Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 02:40   #1

Boat: Lightwave 45
Electric motor question

Hi

I am looking at speccing a Lightwave 45 with one oceanvolt electric motor and one diesel motor. I acknowledge all copyright rights to Rob (Big Beakie).

I am not sure that the 15KW saildrive will cut it but to go larger currently requires shaft driven props. I am hoping that Oceanvolt will bring out larger saildrives in the near future, but cannot rely on it.

On the lightwave the diesel cannot be located sufficiently forward to support shaft drives.

Does anybody know how a boat configured with shaft drive on one side and saildrive on the other would perform, or is this out of the question.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Electric motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
On the lightwave the diesel cannot be located sufficiently forward to support shaft drives.
Would a V drive work for the diesel?

The other option for the electric drive is an electric outboard, think they are up to about 60hp. Need not be in the hull but how about central on a cat?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I would expect, combining a shaft drive with a sail drive, would engender (both) asymmetric thrust and drag, regardless of how you drive them (electric motor &/or diesel engine).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:12   #4

Are you against sail drives? You could always mate a larger electric motor to a traditional sail drive to fit the space.

If the hull is designed for it, outboards are a nice option as it makes engine work and swapping dead easy.

I wouldn't worry too much about asymmetric thrust. In the old days, it wasn't uncommon to have a cat with a single engine in one hull. The long thin hulls tend to be directionally stable. You might need to learn how much throttle to give it when docking but nothing that should be too difficult.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:57   #5

A v-drive may work. I would have to investigate. Not interested in outboards for blue-water.

I am not against sail drives. THe opposite is true. However, I am reluctant to consider any option other than Oceanvolt and the biggest sail drive they have is 15KW at present.

Agree that you would get asymmetric thrust and drag, but I am not sure whether this is problematic. That is why I am asking the question??
Old 08-02-2021, 07:10   #6

Quote:
A v-drive may work. I would have to investigate. Not interested in outboards for blue-water.

I am not against sail drives. THe opposite is true. However, I am reluctant to consider any option other than Oceanvolt and the biggest sail drive they have is 15KW at present.

Agree that you would get asymmetric thrust and drag, but I am not sure whether this is problematic. That is why I am asking the question??
When I say saildrive, I'm talking about the transmission after the motor thru to the prop.

If you go with a shaft drive, what will you use that provides more than 15kw? Just take that motor and mate it to a standard saildrive. Other companies produce sail drives that can go well above 15kw and it's shouldn't be too complicated to take a motor intended for shaft drive and mate it to a sail drive. It should be easier as you shouldn't have the alignment complications of a shaft drive.

I would actually consider that better than a proprietary oceanvolt saildrive if you need parts or repairs done to the sail drive, locals are likely to be familiar with it and know where to get parts.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
When I say saildrive, I'm talking about the transmission after the motor thru to the prop.

If you go with a shaft drive, what will you use that provides more than 15kw? Just take that motor and mate it to a standard saildrive. Other companies produce sail drives that can go well above 15kw and it's shouldn't be too complicated to take a motor intended for shaft drive and mate it to a sail drive. It should be easier as you shouldn't have the alignment complications of a shaft drive.

I would actually consider that better than a proprietary oceanvolt saildrive if you need parts or repairs done to the sail drive, locals are likely to be familiar with it and know where to get parts.
I would use the standard Oceanvolt shaftdrive system that goes up to 40KW. I am not sure how easy it is to mate the Oceandrive shaft motors to a normal saildrive, and I have not heard of anyone doing that, but I am happy to be educated in this regard.

In regard to support in remote places, yes it is true that standard saildrives are more easily supported, but what about the electric motor. Oceanvolt have more remote support than anybody else. If I put some random electric motor in, I will have no remote support whatsoever.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:46   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

I don’t see outboards as being a setback for blue water as that’s where you would gain the most advantage from the lack of drag, unless you of course want to regenerate from the dragging propellor.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:15   #9

Quote:
I would use the standard Oceanvolt shaftdrive system that goes up to 40KW. I am not sure how easy it is to mate the Oceandrive shaft motors to a normal saildrive, and I have not heard of anyone doing that, but I am happy to be educated in this regard.

In regard to support in remote places, yes it is true that standard saildrives are more easily supported, but what about the electric motor. Oceanvolt have more remote support than anybody else. If I put some random electric motor in, I will have no remote support whatsoever.
Might have to talk to Oceanvolt to explain but the mechanics of attaching to a standard saildrive should be pretty straight forward.

They mate different diesel engines to the same saildrive.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:39   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmm, must be a reason for the 15kw limit. The UK company Sillette which have been around forever also have a limit of 15kw. Be interesting to see if they supply Oceanvolt with their sail drives.

https://sillette.co.uk/products/ster...pulsion-system

I thought the use of electric outboards also quite interesting. If there is a problem, they lift off and go away for repair. I get that mounted at the very stern they might come out of the water, but they can be mounted centrally much closer to the centre of the hull on a cat.

Pete
Old 08-02-2021, 12:12   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Click image for larger version

Name:	6a00d8341c4fbe53ef0120a775a937970b-800wi.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	232132

Best I've seen is inboard rotating pods for a catamaran. A member on this site did a similar system using E-Tech drives, but before that, I saw this one from Green eMotion and it worked great. It's the way I'd go if I were going electric.

Unlike outboard motor style electric drives, they don't require nacelles that can pound in a seaway. They can also have longer shafts to get the prop way deeper. But like the outboard style, the drives have no drag or corrosion when lifted. And since you have no drag when they are out of the water, you can put a large fixed blade prop to regen as much as possible.

I know of a two companies that dwarf Oceanvolt for dealer support around the world that will soon offer saildrive electric motors over 15kw. Stay tuned for releases this summer.

Matt
Old 08-02-2021, 12:25   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Now, how to fit those to a monohull? as foilers perhaps
Old 08-02-2021, 12:30   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Now, how to fit those to a monohull? as foilers perhaps
Dutch style leeboards

Matt
Old 08-02-2021, 12:42   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Attachment 232132

Best I've seen is inboard rotating pods for a catamaran. A member on this site did a similar system using E-Tech drives, but before that, I saw this one from Green eMotion and it worked great. It's the way I'd go if I were going electric.

Unlike outboard motor style electric drives, they don't require nacelles that can pound in a seaway. They can also have longer shafts to get the prop way deeper. But like the outboard style, the drives have no drag or corrosion when lifted. And since you have no drag when they are out of the water, you can put a large fixed blade prop to regen as much as possible.

I know of a two companies that dwarf Oceanvolt for dealer support around the world that will soon offer saildrive electric motors over 15kw. Stay tuned for releases this summer.

Matt

I like the hatches located directly over the props. Easy to clear lines or debris or replace the prop.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:50   #15

Quote:
Attachment 232132

Matt
Yes, I know Torqueedo and Volvo Penta are making a lot of noise in this regard. They will have to play quite a bit of catchup to level with OceanVolt.

Tags
electric, electric motor, motor