Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 13:23   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 73
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Greg - thanks for the advice - I had not even considered the difference in mono and multi masts - and from what you and everyone else has said the bigger rig seems like a bad idea anyway - a lighter boat and a smooth bottom and a bigger main seem the first things to look at... (Prout went bust years ago by the way so can't ask them for any help - and the boat is 37 years old so its unlikely the designers are still alive even)

As I said she'll do 6 knots all day long in 12-14 of wind on a reach and 7 in 15-18 which is fine (waterline length is only 31 feet) under genoa and skinny main and 9 downwind under spinnaker - its not so much that she suffers anywhere in particular (though light winds forward of 120 degrees are a problem with the symmetric ) its just that after my first and only sail in a mono where 15 knots wind on the beam translated to 8.5 knots I wanted to try and get more. The mono in question was a 40 foot and a much taller mast so its not at all like for like but it set me wondering how I could make mine faster.

If I'm honest I find long passages very boring so shaving a few hours off makes a difference - we did 160 miles across Biscay this year in 25 hours which was an average 6.5 knots and I was quite pleased with that and achieved the same down the west coast of Portugal despite big swells - but at 9 knots that would have been under 18 hours - meaning a proper nights sleep for example. And next winter when we hop across the Atlantic it may mean several days saved. So its not that there's a problem with the Prout its just I'd like a bit more - and even with solar panels and watermaker and so on for cruising and a full refit of everything like wiring, plumbing, rigging, engine etc(all done by me) last winter she only owes me $70K US (45K Sterling) so jumping up to a Lagoon 380 or some such is a $250K jump so not really a plan!
__________________

__________________
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:35   #32
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
Greg - thanks for the advice - I had not even considered the difference in mono and multi masts - and from what you and everyone else has said the bigger rig seems like a bad idea anyway - a lighter boat and a smooth bottom and a bigger main seem the first things to look at... (Prout went bust years ago by the way so can't ask them for any help - and the boat is 37 years old so its unlikely the designers are still alive even)

As I said she'll do 6 knots all day long in 12-14 of wind on a reach and 7 in 15-18 which is fine (waterline length is only 31 feet) under genoa and skinny main and 9 downwind under spinnaker - its not so much that she suffers anywhere in particular (though light winds forward of 120 degrees are a problem with the symmetric ) its just that after my first and only sail in a mono where 15 knots wind on the beam translated to 8.5 knots I wanted to try and get more. The mono in question was a 40 foot and a much taller mast so its not at all like for like but it set me wondering how I could make mine faster.

If I'm honest I find long passages very boring so shaving a few hours off makes a difference - we did 160 miles across Biscay this year in 25 hours which was an average 6.5 knots and I was quite pleased with that and achieved the same down the west coast of Portugal despite big swells - but at 9 knots that would have been under 18 hours - meaning a proper nights sleep for example. And next winter when we hop across the Atlantic it may mean several days saved. So its not that there's a problem with the Prout its just I'd like a bit more - and even with solar panels and watermaker and so on for cruising and a full refit of everything like wiring, plumbing, rigging, engine etc(all done by me) last winter she only owes me $70K US (45K Sterling) so jumping up to a Lagoon 380 or some such is a $250K jump so not really a plan!
Given the hull design. cruising weight and sail config, your on the best there is now.

Im not a Prout lover but have studied the Catamarans of that era a lot..... It is what it is.
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:47   #33
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

be happy with 150 miles a day!

once upon a time there was a tourist who saw a Polynesian holding his baby pig up to a pandanamus tree to feed.

the tourist remarked to the Polynesian "Why don't you cut some leaves off and feed them to the pig,it will save so much time?"

the polynesian replied "But what is time to a pig?"
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:48   #34
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
be happy with 150 miles a day!

once upon a time there was a tourist who saw a Polynesian holding his baby pig up to a pandanamus tree to feed.

the tourist remarked to the Polynesian "Why don't you cut some leaves off and feed them to the pig,it will save so much time?"

the polynesian replied "But what is time to a pig?"
+1
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:52   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 4,348
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

One reason for larger mains on cats is the reef-for-gusts mentality; it is easier to feather and acuratly control heel with the main then with a large genoa. A genoa does not feather, and it is difficult to lower the traveler (change jib lead) to maintain a flat sail. Easing the sheet on a head sail in a blow is what you do NOT want to do. Beach cats can fly a hull all day, something that would not be possible with control using a prout rig.

Prout rigging is designed for conservative sailing, at least close to the weather. Off the wind, big headsails rule.

