Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 14:39   #121

Re: Monohulllers, Tell Us What You Like About Multihulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Never met anyone with single hull envy but plenty with Multihull envy. Maybe you have Multihull envy? It's okay you can come out of the closet
Are you suggesting hulls are like penises? Perhaps multihulls are like that with a strap-on? Either way, one only needs one.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 14:49   #122
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Are we now comparing Hunters to Cats? Hunters still win.

Hunter owners are open minded
Old 19-12-2011, 14:57   #123
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Are you suggesting hulls are like penises? Perhaps multihulls are like that with a strap-on? Either way, one only needs one.
One only needs one arm and one leg but having two sure balances things out.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 15:14   #124

Boat: Finnsailer 38

As I said in the other thread, I've owned both and like some things about both. Right now I own a mono, but my last boat was a cat. The things I miss: shallow draft, lots of flat deck space, outboard power (I know a lot of people don't like that, but I prefer to be able to take the motor into the shop for major work or swap it out in a day when necessary), possibility of being unsinkable (mine was), running down wind like you're on rails, the possibility of some really good runs (particularly off the wind), the ability to use a wide anchor bridle to keep the bow pointed right into the wind, no rolling at anchor in a swell, lighter weight for the same length, no requirement for jack stands when hauled out, safe and easy to take the ground either by accident or on purpose, did I say shallow draft and shallow draft?
Old 19-12-2011, 15:17   #125

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

As a confirmed monohull sailor with a fair bit of multihull experience, here is what I like about multis. Other than the fast racing cats and tris, which I really like and where my experience lies, what I like about the current crop of cruising cats is this: they are the perfection of the old idea of the motor-sailor. I say this without irony.

Consider comparing a 45 foot cat with a 72 foot Rhodes or S&S steel motor sailor of the 1960s:
1. Cats offer twin screws with real distance between the shafts for twisting the boat around in close quarter manuevers.
2. Cats offer loads of staterooms, where the old mono motor sailers might max out at three (plus crew quarters).
3. Cats offer shallower draft. The best a seventy plus footer would have offered - maybe 6 feet with a centerboard.
4. Cats are not cheap, but still much cheaper new than our example mono.
5. Cats would be much cheaper to maintain - especially if the old mono was a woodie, or even a steel-built. Crew costs would be sigificantly less, too.
6. Medium-large cats sail downwind as well or better than a large mono.
7. Cats are easier to sail with modern furling and reefing gear. Who wants to mess with an old style mainsail on a cruising 72 foot ketch? Not me.
8. I reckon that dockage would be cheaper for the cat, but I don't have any examples.

The only measurable advantage I can think of for the large monohull motor sailor would be when powering - both the increased range and tankage, and the ability to slam-bang motor to windward would be better on the old Phil Rhodes. She'd be prettier, too, but that's not measurable.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 15:25   #126

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Billy: I don't think you can make the argument that cats are cheap, except maybe in comparing interior square footage per $, and a lot of boatyards and marinas here on the East Coast double rates for cats and tris. That isn't a misprint--they double rates in many cases. Plus, you have much less choice in where to get hauled out because of the beam, which means you tend to have to go to the huge boatyards with giant Travelifts, which are generally top dollar. Forget the small Yankee boatyards where they haul on an old railway or with an old crane, or even the yards that use a tiny ancient travelift type thing, which are generally far, far cheaper. But the main difference is that you can buy a large, comfortable, good performing used monohull for a fraction of the cost of a typical cruising cat. Also, on maintenance I don't think you win out either. Cats have a lot more surface area to maintain, take more time and paint to do the bottom, are much tougher on the rigging and require heavier stuff, often have twin engines requiring twice the maintenance bill, etc.
Old 19-12-2011, 15:41   #127

