Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 11:41   #16

Re: L400 performance

well maybe we will run into each other somewhere. We were planning on leaving the anchorage tomorrow but the forecast was for next to no wind so we got out today. Had a good sail, around 4 hours got us here. Will take your advice on the tour.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:47   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Beware Santa Cruz Marina (the main, city one) is said to try (and) charge horrendous lights tax. I hope this is no longer the case but I have heard many nasty stories from very sad skippers.

Possibly investigate beforehand directly at source.

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:50   #18

And what do you mean by lights tax my friend?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
And what do you mean by lights tax my friend?
Robert, you Jamaican too, my friend?

I mean a lights tax, my friend.

On a more serious note though, my friends:

Los barcos de recreo pagarán una nueva tasa

I have seen this one coming into life. Some marinas would spread evenly but some others asked in advance payment of say 6 months' value. That was the case with Tenerife main (city) marina.

Ask at source for current status and any further explanations.

If you find out this is still the case, PLS post here so that others may use your input.

Cheers,
b.
Old 07-10-2014, 13:06   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: L400 performance

Its a big hydraulic ram on the actual quadrant as it not only have to deal with a wire driven rudder... it has a chain driven trim tab on the keel..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 13:59   #21

When we pay up I will post our experience in Santa Cruz, my friend!
Old 07-11-2014, 23:11   #22

Boat: LAGOON 400

performance in 15 to 30 kn is real good windward even with couple of reefs.

what makes this generation of lagoon special is ease boat goes against waves due to hull design. Remember older generation cats were pounding but this one has smoother ride.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Robert, you Jamaican too, my friend?

I mean a lights tax, my friend.

On a more serious note though, my friends:

Los barcos de recreo pagarán una nueva tasa

I have seen this one coming into life. Some marinas would spread evenly but some others asked in advance payment of say 6 months' value. That was the case with Tenerife main (city) marina.

Ask at source for current status and any further explanations.

If you find out this is still the case, PLS post here so that others may use your input.

Cheers,
b.
OK we have checked out of Santa Cruz and here's the dope. In all municipal marinas here there is a navigation tax or as my friend Barnacle calls it a light tax(although its not exactly light) The tax is for 30 days and you have to pay it in full from day 1 whether you stay 1 day or 30 days. It is paid on all boats over 12 meters and is based on LxW. There are in fact many taxes as you can see but the end cost to us was just over 30 Euro a night. If we would have stayed a full month the rate would have dropped because the tax would have been spread out over 30 days rather than 14 and in Barnacle's friends case if he stayed 2 nights he would have been nailed with 45 Euro a night just for tax plus the marina fees. We are now in a private marina in Pasito Blanco in Grand Canaria and we pay a little over 24 Euro a night all taxes in. The extra $$$ to stay in Santa Cruz was not a deal killer because we had family visiting there and it is a beautiful island to visit and tour but as Barnacle mentions not a place for a couple of nights unless your wallet is fat. I'm attaching our invoice so you can see the variety of taxes and fees applicable. Cheers, R
Old 08-11-2014, 02:07   #24

Here's the quote from the Santa Cruz marina...quote and what we were billed was the same...so no surprises...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Santa Cruz Quote.pdf (109.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 08-11-2014, 03:54   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks Robert. BTW I have since noticed my windspeed has been over reading by about 20% so 20-25K was actually closer to 15-20. I had been suspicious of the windspeed calibration but have confirmed it after checking a few other yachts here. Another week till we head across the Atlantic from lanzarote, all going well and forecast looks good Very happy with he Atlantic Odyssey so far, lots of seminars, parties and meeting a ton of nice people along the way...(even some off CF) !
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:37   #26

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Thanks Robert. BTW I have since noticed my windspeed has been over reading by about 20% so 20-25K was actually closer to 15-20. I had been suspicious of the windspeed calibration but have confirmed it after checking a few other yachts here. Another week till we head across the Atlantic from lanzarote, all going well and forecast looks good Very happy with he Atlantic Odyssey so far, lots of seminars, parties and meeting a ton of nice people along the way...(even some off CF) !
interesting. my speedo shows 1.2 kn less than GPS SOG, when driving in circle at around 6 kn to eliminate impact of current.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:52   #27

THX Robert!

So it seems they still charge the lights tax in full as they used to.

I was told the next marina down the coast (some 6 miles South or thereabout) spreads the tax over 365 days. Worth investigating if one's stay is shorter and their boat not of the inflated ego type.

Cheers,
b.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Looks like you made a good choice there with the rally, good move. Met some other nice folks that are part of your group. I guess your wind instruments are quite important on a Cat, are you going to be able to calibrate them? When do you guys leave? R
Old 08-11-2014, 07:15   #29
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes Robert, I just re calibrated to 80% and it's closer now! maybe a little high but that's ok. The odyssey departs in a week, nov 16th.when are you heading south/west?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:24   #30

I guess you guys are stopping in the CV islands for a bit?? We want to leave around the 3rd week this month depending on weather. We are sailing direct. R