Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 10:18   #1

It's fun to read you guys talking about picking new cats.

While I sit here and read you guys talk about how to choose $100,000-$300,000 boats and discussing the pros and cons of each model and make has me daydreaming about being able to go through such a process and being able to choose things. lol You're very fortunate and I'm sure you who can do this has worked hard to be able to do this.

I'm a police officer in a medium size city and my dream is to sail in a catamaran through out the ICW and the Bahama's. I am retiring in 7 years with a very modest pension and starting now to save. I now have my home for sale to get my budget down to be able to save for a boat. I predict that I'll end up with about $60,000-$80,000 for the boat and start up expenses. After that, I will have approx. $1,500 a month to live on from my pension.

The whole point here is that I am in awe at how some of you guys/gals can shop around for new boats and I can live vicariously through you and daydream. I assume it's like how someone on welfare may find me shopping for a brand new car. I have the reality that when I am able to purchase, I will not be able to shop around and get that "perfect" boat of my dreams but will be getting the best possible boat in my price range. No matter, I am sure I will be ecstatic when the time arrives and I find something nice and new-to-me. When I see pictures and discussions of those beautiful NEW catamarans, I just think to myself, "Damn! I should have went to college and realized this dream sooner!" lol Here's to hoping in 7 years, prices go down on nice used cats!
SpeedsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 10:26   #2

Re: It's fun to read you guys talking about picking new cats.

Prices ARE down on nice used cats, and I'd be real surprised to hear that people are paying cash for these boats
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 11:27   #3

Boat: wharram tiki 26

As someone on a modest income by western standards i looked long and hard at how to get myself a catamaran.I too drooled at all the flashy new cats, they have everything and a lot more that opens and shuts. Some of these cats, actually if I am honest have more in common with a penthouse suite than my humble abode.

So what was a poor boy meant to do? Well after realizing that there is just no way i would be able to ever buy a large ocean going cat new or used,let alone afford the upkeep of such a thing, I looked around for another option.

This is when i stumbled upon the world of James Wharram and his philosophy of a boat for every man. I am by no means a hippie, they give me the shits at farmers markets that i have a fresh produce stall. The questions about organic/sprayfree produce goes on ad nauseam. Their ''concern'' for where the produce is grown and it's providence strikes me as so much rich white peoples worries to be a real turn off.

I figured out I could skip the hippie crap and be able to build a modest catamaran that could take me to the places i would like to venture. I started my build 3 years ago and am going at a steady pace with the launch imminent.The building of this craft has given me a wonderful boost in confidence of my abilities if I just take the time to ''read the label''.I had not used a skill saw or planer in anger before building this boat.

It has been a massive learning curve.I still need to learn to sail the boat, tie proper knots read a chart and navigate, but it is all here you just need to ask. This site and others have been a goldmine for a joker with stars in his eyes and no idea, thankfully i have learned and continue to do so.
The boat has it's shortcomings for sure. I doubt if i will be the target of gold diggers.Not having a washing machine, atm on board does this i suppose.

When i look at the catamaran i built, it represents a ''dream machine'' this thing will make a lot of those daydreams come true and hopefully not many nightmares.Once she is launched in good time i will scrape some money together and live where it is cheap to do so. The best thing about my boat is that it will not cost a billion dollars to repair, and i will have the knowledge to carry out the repairs. I am busy making trampolines out of knotless netting at the moment. I chose the knotless stuff so it does not put dimples in the ladies buts one day

