Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 17:06   #1

Finally Found an Affordable Gemini- in Mexico !

After searching the East coast and missing a few deals by days, we found a really good deal on a 1993 Gemini 3400 Catamaran in San Carlos, Mexico!

There's only a few problems:
1. It's in Mexico
2. It suffers from deferred maintenance

We were planning on hauling the boat back to Georgia across country, but after researching our options and the costs- we are seriously considering moving the people to the boat instead!

San Carlos and the Sea of Cortez are simply gorgeous. Summer is incredibly hot though. We live on our boat, but would plan on 4-6 months of working in the states during the hottest months to restock the non-existant kitty.

If you want to see pictures of Puerto Penasco or San Carlos on the Sea of Cortez we have photo albums on the website. We also have photos of the Gemini on their as well.

JC McDowell and the Family Unit

I know a few folks with trimarans are down there already. Where would be the best place to haul out the 14' wide Gemini and be able to work on the boat myself. Guaymas had a nice travel lift at the Marina Nautica.

We just came back from securing the boat on a mooring in Bahia San Carlos. We'll be back soon after the heat breaks and the kitty is a little fatter.
Old 07-08-2009, 19:37   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Congratulations!!

Im envious...more then you might know.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 23:48   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
When I first began researching cruising 10 years ago a friend of mine who had cruised told me many stories and many bits of wisdom. One of the first things he told me is that a LOT of people leave California to sail the world and get as far as the Sea of Cortez and stay. They find that everything that they wanted is right there, only cheaper. You would be starting from a great place. I wouldn't hesitate to leave a couple of boxes of keepsakes at a relative's house, have a huge blow out yard sale and give the leftovers to a thrift store. I would have already if the money was here but it's not here yet. We seldom regret something done as much as something not done.
Go.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:22   #4

We're scrapping the bottom of the barrel financially, but we do own the boat outright. Everything else is food and gas money. Especially with 2 little ones, we appreciate the time we can spend with them now.

Tags
gemini, living aboard, Mexico, san carlos