Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 00:40   #1

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Leopard 38 Near Sydney ?

Hi I was wondering if there are any proud Leopard 38 owners near Sydney Australia that would be prepared to show me their boat?
It's fine to look at all the nice pictures on the internet and the Leopards look great but I have found you really need to see them in person to appreciate how good a boat design is.
I happy to bring some wine or beer for your trouble, if it saves me flying all over the place, as there are so few cats for sale in Sydney let alone Australia.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Boats for sale!

Hi Dragon Lady,
Why stop at a Leopard 38, we have an Orana 44 here in Sydney you could look at just say the word.
Regards Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 14:25   #3

Thanks Gordon,

That would be great, I'm trying to keep my feet on the ground but it's proving difficult. Cosidering I started out wanting a 25 foot Halversion timber power boat to spend the night on because our Etchells has no accomadation. I'm now looking at 37foot cruising cats who knows wfere it will end?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:46   #4

Boat: Outremer 5X
G'day fellow Aussies,

I moved to the USA many years ago, but am originally from Sydney!

Regarding the two boats you are discussing, I was at the Paris boat show in December, and the Miami show last month. My short list (on paper) was down to the Lagoon 440, the Leopard 46 and the Orana 44. After the Miami show we are definitely considering the Leopard 46. I really don't like the flybridge helm station on the Lagoon. There was no Orana at either show so I still haven't seen one yet.

A couple of observations from the boats I have seen. I know a lot of people will disagree with me about this, but the 38 foot boats are just too small for comfortable blue water cruising IMO. They are perfect for weekend trips and the odd week in the Whitsundays, but I can't imagine living on one. Comparing the Leopard 46 to the Leopard 38 is just night and day. They are two completely different classes of boat. You can't tell from the brochures, but when you step aboard it's obvious.

I was also eager to see the Seawind boats and there was an 1160 at the Miami show. We took a look at it, but it's the same thing. Just way too small, not a very good cockpit, and all the lines routed on top of the deck make it a chore to move around. Definitely not a good fit for us. Maybe it's just as well because with the exchange rate where it is, buying an Australian boat is out of the question. You get a lot more boat for your $US or Euro right now.

I'm planning on being at the Sydney show in July, so hopefully we can see the Orana 44 there. If not, I think we're buying the Leopard 46.

Good luck, and definitely whatever you do, don't buy a boat until you have spent a good amount of time in/on it.

Cheers,
Doug
Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 13:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Hi Doug, Welcome to the forum. Like you we found the Seawind 1160 size a little too small for longer live aboard cruising and picked a boat giving us the comfort but still easily managed by a couple. We love the Orana 44 as this is an easy boat to sail and very comfortable. We have had our boat now for two years and we have had only positive experiences, a very solid and well thought out design.
We will be showing the Orana this May at Sanctuary Cove Boat Show, which is the largest on water boat show in Australia and also with the largest display of Catamarans,and for the first time they will all be displayed togeather on a common pier making comparrisons easier. We will also be in the Sydney Show, a much smaller display of boats on the water. Please look us up and we also invite you to join us at any time for a sail just drop us a msg.
Regards Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 14:01   #6

Hi Gordon,

Thanks very much for the generous offer. I would love to meet you and learn more about the Orana when we are in Sydney. Unfortunately I can't make the May show, but I will contact you to arrange something around the time of the Sydney show.

Best regards,
Doug
Old 10-03-2010, 19:12   #7

Boat: 45ft Leopard cat
Hey Dragon Lady,

Our Leopard 45 arrived at the Spit Marina in Sydney a couple of weeks ago, after a three-and-a-half day run from Bundaberg. It's much the same vintage as the 38 (but very different in size). I also have an old 38 brochure hanging around somewhere. I'd be happy to show you around.

Big Macca
Big Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 20:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
Hey Dragon Lady,

Our Leopard 45 arrived at the Spit Marina in Sydney a couple of weeks ago, after a three-and-a-half day run from Bundaberg. It's much the same vintage as the 38 (but very different in size). I also have an old 38 brochure hanging around somewhere. I'd be happy to show you around.

Big Macca
Thanks Macca that would be great I'm at Gordon so you're nice and close.

Dave
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
Hey Dragon Lady,

Big Macca
I'm not sure you guys are talking about the same boat. The Leopard 38 is a new design just released this year. It won Cruising World Magazine's 2010 Boat of the Year award. Here's a link: Leopard 38/Sunsail 384 wins the Triple Crown! « Morrelli & Melvin Design & Engineering, Inc.

Cheers,
Doug
Old 11-03-2010, 14:46   #10

Oh d'uh! How embarrassing. Forget I spoke!

Big Macca
Old 11-03-2010, 14:48   #11

Dave, give me a call on 0418 537 632.

Big Macca
Old 11-03-2010, 17:08   #12

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
I'm not sure you guys are talking about the same boat. The Leopard 38 is a new design just released this year. It won Cruising World Magazine's 2010 Boat of the Year award. Here's a link: Leopard 38/Sunsail 384 wins the Triple Crown! « Morrelli & Melvin Design & Engineering, Inc.Cheers,
Doug
Doug, you have a little catching up to do on your catamaran genealogy. Actually, the Moorings 3800/Leopard 38 was a Simonis design for Leopard and Moorings and preceded both Morrelli & Melvin's Moorings 4000/Leopard 40 AND the new Leopard 38/Sunsail 384.

Big Macca refers to it as being around the same vintage as his Leopard 45 and that he probably has an old Leopard 38 brochure and he is probably right. The Moorings 3800/Leopard 38 have all been phased out of the Moorings Fleet, but Footloose Charters still evidently charters them. Footloose Sailing Charters - Charter Fleet - Yacht Details

The Moorings 3800 was one of the boats I considered while I was trying to find my present boat. It might not be quite as quick as the M&M designs, but it was well rated and solidly built. Probably a good choice if you can find one in Australia, Dragon Lady.

Actually there is one on YachtHub.com, but seems to be way overpriced (though I don't know $Australian)! Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ Yacht Hub Australia & New Zealand

Marshall
Old 11-03-2010, 17:44   #13

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Leopard 38

Here's a pretty good rundown on what they are selling for on Yachtworld.com (mostly in the BVI where they are coming out of charter):

leopard (Sail) Multi-Hull Boats For Sale

Marshall
Old 11-03-2010, 21:04   #14

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Dragon Lady

Had mine for 4 years use it daily and think its great.Check out the website www.goldcoastsailing.com and email me for anything you need or want to know.Cheers Jacana-Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 22:32   #15

Thanks everyone, just to clarify I am looking at the early boats which seem like pretty good value at just below $200K USD.
There seems to be a glut of these boats on the market as I suppose they are starting to get too old for chartering and the private non chartered boat are caught up in as well.
The non us boat are the cheapest and as I want export the boat this is even better.
Engines seem to be the main concern with some high hours though some brokers are quoting $20K for a repower again what a bargain.
The Australian market is so over priced IMO but may be in for an adjustment we will see.
Anyway Macca very keen to view your boat I'll call you very soon.

Thanks

Dave

Tags
leopard, sydney