Basically what I am saying is there are may ways to skin a cat and own one, do not let those lovely sparkly new billion dollar cats put you of getting your own.Good luck to you.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
As someone on a modest income by western standards i looked long and hard at how to get myself a catamaran.I too drooled at all the flashy new cats, they have everything and a lot more that opens and shuts. Some of these cats, actually if I am honest have more in common with a penthouse suite than my humble abode. So what was a poor boy meant to do? Well after realizing that there is just no way i would be able to ever buy a large ocean going cat new or used,let alone afford the upkeep of such a thing, I looked around for another option. This is when i stumbled upon the world of James Wharram and his philosophy of a boat for every man. I am by no means a hippie, they give me the shits at farmers markets that i have a fresh produce stall. The questions about organic/sprayfree produce goes on ad nauseam. Their ''concern'' for where the produce is grown and it's providence strikes me as so much rich white peoples worries to be a real turn off. I figured out I could skip the hippie crap and be able to build a modest catamaran that could take me to the places i would like to venture. I started my build 3 years ago and am going at a steady pace with the launch imminent.The building of this craft has given me a wonderful boost in confidence of my abilities if I just take the time to ''read the label''.I had not used a skill saw or planer in anger before building this boat. It has been a massive learning curve.I still need to learn to sail the boat, tie proper knots read a chart and navigate, but it is all here you just need to ask. This site and others have been a goldmine for a joker with stars in his eyes and no idea, thankfully i have learned and continue to do so. The boat has it's shortcomings for sure. I doubt if i will be the target of gold diggers.Not having a washing machine, atm on board does this i suppose. When i look at the catamaran i built, it represents a ''dream machine'' this thing will make a lot of those daydreams come true and hopefully not many nightmares.Once she is launched in good time i will scrape some money together and live where it is cheap to do so. The best thing about my boat is that it will not cost a billion dollars to repair, and i will have the knowledge to carry out the repairs. I am busy making trampolines out of knotless netting at the moment. I chose the knotless stuff so it does not put dimples in the ladies buts one day Basically what I am saying is there are may ways to skin a cat and own one, do not let those lovely sparkly new billion dollar cats put you of getting your own.Good luck to you.
But did your cat cost $80k to build?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:24   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Speedster, if it's a cat your after why does it have to be newish?

I think this thread is great and some of the posts nearly had me reach for the cheque book and the phone for a taxi to the airport:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cts-87193.html

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:25   #6

No mate, nowhere near. I think with all the rigging,sails,motor, solar,batteries autopilot parachute etc. This includes epoxy and other bulding materials. Building in Australia is probably one of the most expensive places to do so, yet I managed somehow. I am looking at about au $26 k for the entire build.
Old 17-10-2013, 12:28   #7

Quote:
No mate, nowhere near. I think with all the rigging,sails,motor, solar,batteries autopilot parachute etc. This includes epoxy and other bulding materials. Building in Australia is probably one of the most expensive places to do so, yet I managed somehow. I am looking at about au $26 k for the entire build.
Old 17-10-2013, 12:32   #8

I know where you are coming from OP, just day dreaming right now but moving ever closer to becoming a reality. Was at the Annapolis boat show recently saying to myself, "wow, I can't wait to be the second owner of this boat" (in 10 years I can probably afford a 10 yr old one )
Old 17-10-2013, 12:39   #9

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
The whole point here is that I am in awe at how some of you guys/gals can shop around for new boats and I can live vicariously through you and daydream. I assume it's like how someone on welfare may find me shopping for a brand new car. I have the reality that when I am able to purchase, I will not be able to shop around and get that "perfect" boat of my dreams but will be getting the best possible boat in my price range.

Keep in mind that many of the people here putting down hundreds of thousands of dollars on their boats are not wealthy. Many of them are working middle class like yourself. So they either pay for their boat by selling their home, or take out huge boat mortgages, and pay their loans over many years. Interest rates are still very low, so that helps. It looks like you are probably going the more sensible route though, without incurring debt.

If all you have is a 1500/month pension, you can probably still live very comfortably on a boat, especially if you move to another country.

Like you, I am looking to buy a boat after retirement in a few years. Hopefully house prices will be back up by then, since if we sell our house for a decent price we can get the boat of our dreams.

I wish you luck in your search!
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterX View Post
While I sit here and read you guys talk about how to choose $100,000-$300,000 boats and discussing the pros and cons of each model and make has me daydreaming about being able to go through such a process and being able to choose things. lol You're very fortunate and I'm sure you who can do this has worked hard to be able to do this.

I'm a police officer in a medium size city and my dream is to sail in a catamaran through out the ICW and the Bahama's. I am retiring in 7 years with a very modest pension and starting now to save. I now have my home for sale to get my budget down to be able to save for a boat. I predict that I'll end up with about $60,000-$80,000 for the boat and start up expenses. After that, I will have approx. $1,500 a month to live on from my pension.

