Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2009, 07:47   #1

Multihull friends?

Hello,
I live near Lake Erie, I am looking for friends that would not mind me sailing with them on their boats? I would like to learn more about multihulls and but the best way is to be on board. I am looking to get a trailer able trimaran soon. Also in the future i can see me and the wife living aboard a 65ft Kat! I am trying to find a vacation site that has nothing but sailing cats to take out myself, but some are very expensive to visit. I am looking to go on a charter in 2 years where you sleep for 9 days on board a KAT!
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 19:34   #2

Nobody wants to talk?
Old 31-03-2009, 20:59   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
Nobody wants to talk?
I am in Phoenix, and my catamaran is in Florida. Talking is about the only thing I can do right now until I get more Freedom Chips.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:30   #4

Dave how does that work, if your so far away who looks after your boat? Do you live in Phoenix ? How did you decide in being separated from the boat.... I am still trying to figure out how long to wait to get mine, because I do not want to get one and then thing and feel its to small or wish I would have waited, because I plan on keeping what I get for a long time! What do you think? I like the Boats! I do like what you have but I would not be able to TOW that unless I trade my Truck in for a Dual tire! My wife would kill me! I am just trying to think in what we are going to d here!?? It is not easy to plan on what is going to happen! I have a lot of money going out in my head right now that I do not have! I wish I had Multihull friends close by!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01   #5

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
SOS,

If you are interested in trailerable tris, you might want to join the fboat list on yahoo groups. I know we have members in your area, and most of us love to take people out on our boats and in general talk about them.

Cheers,
Old 02-04-2009, 07:20   #6

I am on that also, I have asked but I feel like I am being a lost puppy looking for a ride! So I stopped asking and moved to Forums to try to find these people! I know they are out here? Its just hard when you don't have your own boat and if you have a boat your not on these forums!

I cant leave my location because of the JOB thing, but I can on the weekends, I am trying to figure out what to do for vacation this year me and my wife went o Jamaica last October, I did some day sailing on a Hobbie but it was ok, when the wind picks up they don't want you out there, I tried to go out when it was white capping, but they wouldn't let me!

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41   #7

Quote:
Dave how does that work, if your so far away who looks after your boat? Do you live in Phoenix ? How did you decide in being separated from the boat.... I am still trying to figure out how long to wait to get mine, because I do not want to get one and then thing and feel its to small or wish I would have waited, because I plan on keeping what I get for a long time! What do you think? I like the Boats! I do like what you have but I would not be able to TOW that unless I trade my Truck in for a Dual tire! My wife would kill me! I am just trying to think in what we are going to d here!?? It is not easy to plan on what is going to happen! I have a lot of money going out in my head right now that I do not have! I wish I had Multihull friends close by!
I have my boat stored on the hard while I am working in Phoenix. After living twenty-eight years offshore and sailing around the world, it was time to come home and assist with the care of elderly parents, plus we needed to earn some Freedom Chips. We are glad that we came back because my father and my wife's father both passed away last summer, and it was good that we were here. Things are beginning to settle down for us in our lives, and except for a broken arm with four pins in it for the past month, I am doing fine. Having a broken flipper reminds me of the frailty and shortness of life, and that it is important to be living my dreams.

Right now I am working as a flying doctor in the Indian Health Service, and that is a worthwhile adventure. It's not a sailboat, but I do like the sailing to windward at 300 mph at 9000 feet.

For everything in life, there is a time, and right now is the time to do family and earn some Freedom Chips. I also am keeping a promise to myself that I made years ago. I wrote some books on positive thinking that I will eventually publish in print format. But the truth is that it's less expensive and easier to publish on the web, and you can help a lot more people around the world. For now I have established a Positive Web Ring - POSITIVE WEB RING A Positive Place To Cruise The World Wide Web - that has ten positive websites that I created to send my stuff around the world for free to anyone interested. I get letters from people around the world saying that they enjoy cruising the sites on the Positive Web Ring. It costs a couple of thousand dollars a year to maintain the sites, but it's worth the price because I am living another one of my dreams. I'm really good at doing things that don't make money, but that make great memories. When it's all over, at least I will have lived my dreams..
Old 02-04-2009, 10:19   #8

I do believe thatthere is a time and a place for everything, I am so sorry about your parents! I do wantmy dream to come true someday. Iam in school to get my BS, and its good that i am doing it now because when I get sailing I think that is all I will want to do! I work for Doctors myself I am the IT guy for my family practices! You guys are amazing people, we do need you!

