Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2008, 10:19   #46
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Ely

Just a heads up. You might want to take notice of the dates of the posts you are replying to. That particular post is almost 4 months old. If you want to check the availability of that boat , try New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com , which is what the rest of us would have to do to answer your question.

Also, by clicking on the poster's name, you can quickly find all the posts of that particular person. In this case, the person never posted again, and may not have ever returned to this forum.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 12:30   #47

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built
we are ready to buy a Gemini 105mc

Anybody getting ready to sell?
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 16:12   #48

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
Anybody getting ready to sell?

Always,

How much money ya got?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 16:46   #49

Boat: Coronado 25 (Don't tell her I'm shopping for an upgrade)
Okay... okay... this thread started forever ago, but it's still near the top of the site's search for Gemini 105cm, so...

This couple left Florida a while back (ha... maybe they started the thread) in a Gemini and have made their way at least to Fiji by this point... The Slapdash. Their writing is pretty entertaining itself, but there are some good details on the boat's handling in various conditions and a few mechanical issues they've surmounted.
Old 22-07-2009, 19:43   #50

WANTED - 90s Vintage Gemini

I'm in S. California, so the closer the better. Will consider boats up to $90K. mike....714 812-3133 or pm me.
Old 24-07-2009, 07:22   #51

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992.../United-States

If you don't mind a little fixer-upper this ones in Napa......
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 21:49   #52

Boat: Seawind 1000
My wife and I are getting serious about buying a small cat to cruise the top end of Australia. We travel here a lot and it is getting harder to get to the ocean in remote areas. Although we have plenty of boating experience we know little about sailing, we plan to learn as we go. I notice in the US the Gemini is a very popular choice for coastal cruising but have only seen one on the market here, which is still in the US.
Can someone tell me if there is a reason they don't seem to be popular here. I am thinking with the OZ dollar going up it may be a good option to buy overseas.

Thanks
Daryl
Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 22:10   #53

The Gemini is decent for coastal cruising and near shore cruising. I rented one for a week two years ago and decided they were not stable enough for my type of cruising. They seem to have the disadvantages of both mono and cat with none of the advantages of either. For very costal cruising, yes, open water no. I grew to hate the single engine.
worldkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 05:42   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldkiss View Post
The Gemini is decent for coastal cruising and near shore cruising. I rented one for a week two years ago and decided they were not stable enough for my type of cruising.
I hear things like this alot but I can't recall ever hearing about a Gemini turning turtle.

Quote:
They seem to have the disadvantages of both mono and cat with none of the advantages of either.
On what do you base that statement?!

Quote:
For very costal cruising, yes, open water no. I grew to hate the single engine.
The owners of SLAPDASH might disagree! As would, I suspect, several other Gemini owners, and there are a lot of them.

What are your thoughts on this video? Gemini 105Mc - Transatlantic Voyage ?
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 09:30   #55

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Gemini in Austraila

The Gemini is designed as a "coastal cruiser" and most owners would not recommend you purchase a new Gemini in the states and sail it to Australia. This implies you must add the cost of shipping her to the purchase price.

Australia builds a number of wonderful cats. The Seawind is slightly larger, stronger built, and a more capable sailor than the Gemini. Before I'd buy a Gemini in Australia, I'd look at a Seawind or one of the other fine cats built locally.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 11:01   #56
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
that sure looked like ocean to me. I wonder what the polynesians would think to hear people say a 34 ft. catamaran was too small to take across an ocean.

I know what the Slapdash people would say.
Old 26-10-2009, 06:49   #57

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The Gemini is designed as a "coastal cruiser" and most owners would not recommend you purchase a new Gemini in the states and sail it to Australia. This implies you must add the cost of shipping her to the purchase price.
Poppycock!! The new 105mc is NOT designed as a coastal cruiser. That's why some of the improvements were made. You base your assumptions on OLDER MODELS, and none based on the newest boats with the design improvements. Before you you bash something do your homework. They have certain disadvantages as compared to other designs, such as bridgedeck clearance aft(which HAS been improved over previous models). But is NOT UNSEAWORTHY in open ocean.
As for purchase price, any other new cat would be double the Gemini or more and you'ld still have to ship it from wherever....

wtg, ColdFusion....Slapdash would be proud.

Big Smile!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 12:37   #58
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I believe that the newer Geminis are CE certified, if that means anything to you. It doesn't mean it's a boat that you would take around the Horn, but it does say something about build quality and it also says something about the manufacturer that they would go through that whole headache just to be able to market the boat in Europe.
Old 26-10-2009, 17:29   #59

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I believe that the newer Geminis are CE certified,
CE cert is an option.
They add a few things.
Don't know the costs.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 01:32   #60

Boat: Seawind 1000
Thanks for the replies all. We were planning to get a boat transported if we went ahead with buying overseas, as mentioned I am no sailor. The main reason we were looking over there is the cost, even including transport cost it still works out cheaper.
As Captstu said Seawind from all reports are an excellent boat but more expensive although we have decided to stretch the budget and are looking at the Seawind 1000.
Thanks again
Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, gemini 105