Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 00:11   #1

Leopard 46 buying in Florida/BVI - tips needed

Hi, first time poster, long time reader. Anyway, we intend to fly over to Florida / BVI from New Zealand in Sep-Oct 2014 and buy a Leopard 46 and sail back to NZ.

Can anyone supply some useful advice on
A) What to look for in a used (2008 ish) Leopard 46 ?
B) Helpful hints on the buying transaction ?

Cheers
Greg
NZ_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 00:19   #2

Boat: Arber 14m Sou'easter
Re: Leopard 46 buying in Florida/BVI - tips needed

Hi Greg,
Good luck with the buying process - one point - at that time of the year you will be a bit late for getting through the canal and down to NZ before the cyclone season unless you sail straight through - or were you intending to stay around until the new year and then do your trip .....?
1paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 00:50   #3

Yep, plan to head through in 2015 after a carib trip.
NZ_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_Greg View Post
Yep, plan to head through in 2015 after a carib trip.
Sounds good - are you in Auckland ? If so could meet up and give some feedback on how I found things in making a purchase - although mine was bought locally I considered several in the US beforehand
Old 07-07-2014, 03:03   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi NZ Greg & 1paulg. I've also got the exact same plan, same boat same locations to buy! 1paulg I'm currently staying in Bay of Plenty and would love a chat!
Sandy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45   #6

Regarding currency exchange rates...

Use OzForex (or similar) when doing the transaction to USD account. It will save you some money. So, sign up an account. I have used ozforex two times when I have been buying boats.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:41   #7

Hi Sandy ...sent a pm with my contacts
Old 14-07-2014, 13:45   #8

Boat: Leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_Greg View Post
Hi, first time poster, long time reader. Anyway, we intend to fly over to Florida / BVI from New Zealand in Sep-Oct 2014 and buy a Leopard 46 and sail back to NZ.

Can anyone supply some useful advice on
A) What to look for in a used (2008 ish) Leopard 46 ?
B) Helpful hints on the buying transaction ?

Cheers
Greg
Hi Greg,
Can't help you with the trip to OZ part, but we bought a 2009 L46 from the Moorings brokerage in BVI in March 2012 and took delivery in October of that year after their phase-out. Are you looking at the Moorings brokerage website? Best place to find used Leopard 46's. You might be a bit late for Sep/Oct delivery. You should get in touch with them soon.

We love the boat. Excellent combination of seaworthiness and comfort. About as large as I'd want to go for a cruising couple. Ours is still in the BVI where we use it.

I would advise getting a 2009 or newer. They have steps to the helm seat from the cockpit, much easier than having to go around all the time. Check the engine and genset hours. Moorings charterers use those a lot, but Moorings does a decent job of maintenance and their phase out is good if you pay close attention. Get a good surveyor to help set your phase out requirements list.

Good luck!

Rob
RRMontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:23   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRMontgo View Post
Hi Greg,
Can't help you with the trip to OZ part, but we bought a 2009 L46 from the Moorings brokerage in BVI in March 2012 and took delivery in October of that year after their phase-out. Are you looking at the Moorings brokerage website? Best place to find used Leopard 46's. You might be a bit late for Sep/Oct delivery. You should get in touch with them soon.

We love the boat. Excellent combination of seaworthiness and comfort. About as large as I'd want to go for a cruising couple. Ours is still in the BVI where we use it.

I would advise getting a 2009 or newer. They have steps to the helm seat from the cockpit, much easier than having to go around all the time. Check the engine and genset hours. Moorings charterers use those a lot, but Moorings does a decent job of maintenance and their phase out is good if you pay close attention. Get a good surveyor to help set your phase out requirements list.

Good luck!

Rob
Further to Rob's advice - you'll want a good surveyor. Best to use Bill Bailey or West Indies Marine Surveys: both companies are totally in the groove with phase-out surveys and will give you a good hit list to negotiate with.

I have attended many of these surveys for absentee owners and organised the necessary supervision and control of the hit list repair / replacement work. Having worked for the Moorings I know the guys well, particularly the technical Manager, Robert.

So - if there's anything I can do for you, send me a pm. [I'm delivering a cat at the moment but should be back in BVI next week] Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, florida, leopard, leopard 46