SO you sailed around the world? How long didit take you to do that? You are a dam good sailor ifyou did that, how did you decide in doing this and how do you train for this?

I would lovetodo that but wouldhave to be with someone that has done it bef0re!
Old 02-04-2009, 15:18   #9

Quote:
SO you sailed around the world? How long didit take you to do that? You are a dam good sailor ifyou did that, how did you decide in doing this and how do you train for this?

I would lovetodo that but wouldhave to be with someone that has done it bef0re!
We sailed around the world over an eleven year period working along the way. If I didn't work, it would not have happened.

I don't think you have to be a particularly good sailor to sail around the world, but you can't be a stupid one either. It's mainly about having a good and forgiving yacht, lots of persistence, a willingness to work hard, plenty of common sense, modest resources, a dash of luck, and not doing stupid things.

Learning how to sail is the easy part. We learned to sail on a 22 foot boat, then a 27 foot, then a 32 footer, and finally our 39 foot catamaran. It's not rocket science. It's more about how much you want it to happen.
Old 02-04-2009, 16:05   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Nobody wants to talk?
Not until you learn how to spell Cat

Quote:
Also in the future i can see me and the wife living aboard a 65ft Kat!
I am looking to go on a charter in 2 years where you sleep for 9 days on board a KAT!
Dave
Old 02-04-2009, 16:22   #11

My question is where did you work ?

How did you know where the Pirates weren't? I always hear about the scum that steal boats and then Kill you! I am always thinking about that if I were to sail somewhere how would I know where not to go?

Were you with your wife or did you do this by yourself, i guess the storms would really suck, but if you have the boat to handle that then that would be good! So what kind of Cats are Hurricane proof?
Old 02-04-2009, 19:32   #12

Quote:
My question is where did you work ?

How did you know where the Pirates weren't? I always hear about the scum that steal boats and then Kill you! I am always thinking about that if I were to sail somewhere how would I know where not to go?

Were you with your wife or did you do this by yourself, i guess the storms would really suck, but if you have the boat to handle that then that would be good! So what kind of Cats are Hurricane proof?
I popped in and out of Arabia to pay my way around the world. Doctors were in great demand and getting a temporary position was relatively easy.

We went through pirate alley in the Gulf of Aden without a problem. Not everyone is so fortunate, but much can be done to minimize risk of attack by pirates. There was a lot of hype about piracy in the Malacca straits as well, but at the time we went through, pirates were focusing on larger and more profitable prey - ships and tug boats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	piratesnake[1].jpg
Views:	374
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	7664

Here is a short piece about piracy in the Malacca Straits.

PIRATES OF THE MALACCA STRAITS

We did our circumnavigation as a family. My kids ended up being citizens of the world as a result of this trip. You could plunk them down any place on the planet, and they would survive without culture shock. Cruising is great training for young people to develop survival skills in our sometimes chaotic world. It also keeps the young people from being brainwashed by the media and saves them from a world ready to compress them into a cultural mold.

Avoiding hurricanes is relatively easy as long as you don't place your boat in the hemisphere with hurricanes. In the Caribbean you can sit out hurricane season in Trinidad.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:03   #13

When are you going to be back on the water and what part of florida is your boat? Maybe we can hook up one year if you wouldn't mine? Me and the wife are looking for a vacation spot this year to go, but last year we went to Jamaica to a all inclusive and that was my first time at something like that, it was awesome! But I am looking for something different like a sailing all inclusive but they are so much money!

So maybe I could find some friends that would not mind me or us hanging out?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13   #14

I don't know when I will get Exit Only back in the water. Life has a lot of twists and turns, and I'm not making any predictions. I'm always surprised by what happens and the way things turn out.

With respect to your situation, you need to make friends with peoople who sail on lake Erie. Start where you are.
Old 04-04-2009, 14:47   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Etienne Botes
I was wondering about you Captain Dave, didn't see any updates on your excellent blog.
I hope all works out that you will be out on Exit Only again. Your really excellent blog is a huge inspiration, your writing style a rare talent.

My very best to you,
Etienne
Etienne Botes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull