Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 06:10   #1

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Has any one sailed or seen a cat with two roller furlings

Call me new but I have never seen them like this or even understand how you could use them (do you sail backwards)
I have seen them mid bow but never on the hull what do you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	401162967.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	4196  
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Call me new but I have never seen them like this or even understand how you could use them (do you sail backwards)
I have seen them mid bow but never on the hull what do you think.
The SMG 50 has got 2 roller furlings and an A framed mast
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
The Hitch -hiker series of cats (designed by John Hitch) had this system, the up side is no forestay pull in the middle of the front beam, so easier to engineer. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/Tig/UI/P...06&p=401149175 That url link isnt to support this advertised boat - just to give an idea of what I am talking about.
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.asp...nt&PD=19086332
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:57   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
We saw an Ausralian built and owned Simpson design in the Bahamas in 1995. They were in the middle of a circumnavigation and liked the setup.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:29   #5

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
For the more knowlegable types what are the pros and cons of this?

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The Hitch -hiker series of cats (designed by John Hitch) had this system, the up side is no forestay pull in the middle of the front beam, so easier to engineer. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/Tig/UI/P...06&p=401149175 That url link isnt to support this advertised boat - just to give an idea of what I am talking about.
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.asp...nt&PD=19086332
Here is the John Hitch Design that he and his wife are currently sailing.

No Boom. No Main. Just two Furled Genoas and a Furled self Tacking Slab sail.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:06   #7

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Does that make it a cutter rigged cat???
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 18:40   #8

Hi sctpc, I got your note and see you have some images of "XIT" from Aussiesuede who probably gave to me on BD.net.... The story I got is that John is looking to sell "XIT" and retire to the iron sails, (I gather to be built in Queensland? or northern NSW?)

My understanding is that it meets the needs of the lazy (like me) who desire to cruise and if the wind goes too much on the nose - fire up the iron sails...Quite efficient, points OK especially on skinny hulled "no rocker" similar to "xit". Maybe others have more info than I....
masalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 00:10   #9

Maybe others have more info than I....[/quote]
I don't know about that info on John Hitch and his Hitch-hiker series of cats is just not there, I just hope someone sees this who can give a clue on how the cats handle and how sea worthy they are.
I would also like to find out what sizes and the approximate amount out there.
Well now I know of four off them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch2.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	4199   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch3.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	4200  

Old 05-07-2008, 03:17   #10

I think they started out as something of a modified Wharram and twin Genoas as per your picture, Later on he developed some incredible rigging systems such as "XIT's" predecessor "Wired".... "XIT" (pronounced as in EXIT)seemed to point very well and be easily driven and all of Johns boats were extensively cruised by John.... Do a search in boatdesign.net using "John Hitch", "XIT" or "Wired" - it uses the same search engine here in Cruising (I think) .....google.....
Old 05-07-2008, 14:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalai View Post
I think they started out as something of a modified Wharram and twin Genoas as per your picture, Later on he developed some incredible rigging systems such as "XIT's" predecessor "Wired".... "XIT" (pronounced as in EXIT)seemed to point very well and be easily driven and all of Johns boats were extensively cruised by John.... Do a search in boatdesign.net using "John Hitch", "XIT" or "Wired" - it uses the same search engine here in Cruising (I think) .....google.....
I've actually sailed on "Wired" (AFAIK it's now called "Zenataos"). It had roller furling headsails on each hull, and a hanked on blade jib in the middle, as well as a fully battened main.

The setup seemed to work pretty well, going hard to windward you would furl the windward headsail, and use the leeward one and the blade, and if it was blowing a bit harder furl the leeward. The boat pointed amazingly high.

The whole boat was pretty unusual, with the mast supported by a spider-like structure of alloy beams above the deck, and a series of cables below. The hulls were "hinged" to the bridgedeck, allowing some flex, which was controlled by heavy SS cables. (Hence the original name "Wired")
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 18:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've actually sailed on "Wired" (AFAIK it's now called "Zenataos"). It had roller furling headsails on each hull, and a hanked on blade jib in the middle, as well as a fully battened main.

The setup seemed to work pretty well, going hard to windward you would furl the windward headsail, and use the leeward one and the blade, and if it was blowing a bit harder furl the leeward. The boat pointed amazingly high.

The whole boat was pretty unusual, with the mast supported by a spider-like structure of alloy beams above the deck, and a series of cables below. The hulls were "hinged" to the bridgedeck, allowing some flex, which was controlled by heavy SS cables. (Hence the original name "Wired")
How hard was it to sail? in respect to a regular cats sailing setup can you workout how to sail this way or is it throw out all the rules and start from scratch.
I just can`t get my head around that setup and I don`t know anyone who can enplane it as I have searched it in every way and still are having trouble getting info on it so please post all you can.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:27   #13

Sailing was pretty much normal. If you were going to be tacking a lot you wouldn't use either of the "side" headsails, you'd just use the middle jib, and it would be exactly as usual.

If you were going to be on one tack for a while you could use the middle jib and one of the side headsails, or do without the middle jib.

Reaching you could use any combination of the 3 headsails and the main, depending on how light conditions were. We had all 5 sails up in about 10 knots of wind and were doing around 7-8 knots.

The two side headsails gave additional options when running too. The boat went pretty well downhill or broad reaching without using the mainsail.

Overall the boat seemed to be less dependant on the mainsail than a lot are.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26   #14

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
My voyage 38 has a retractable bowsprit for a screecher on a furler. It is possible to leave it deployed, but it is only for light winds.
Old 12-02-2013, 16:05   #15

Re: Has any one sailed or seen a cat with two roller furlings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Here is the John Hitch Design that he and his wife are currently sailing.

No Boom. No Main. Just two Furled Genoas and a Furled self Tacking Slab sail.
That is John's boat XIT and is presently for sale - A beautiful single handed boat for daysailing around the coast fast and comfortable and no deckwork... Multihull Sailing Vessels For Sale Au$250,000

One does NOT sail direct downwind but TACK downwind with both sails on the same board - NEVER - Wing-on-wing, as you can see it points up very nicely