The whole point here is that I am in awe at how some of you guys/gals can shop around for new boats and I can live vicariously through you and daydream. I assume it's like how someone on welfare may find me shopping for a brand new car. I have the reality that when I am able to purchase, I will not be able to shop around and get that "perfect" boat of my dreams but will be getting the best possible boat in my price range. No matter, I am sure I will be ecstatic when the time arrives and I find something nice and new-to-me. When I see pictures and discussions of those beautiful NEW catamarans, I just think to myself, "Damn! I should have went to college and realized this dream sooner!" lol Here's to hoping in 7 years, prices go down on nice used cats!
Stop buying brand new cars! Terrible waste of money! Best of luck with your plans.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm happy to pay police officers well, but there is a small percentage of people that went to college that will be able to retire in their early to mid 40s with a guaranteed income for the rest of their lives.
Old 17-10-2013, 12:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I know where you are coming from OP, just day dreaming right now but moving ever closer to becoming a reality. Was at the Annapolis boat show recently saying to myself, "wow, I can't wait to be the second owner of this boat" (in 10 years I can probably afford a 10 yr old one )
That's exactly how I feel when I see the new cats "man, I'm gonna love that in 10-15 years" LOL!
Old 17-10-2013, 12:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Prices ARE down on nice used cats, and I'd be real surprised to hear that people are paying cash for these boats
Well I hope they are down even further when it's my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Speedster, if it's a cat your after why does it have to be newish?

I think this thread is great and some of the posts nearly had me reach for the cheque book and the phone for a taxi to the airport:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cts-87193.html

Pete
Don't get me wrong, I will LOVE an older model that is in good shape when it's my time to get one. It's just that the newer models look so good that I brought out my "envy card". lol I am hoping in 7 years that I'll be able to look at, maybe, late 1990's boats instead of mid to late 80's boats. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
I think it's wonderful that you did that! I on the other hand do not have the time, space or patience for a project like that. If anything, I would be more inclined to buy an older cat and upgrade myself. THAT'S if I choose to put that much work into them. I am the same as you though as I will be needing to learn all that stuff as well and plan on sailing lessons next summer. I'll be reading, reading and reading until MY time is here. PLEASE POST PICTURES OF YOUR BOAT! I would love to see them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
Yep, that's about what is in my price range right now if I was able to retire right now. Something along the mid to late 80's. One thing I will say though is many of the older models look more like "boats" with the teak and wooden interiors instead of the white, polished fiberglass interiors of the newer models. I kinda like that rustic feel a bit.
Old 17-10-2013, 13:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Keep in mind that many of the people here putting down hundreds of thousands of dollars on their boats are not wealthy. Many of them are working middle class like yourself. So they either pay for their boat by selling their home, or take out huge boat mortgages, and pay their loans over many years. Interest rates are still very low, so that helps. It looks like you are probably going the more sensible route though, without incurring debt.

If all you have is a 1500/month pension, you can probably still live very comfortably on a boat, especially if you move to another country.

Like you, I am looking to buy a boat after retirement in a few years. Hopefully house prices will be back up by then, since if we sell our house for a decent price we can get the boat of our dreams.

I wish you luck in your search!
Thank you! Yea, I just cannot see going into debt like that when I still have time to plan and save up to stay out of debt. I can easily see me living on 1500/month as I don't really need or want for much (just a new catamaran) I wish the best for you and your plans and you get a "boat load" of cash for your house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Stop buying brand new cars! Terrible waste of money! Best of luck with your plans.
LOL! That was just an example. My actual car is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler I bought a year ago. Love it! Although I HAVE bought a new Harley in the past. No Harley now as I sold it a year ago and am downsizing for my future cat! Had to have the Jeep though as it is my only car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'm happy to pay police officers well, but there is a small percentage of people that went to college that will be able to retire in their early to mid 40s with a guaranteed income for the rest of their lives.
If by well you mean about $50,000 a year then yes but there are many other departments that make more than I do. I am not bitter at all though as I love my city and has always wanted to be a cop here. When I was younger and hired on here, I didn't really take the salary or the amount of pension into consideration. Now that I am 7 years from retirement, I kinda wish I had thought more about that as some departments have a MUCH better pension than we have here. Oh well, like I said above, I don't want for much and don't really need much so I'll be happy with whatever the good Lord blesses me with.

Never thought about it that way but you are right that not many people even with college educations can retire that early (although I will be in my mid 50's). I guess I have that but I am sure many with a college education eventually retires with a better income than I when they can retire. But as you say, ANY guaranteed income forever is better than none!
Old 17-10-2013, 13:15   #15

Here you go.
paul anderson's Photos - Wharram Builders and Friends

Tags
fun