Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 19:21   #1

Dry Docking

I want to repaint the hulls of a '66 34' Pivor Trimaran and am looking for some advice and/or direction on how to go about it. Also, anyone have a rough idea of cost? Supplies and such? I am all ears... And please don't be afraid to lambast me with ridicule for taking on a job like this, all experienced advice is welcome... Just be gentle.

Cheers
ainleyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 21:20   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Dry Docking

If you got the money and the desire, full speed ahead. Don't let anyone stop you.

I would thoroughly inspect the hull and fix any areas of dry rot before you do the paint job. It would be a shame to do a major paint job and discover later that you needed to do hull repair and ruin your paint job.

One of the problems with putting money into older yachts is that you almost never get the money out. Before I started a major job on an older yacht, I would make a complete survey of the yacht to find out what it's really worth, and I would not invest a pile of cash if it turns out that they yacht is going to be a money pit.

Some yachts shred money faster than a paper shredder and there is not much to show for it when the money is all spent.

So go full speed ahead, but don't overspend.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 06:54   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Dry Docking

Where is the boat located? Perhaps one of the CF crowd could assist. Before the haulout (as opposed to the term drydock, another method not commonly used), you should check a few things. First, can the boat tolerate the removal from the water, meaning will the structure hold up to being supported at only a few points, while possibly waterlogged or rotted. You can go a long way to answering this question by performing an extensive "sounding" of the hulls and crossarms using a mallet, heavy screwdriver handle, etc., to tap all available surfaces around and inside the hulls. You are going to listen for any sound that becomes a dull thud as opposed to a sharp rap. Try this on some wood and fiberglass that you know is solid. You'll get the idea shortly. Otherwise, call a marine surveyor for a few hundred bucks. Maybe the folks at the boatyard can perform a quick test prior to the actual extraction from the water.

Assuming your boat survives the initial sounding test, be prepared for some cracking or sagging once you are "blocked up". If that is observed, it's going to be a choice of repair or trashing. One is considerably more expensive than the other, but this will be the last time any of your decisions are simple and cheap. Most boats can be extensively repaired and made seaworthy (that means capable of actually going somewhere in less than ideal conditions), but it should be a deliberate decision, on your part. The sheer cost of reconstruction of an old, ineffectual design is overwhelming, and not a measure of the good judgement of someone considering the best investment of time, resources and hope. Again, the boatyard can provide you with estimates for the various issues you will likely encounter. Add it up, compare the potential costs with other options, and make your decision. Good luck.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote