Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 14:27   #226

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Some of the best i've seen was around East Black Reef not that far from you......
Cheers
Would always dive the bommie at Heron Is when passing and there are other places in Capricorn Bunker group with plenty of mantas.

Can remenber freediving lying underneath a hugh manta ray stroking it one day that had a wing span double size of my 6 feet plus 3ft fins, unreal.

Meanwhile back to Cats.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:32   #227

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hah Manta's in the late '70s my wife and i lived at Happy Bay, we had a Caper Cat (with a 2hp Seagull we bought from Michelmores) we are one day sailing into a little bay south of Trammel Bay when we disturbed a Manta of similar size erupted beneath us....
Our multi was VERY popular and felt so small.... Happy days.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:41   #228
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So you're claiming that your boat wouldn't be allowed to race in the Sydney-Hobart, because it's too fast? (yet canting keel motorboats are allowed in)

Sounds like a multihull to me!
Oh my, you're not very familiar with racing.... okay here we go: if the Sydney Hobart race is class racing (to certain design rules) then we are not allowed in unless it is the Sundeer/Dashew class (that would be a sight!). If the Sydney Hobart is handicap racing, then we are allowed in but can never win because of a penalty that is very high as the result of all the design features that are deemed unfair. A Sundeer 64 hull #1 entered the ARC just after delivery and not just won, she humiliated the big cannons of the main sponsor which didn't help coming to a fair handicap either and now even a W32 would finish before a SD64 on corrected time.

This is exactly what I wrote before, is it clear now? I could tell you more about it but it's easier to remember that a white flash flying past at sea.... is us

cheers,
Nick.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:44   #229

So why not forget winning on handicap, and just go for line honours?

Your WORST 24 hour runs would get you third. Do a couple of good days and you'll kill those 100' canting keel slugs!
Old 27-02-2012, 14:47   #230

Boat: too many

"white flash" for Dashew sailboat, "silver streak" for Dashew motor cruiser.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:49   #231

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So why not forget winning on handicap, and just go for line honours?

Your WORST 24 hour runs would get you third. Do a couple of good days and you'll kill those 100' canting keel slugs!
You mean on uncorrected time? what is the fun in that, we pass every yacht all the time, every sail we do... Believe me that it's a lot of fun for a year or so, but I own Jedi since 2002 and now I'm happy to find a boat that keeps up and I sometimes let out the sheet a bit when I think I can save somebody a heart attack by letting him cross my bow without him having right of way. Jedi is our house and we don't care about racing or winning... we care for the life aboard Jedi which is enough for us

cheers,
Nick.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:51   #232

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
"white flash" for Dashew sailboat, "silver streak" for Dashew motor cruiser.
Yes, I'm surprised that 44'cruisingcat never met one before... with his speed it takes the flash a bit longer to pass

The silver streak is all over aussieland, he must have met one of those!

cheers,
Nick.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:51   #233
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh my, you're not very familiar with racing.... okay here we go: if the Sydney Hobart race is class racing (to certain design rules) then we are not allowed in unless it is the Sundeer/Dashew class (that would be a sight!). If the Sydney Hobart is handicap racing, then we are allowed in but can never win because of a penalty that is very high as the result of all the design features that are deemed unfair. A Sundeer 64 hull #1 entered the ARC just after delivery and not just won, she humiliated the big cannons of the main sponsor which didn't help coming to a fair handicap either and now even a W32 would finish before a SD64 on corrected time.

This is exactly what I wrote before, is it clear now? I could tell you more about it but it's easier to remember that a white flash flying past at sea.... is us

cheers,
Nick.
Oh My - you are not very familiar with the Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race. Okay - here we go, it is an ocean race with the following ways to win, there are one design classes, eg the Sydney 38s, there are a number of handicap systems AND there is line honours, this year Investec Loyal beat Wild Oats, over the line, and got line honours, as in the first to cross the line.

Your performance figures indicate a distinct possibility for a top five finish. And I for one take my hat off to any boat of any length that could finish top five in the Sydney to Hobart.
Old 27-02-2012, 14:57   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
10 1/2 knots, and fuel consumption "only" 3 gallons per hour... sailing?
Old 27-02-2012, 15:05   #235
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Smoked Sundeer? Sounds like it would taste a bit gamey.
Nah. Tastes just like chicken.
Old 27-02-2012, 15:15   #236

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Oh My - you are not very familiar with the Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race. Okay - here we go, it is an ocean race with the following ways to win, there are one design classes, eg the Sydney 38s, there are a number of handicap systems AND there is line honours, this year Investec Loyal beat Wild Oats, over the line, and got line honours, as in the first to cross the line.

Your performance figures indicate a distinct possibility for a top five finish. And I for one take my hat off to any boat of any length that could finish top five in the Sydney to Hobart.
You're right (see how easy it is to say such a thing) I know nothing about the Sydney Hobart race. But I can not believe anybody starting the race with the objective of winning line honours without winning on handicap; yet on Wikipedia I read:

Quote:
Much public attention focuses on the race for "line honours" - the first boat across the finishing line, typically the newest and largest "maxi" in the fleet.
which makes me puke. If that's what important there, then it's as decadent as the Riviera in the med and I'll be happy to stay far away from the scene. It also explains why no Sundeer ever participated; it's often the same type of people buying the same type of boat.

