Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: If you're going to dream....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Good luck MG! My 2 cents would suggest you also check out trimarans. The cruising variety are priced much lower than cats and sometimes monos giving you a lot of boat for the money.

Multihulls don't have the pendulum rolling of monos caused by the ballast keel and single hull making them more stable downwind in a sea. They also roll less at anchor. The main thing is to be sailing, having any decent boat, mono or multi beats just dreaming.
But... they are alarmingly noisy... on both the Lagoons I delivered
it was near impossible to sleep in the lee hull with the slamming and juddering of waves into the hull on beam reaches in a sea of 1.5 metres upwards... last time I heard/felt that kind of noise and juddering was laying ahull in a 37ft mono in a 60kt gale...
But the saloon was fine so slept up there when off watch..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:27   #32

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: If you're going to dream....

Sounds like you should have adjusted course a few degrees off the beam. For sure a lower bridge deck gets more thumps, on cats it is more usual for the windward hull to get bangs......Still I sailed for years on monos and prefer multihulls. I noticed for queasy people moving with the waves doesn't upset people as much as the pendulum rolling which really gets tiring in harbor. Watch anchored boats when a wake comes by. All said and done it is best to be sailing. I've watched people spend years getting ready and going nowhere, there is much to be said for making do and doing.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30   #33

Quote:

.... The main thing is to be sailing, having any decent boat, mono or multi beats just dreaming.
Well said
MoxieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:31   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sounds like you should have adjusted course a few degrees off the beam. For sure a lower bridge deck gets more thumps, on cats it is more usual for the windward hull to get bangs......Still I sailed for years on monos and prefer multihulls. I noticed for queasy people moving with the waves doesn't upset people as much as the pendulum rolling which really gets tiring in harbor. Watch anchored boats when a wake comes by. All said and done it is best to be sailing. I've watched people spend years getting ready and going nowhere, there is much to be said for making do and doing.
Hey.. it was a delivery.. shortest, safest possible route.. and Algeria had little appeal..
Windward hull rides the wave then drops resulting in the wave slamming the leeward hull... short n sharp sea's..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-12-2013, 17:49   #35

Here is the web site of Scott Brown Multihulls my favorite broker in the UK. Multihull Brokerage - Scott Brown Multihulls

He lists conventional multihulls of all vintages as well as a large selection of Wharrams. The forum site is also back up again and has large archives of good information about lots of boats and things related. A good place to start tire kicking if you want to see something first hand.
Old 05-12-2013, 18:22   #36

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Moxie G......we are all Dreamers in our own way.....mainly, never....ever.... give up on your Dream....you have many choices and decisions to make ahead...but Never give up...Life is Good.....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:35   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is the web site of Scott Brown Multihulls my favorite broker in the UK. Multihull Brokerage - Scott Brown Multihulls

He lists conventional multihulls of all vintages as well as a large selection of Wharrams. The forum site is also back up again and has large archives of good information about lots of boats and things related. A good place to start tire kicking if you want to see something first hand.
Ahhhh... is he still based in Plymouth, met him a few times back in the 90's... fell in love with a spray hood I designed for Tiki's..

Old 05-12-2013, 20:27   #38

Check out the site, I correspond from the PNW. Good time to be dreaming of warm places to go here, it is coooold at the moment. My summer was well spent sailing, now I'm doing the inside sanding to stay warm.
Old 06-12-2013, 19:20   #39

Boat: Lagoon 400
As a monohull guy I am switching to cats. Why? My wife gets seasick in five minutes on a monohull. She has zero problem on cats. For me the motion makes no difference either way. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Buy what you like.

Cheers!
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 00:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Moxie G......we are all Dreamers in our own way.....mainly, never....ever.... give up on your Dream....you have many choices and decisions to make ahead...but Never give up...Life is Good.....
I have a saying that I try to live by.

"Dreams have no limits.
Only in our commitment to follow our dreams,
do we limit our potential."

~Renée Elizabeth Mineart~

I am applying this saying to sailing.
MoxieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post

I have a saying that I try to live by.

"Dreams have no limits.
Only in our commitment to follow our dreams,
do we limit our potential."

~Renée Elizabeth Mineart~

I am applying this saying to sailing.
Yes, most people are their own biggest limiting factor whether in their career or their dreams.

Although I don't like the term "dreams" because most treat them as just that with no serious intent to turn them into reality. Creating your own reality requires forethought and action. Sounds like you are applying both. Good luck.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:12   #42

Re: If You're Going to Dream....

We could quote T.E. Lawrence, of Arabia fame. All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46   #43

Re: If You're Going to Dream....

Thanks belizesailor. You could easily replace 'dreams' with 'goals', and the statement works equally well.

Most excellent quote Cavalier, I like.

MG