--

Lots of good advise. As for the inevitability of weight gain while cruising, I don't think I agree. Folks hike for thousands of miles with just a pack and occasion re-supply stops. You can control the gain, though not entirely prevent it.
__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:20   #36
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,712
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

This has been an interesting thread for me, for I am a dreaded monohullist, As I like to sail a responsive boat, I can easily empathize with the wish for more speed and more "fun". The part I didn't get, is why is the OP comparing a 35 foot cat's performance to the performance of a a 37 ft. then a 40 ft. mono? Especially if his cat is of a lot older design, and apparently is quite competent at what it was intended to do?

Aside from that, new sails always help performance, if such is indicated. ...and boats always like nice presents. Besides, 160 mi. days in a boat with a 30 ft. waterline ain't bad!

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:33   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 73
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Ann, its no so much comparing the performance - I'd never sailed a mono before the 40ft and was so impressed at how well it went it just made me wish for more ...

I only started sailing last year so its all a bit new to me and I only really know my boat - I've done a a week on a Broadblue 435 and another week crewing a 345 and even a couple of delivery runs with a Rapier 400 and a Catana 40 but all seems very similar in speed and acceleration despite being between 35 and 42 feet and having different rigs and styles - the Oceanis 40 mono however just seemed to fly the second the sails went up.. though the skipper was a novice and the boat not the best maintained so its always possible the instruments were wrong and it wasn't doing 9 knots in 15knots of wind on the beam ...
__________________
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:40   #38
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,219
Images: 2
pirate Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Which way was the tide running... I've done 13kts SOG in a Hurley 22 coming from Guernsey up to Cherbourg...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:51   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There's your problem. You should be doing hull speed or above on a reach with a cat. The big roach is super important.. Convert your mast to a non furling and get a full batten main! or at least one with a sizeable roach and regular battens. Caveat: I don't really know Prouts... but generally to have a fast cat you need a big roach... is my understanding...
Prouts have an aft stepped mast (cutter rigged) with backstays. They don't do large roaches, the drive comes from the headsails.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:54   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

We saw 12knots on the Lagoon 42 quite a few times. 8.5-10 was common. That boat would fly on a reach. I would not be happy with a cat at 6.5 on a reach. BTW this boat was loaded with everything that a Passport 47 mono had and was down 5" on the waterline on the Passport.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:54   #41
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

I'd doubt 9 K with 15k of wind, seriously doubt it with only white sails unless tide effected but I guess you're way past Gibraltar now
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:24   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 73
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

No tide at play as we did it out and back (so 180 degrees different directions) over 25 minutes ...
Yes Rob, in Cartagena now and loving it here - though we did arrive just in time for the first rain in 12 months!
__________________
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:45   #43
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
No tide at play as we did it out and back (so 180 degrees different directions) over 25 minutes ...
Yes Rob, in Cartagena now and loving it here - though we did arrive just in time for the first rain in 12 months!
best thing you can do is lighten the boat if you want more speed.

thread drift but

if you are in Cartagena,give john snow a call, great guy and a mine of information he has set up a yacht help company there,and will do airport runs etc.
he is the guy to talk to if you want to make mods on the boat.

Welcome to "one stop yacht care" Based, Cartagena, Spain.(+34)659 3232 43 - English

.(+34)659 3232 43

cheers alex
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 16:05   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 73
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Alex, thanks, I've already met John and Jenny and he's doing some carpentry for me - I try to do everything on the boat myself but I don't do wood...

Interestingly John though bulb bows like his Dean Cat might speed up the Snoowgoose - increasing the waterline length etc - though my googling suggests otherwise - but anyway, a really nice guy and clearly very experienced
__________________
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 16:21   #45
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: How to speed up a Snowgoose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
Alex, thanks, I've already met John and Jenny and he's doing some carpentry for me - I try to do everything on the boat myself but I don't do wood...

Interestingly John though bulb bows like his Dean Cat might speed up the Snoowgoose - increasing the waterline length etc - though my googling suggests otherwise - but anyway, a really nice guy and clearly very experienced
yes he definitely knows his stuff,the bulbs on the front might make a difference,though most prouts ive seem could do with more bouyancy in the stern,so lenthening there might be the better option!

tell john alex bond says hi, I was there on a cat recently and had work done by him.
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perkins 4/108 high speed/low speed lifeofreilly57 Engines and Propulsion Systems 18 09-09-2013 18:22
Speed Log Upgrade to Speed / Temp / Depth CHM Marine Electronics 0 12-01-2012 12:09
Cruise Speed / Max Speed - Diesel proeliator Multihull Sailboats 28 29-05-2010 07:43
Log Speed vs GPS [SOG] Speed? Sandyh Navigation 57 07-06-2009 23:22
snowgoose speed bobnc Multihull Sailboats 19 23-01-2008 06:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.