Anyway, even a standard Volvo Ocean 70 will take that pathetic price home as they do 550 nm in 24 hours, more than double my 250 nm.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-02-2012, 15:20   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
10 1/2 knots, and fuel consumption "only" 3 gallons per hour... sailing?
Yes, you never motor? Dashew doesn't believe in sailing slower than 6 knots; I can stand it down to 5 knots. Do you want to suggest that you just float around a bit until there's wind again? Would be remarkable and very unlike the averge multi sailor.

p.s. if that is all you have to say after watching the video, then your blood is not that of a sailor and you're just trolling me, which isn't allowed here I think...
How can you hate a boat type so much to go that far is beyond my understanding and I surely hope it isn't becoming the norm for multi owners... stress like that kills...

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-02-2012, 15:40   #238
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling

Interesting and the Solaris is a boat i know very well - for sure an acquired taste and hardly for your average modern multihull buyer. Certainly has little appeal to the ladies as it is about as far from a modern cats as it is possible to be.

yea built to Lloyds 100 A1 standards - Had your bulkheads detach from the hulls yet?

What a shame you could not resist moving into monhull performance and design issues

Most catamarans are better sailing boats than most monohulls off the wind.

REALLY!!!! tell that to the Dashhew'sand any owner of a modern production cruiser racer.

This is so because the additional beam and twin rudders virtually eliminate wallowing and the risk of a broach

Cant agree with any of that - wonky thinking!!!

(it is also why some new monohulls are attempting to approximate this attribute by extending beam aft and installing twin rudders).

TOTAL POPPYCOCK

Furthermore, a symmetrical spinnaker becomes a legitimate crusing sail for the non-athletic cruising couple. Due to the elimination of a pole and wide beam, in order to jibe/gybe one need only let off on the tack on the windward side, haul in on the tack on the (new) windward side and adjust the sheets.

So how do you think you do that on a monohull?

My boat wil run/reach comfortably at half wind speed up about 18 knots of wind.

NEVER!!! run at 9 knots in 18 knots TWS - true fantasy land

In a boat that is intended primarily for tradewind sailing this is extremely important. In addition, my timetable (or more to the point, lack of a timetable) will allow me to wait for favourable winds before most passages.

You might be surprised to hear that is what most long term cruisers do - i am surrounded by them sitting in Simpson Lagoon St Martin ATM with a 25/30 knot forecast with so many cruisers waiting for that weather to pass and get a nice weather window for moving west and south

Finally motorsailing with twin deisels - as another cat owner pointed out only means you use twice as much diesel fuel
First of Solaris built a wide range of catamarans. The one Brad owns was pulled of the old Cherokee 35 molds then had 5' added to the sterns. We owned a Cherokee for about 9 years. Not the fastest boat but definetly able to do at least half windspeed up
to 20'kts. Solaris also built a Sunstar 36. The Sumstar was pulled of a set of Lerouge molds. We owned one of those for 3 years. So not all Solaris cats are slow.
I was pretty impressed with the Sundeer 64 until I saw a YouTube video of one sailing. 10 kts of boat speed in 15 kts true wind
On the beam. Hell I could do better than that on my Seawind
Anybody that has done any cat sailing will know sailing down wind is a breeze. None of the roll wallow and broach of a monohull.
Yes the symmetrical spinnaker set of one bow on a cat is an easy thing to do, not on a monohull. Maybe with an assymetrical on a mono.
I listened with interest to one of your last posts thinking you had some good points. On this post in my opinion you come across
As a know it all armchair sailor with an axe to grind. Most your points were about as far from the truth as it gets.
Old 27-02-2012, 15:46   #239

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I listened with interest to one of your last posts thinking you had some good points. On this post in my opinion you come across
As a know it all armchair sailor with an axe to grind. Most your points were about as far from the truth as it gets.
I don't think I need to defend our friend, but why don't you address his actual points, like him stating it's nonsense about the reason for twin rudders on mono's. Also about cat rudders outperforming mono rudders. If you don't agree to that, state why and if you do agree, it doesn't hurt to state that too instead of diverting the topic but calling his post wrong anyway, which is just weak imo.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-02-2012, 15:58   #240
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

I don't think I need to defend our friend, but why don't you address his actual points, like him stating it's nonsense about the reason for twin rudders on mono's. Also about cat rudders outperforming mono rudders. If you don't agree to that, state why and if you do agree, it doesn't hurt to state that too instead of diverting the topic but calling his post wrong anyway, which is just weak imo.

ciao!
Nick.
I didn't reply to these items as I don't have a good enough knowledge to do so. The items I didn't agree with I commented on. Fair enough?
Closed Thread

Tags
multihull