Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 03:59   #1

Maxim/Voyage 380 Head Room

My wife and I are currently looking at catamarans in the 38 to 42 foot range.
I have been looking at Leopards and hope to find an owner's suite boat.

Yesterday I came across a Maxim 380 for sale for a reasonable price but can find no information about the headroom on this boat. I am 6'4''' and run about 200.

Can anybody tell me about the headroom in this boat as well as room in the birth in the owner's suite? I can sleep catty-corner to get enough room in bed but don't want to have to stoop for long periods of time in the salon.

I know that it will be shorter on the sides but I am looking for a boat that I can stand up at least in the center.

I would also like to add that the boat I am looking at is an 03 or newer because I know there was a change in the hull design after hull number 23 in this line.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated!
Bigal56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:27   #2
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Maxim/Voyage 380 Head Room

My husband is the same height (a little heavier though), and head height has been an issue for us as well. We found the Lagoon 380 works well, but we also saw a 2009 Seawind 1190 (one that was made in australia, not the newer ones made in vietnam) that had incredible head room. We passed on that one because the master cabin made me feel really claustrophobic (could not sit up in the bed), but all the other headspace was impressive.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 14:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Also look at an Admiral 38 or 40 - they have good headroom.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 07:35   #4

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Welcome and Hello Bigal56.

Check your Private Messages
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 08:42   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Welcome and Hello Bigal56.

Check your Private Messages

Bigal only has the one post so the PM option may not work yet. This is in place to prevent scallywags from opening an account and then instantly spamming members.
Old 13-11-2018, 09:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal56 View Post
My wife and I are currently looking at catamarans in the 38 to 42 foot range.
I have been looking at Leopards and hope to find an owner's suite boat.

Yesterday I came across a Maxim 380 for sale for a reasonable price but can find no information about the headroom on this boat. I am 6'4''' and run about 200.

Can anybody tell me about the headroom in this boat as well as room in the birth in the owner's suite? I can sleep catty-corner to get enough room in bed but don't want to have to stoop for long periods of time in the salon.

I know that it will be shorter on the sides but I am looking for a boat that I can stand up at least in the center.

I would also like to add that the boat I am looking at is an 03 or newer because I know there was a change in the hull design after hull number 23 in this line.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated!
Howdy BIGGAL!

Welcome Aboard CF!

I sailed on a Maxim 380 from Cayman Islands to upper Chesapeake (about 1,700nm) earlier this summer. I don’t recall the age/year of the boat, but it was about that age.

I am 6’ tall.

I did not sleep in the master cabin, but saw it. I slept in the aft, starboard side cabin (3 stateroom model).

I did all of the cooking in the galley, and went inside each of the cabins for various reasons. I never hit my head or felt there were low ceilings (overhead), but of course I am 6’ not 6’4”.

The berth I was on was long enough for me, but it may seem a little short for someone 6’4”. I recall having my head to aft (with lower overhead) and my feet dangled off the edge of the mattress for comfort (so my head was not in lowest space). The master cabin has more room and a private shower/head.

The walkthrough head on starboard side was tight and there appeared to be little standing room in the forward starboard cabin.

In the aft cabin, there was enough room to stand up at the end of the bunk, but very little space to turn around, and no storage for personal gear. I kept my seabag beside me on the “double” bunk. I think you would feel cramped in that cabin.

The aft cabin I was in had the berth over the engine compartment, separated by a piece of plywood and a relative thin mattress. As the engine was runnning, and we were in the summer in the Caribbean, that was a very hot place to sleep. I had to keep the portlights and overhead hatch closed due to splashes from waves (spray) and occasional light rain. This meant sleeping on a hot surface as the engine heat caused the mattress to feel like a hot blanket beneath, and with little air ciruculation it became hot, humid, and stuffy at times.

The main saloon has a domed overhead, and if seated at the saloon table you should have plenty of head room. The same with the galley. Sorry, I don’t have exact measurements.

The companionway is low, so you will have to duck (I hit my head a few times entering or exiting the saloon to go to the cockpit). There are multiple steps to go up or down, and that can reduce the headroom near the companionway. So you may have to hunch over there when exiting.

The cockpit “pilot” or helm seat is rather uncomfortable, with awkward placement for leg support. Each of the three people who sat there remarked that the seat design was not optimal. Knees are very close to the wheel on the bulkhead and the seat itself has minimal support for back.

If you would like a few more observations (I won’t post here), send me an email via the contact tab on my profile page. I hope this helps you.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 09:39   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You have probably seen this boat if you are searching for a Maxim 380. I am sharing the link here so others can see the interior photos and helm station, cockpit, etc. The photos show how the saloon overhead slopes down forward, and shows the headroom at the nav station, galley, etc.

Unfortuntely, I cannot post the photos here, so others will need to look at the linked photos instead, if interested.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...m-380-3166856/
Old 13-11-2018, 10:20   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A few photo showing a sister boat to what I sailed on. Notice the interior spaces.

NOTE! The use of a wide angle lens makes the photos of the berths (bunks) which are athwartship, seem wider and deeper (larger) than they may actually appear when you are in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxim 380 sailing.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	180569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxim 380 cockpit.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	180570  

Name:	Maxim 380 helm.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	180571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxim 380 Saloon.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	180572  

Name:	Maxim 380 galley.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	180573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxim 380 saloon nav station .jpg
Views:	190
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	180574  

Name:	Maxim 380 master cabin bunk.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	180575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxim 380 starboard forward cabin.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	180576  

Old 13-11-2018, 10:32   #9

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
My husband is the same height (a little heavier though), and head height has been an issue for us as well. We found the Lagoon 380 works well, but we also saw a 2009 Seawind 1190 (one that was made in australia, not the newer ones made in vietnam) that had incredible head room. We passed on that one because the master cabin made me feel really claustrophobic (could not sit up in the bed), but all the other headspace was impressive.
I don't think the Seawind 1190 was in production that long ago, and all of them have been made in Vietnam.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 20:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
A few photo showing a sister boat to what I sailed on. Notice the interior spaces.

NOTE! The use of a wide angle lens makes the photos of the berths (bunks) which are athwartship, seem wider and deeper (larger) than they may actually appear when you are in the boat.
This is the Maxim 380 recently for sale in NZ. Might still be. I am 187cm and it had just enough headroom for me in most spaces. Still a small Cat and as long as you remember that, all good. We are looking to buy a smaller 35ft Cat that has perhaps less headroom but part of the compromise of available budget vs Cat or Monohull. I am prepared to just be prepared to knock head occasionally.
ColinCattanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 13:54   #11

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Mine is identical to the photos shown by Steadman,At 6ft1 the headroom is okay but I would like more at 6ft4 probably pushes the limit.Bed wise a bit sideways sleeping however headroom in bed is very limited.A very good solid boat though.As asked on another post I’m trying to get into contact with someone who has exchanged engines as to how they went about it?Cheers Geoff.PS I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, maxi