Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00   #1

Gennaker with traveler?

I'm just starting to learn about using gennakers and the like. For cats it seems the standard deal is to take the rolled up sail out, then attach the tack to some point on bow, then attached the head to a line, then hoist, then unroll. Nice. I like it.

But I can't help but wonder why there aren't more setups like this where the tack is connected to a traveler so that you can get a bit more range on its fore position.

Similarly, why not have a traveler that can snake around from center bow to 1/4 way port / starboard? That would effectively let you jibe without having to move the tack and clew on the gennaker.

Or am I just nuts? More likely, I'm just new.

EDIT: this is a rough draft that someone else was clearly also thinking about, but for mono hulls:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27250333@N05/4047947721/

clearly, the above doesn't illustrate the "snake around" type traveler I was also thinking of. But it does show the basic implementation.
djtopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 00:08   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Gennaker with traveler?

We have a gennaker on our Lagoon 380. We set it like you describe but the tack is on the small (600mm) bowsprit) The clew has both sheets attached with bowlines. To tack or gybe its easy enough to pull it through between the gennaker and headsail stays or you can rig it around the forestay. Adjustment is easy, you can slacken the gennaker halyard if you want to move the sail more off the wind.
Deffinately drop it when its not being used, they like to unwrap themselves when the wind picks up. Wind range is 5-18 knots and it can add 1-2 knots boat speed
in ideal conditions (apparent wind 70-80 degrees)
We haven't tried it wing in wing with the genoa downwind yet but I plan to next time we are close to DDW
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gennaker