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Billy: I don't think you can make the argument that cats are cheap, except maybe in comparing interior square footage per $, and a lot of boatyards and marinas here on the East Coast double rates for cats and tris. That isn't a misprint--they double rates in many cases. Plus, you have much less choice in where to get hauled out because of the beam, which means you tend to have to go to the huge boatyards with giant Travelifts, which are generally top dollar. Forget the small Yankee boatyards where they haul on an old railway or with an old crane, or even the yards that use a tiny ancient travelift type thing, which are generally far, far cheaper. But the main difference is that you can buy a large, comfortable, good performing used monohull for a fraction of the cost of a typical cruising cat. Also, on maintenance I don't think you win out either. Cats have a lot more surface area to maintain, take more time and paint to do the bottom, are much tougher on the rigging and require heavier stuff, often have twin engines requiring twice the maintenance bill, etc.
I was comparing "motor-sailors" of various hull numbers. Sure multi-hulls are expensive, but so are all yachts. I would estimate that a new copy of a Rhodes 77, for an example - maybe $2.5 million plain jane, to $4 million decked out. And for my money, the heavy "motor-sailor" style multi-hull would be the better choice in all but high latitude locations.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 17:40   #128

Boat: 1976 Ranger 28

As a liveaboard I could really appreciate the space, don't have much experience on multihulls but the one trimaran i've sailed flew down wind!(we got it up to 17 knots!!! at least for a few seconds ) too bad multis seem to be 20 - 100 times what i paid for my boat. when i win the lottery it might be my first purchase. how are they to singlehand? (a major factor for me)
jSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 18:22   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I dont think many people have cracked the code on comparing monos and multis, or just don't want to admit what a better measure might be than LOA.

For "new" boats price point may be fairer. i.e. what does half a million or a million buy?

For two used boats, price point or even dock fee might be appropriate.

For my "wish" boat. It is about a 5/6 year old 38-40 multi with a target price of $250k. It will likely be coming off charter so I either have to search and snap up an owners version or compromise and settle for 4 berths.

There are a zillion awesome monos for $250k.

One thing is for sure. Comparing LOA is not the fair comparison,
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 20:33   #130

A used boat is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If used multihulls are more expensive than used monohulls, that suggests more people are prepared to pay more money to buy them.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 01:12   #131

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

+ I really like the trampoline.
+ I love the enormous saloon with 360 views.
+ It seems much harder to fall overboard, since the edges are far away.
+ The engine placement, and smaller engines, makes motoring very quiet.
+ Faster motoring in flat water is fun.
+ Having so many friends over at once is fun.
+ I like not needing a whisker or spinnaker pole.

Negatives? Well, they are more about us than about catamarans. When we last in the Sea of Cortez we thought-- a trawler would be awesome here. I feel the same about catamarans, they really are wonderful in certain situations. But a monohull best fits our current style and the voyages we are planning.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 02:12   #132
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
One thing is for sure. Comparing LOA is not the fair comparison,
The easy answer is to double the length of a Mono to allow for the LOA on 2 hulls........but I think the fairer comparison is probably adding only 50% to a Mono (in price and accomadation terms) - i.e. 40' Cat to 60' Mono......how tthe pros and cons of each (esp. the draft, accomadation layout and sailing style) meet the requirements of someone is a matter of personal choice.

Obviously someone buys what they want / suits there own needs and desires (not what others think they should - internet and real life).....and if that be a Mono or a Multi then so be it. No one else really cares either way.

FWIW can't say I would ever spend $250k on any boat, let alone $500k - but that's just me . For that sort of budget plenty of other boat related options around the world.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 04:01   #133

seahunter and all who think like him! You gotta be smokin the good stuff! You guys are just afraid of the SPEED! U cant hang.... + $$$ If you got why not do it right!
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 04:39   #134
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3
seahunter and all who think like him! You gotta be smokin the good stuff! You guys are just afraid of the SPEED! U cant hang.... + $$$ If you got why not do it right!
And you still do not understand that you're posting in the wrong thread

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 05:44   #135

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper
I realy like this one, dirt cheap aswell....

Sorry about the pic size...
Waiting for the tide to come in then?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote