You will need something more substantial for serious diving and spear fishing. Preferably at least 3.5 metre (12foot) RIB with 20 HP.

I know that you are a competent spearo, so you'll know that it may be a long run in the tender between the anchorage safe enough to leave the "mother ship" and the reef point where the 'whoo' are waiting.

Best of luck with making your plans happen.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 04:22   #29

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Im going to add my 2 cents here as we have been looking for a larger cat to move up to but are most likely changing our minds. This has been frustrating for us as we have been ready to purchase regardless of selling our current cat, which we would sell at our leisure later.
We have looked at couple of the better known versions listed by the op. One failed a survey being deemed "will never be seaworthy or safe offshore" the other 4 by 3 other manufacturers listed here all had similar issues. Window leaks and deck hardware leaks causing substantial mold issues. And in a couple of instances delamination issues. Some were fixable some would have been very expensive. 2 others had original sails, rigging, and electronics in addition to other issues listed. These cats all ranged from 1993 to 1999, So a 170k cat that we could negotiate down to 130 was still a 170k cat in other words. And a 140k cat we could negotiate down to 100k is still a 140+k cat. These owners / brokers seem for the most part to ask pristine condition prices on a poor shape or needing refit boats. Only to have them sit on the market for years deteriorating worse each month. One had a structural crack that spanned 17' straight across its 24' beam These issues i have also seen in multiple monos so its not a "cat" thing. We want a boat that will last another 20+ years as our permament home. I have seen very few that gave that confidence. Which is why we may just keep what we have and also go sooner.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 07:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
As part of your "cat checklist" don't overlook the capacity to carry a decent size RIB or tender. Check davit capacity and dimensions between hulls and maximum tender beam. Most yachties use the tender to putter around in sheltered anchorages, so are happy with small lightweight tenders. You will need something more substantial for serious diving and spear fishing. Preferably at least 3.5 metre (12foot) RIB with 20 HP.
Killer advice, I've been thinking about this quite a bit. Thanks.