Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 13:09   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35
Re: Crane size and low bridges

With our 56.5' clearance we travelled along the ICW from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale. All fixed bridges are 65'. South of Fort Lauderdale there are a few lower bridges so travelmthere requires popping out and heading down the coast.
If you get a chart book for the area, or something like "Skipper Bob's" it will list all the fixed bridge clearances.
Oh, and recommended clearance depends upon how sure you are of your height. You only need what you are comfortable with. I'd be really nervous with less than 5 feet, but technically you need an inch...
All the bridges (around Florida) have current height boards on the bridges.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 17:40   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I wouldn't let the beam of the boat affect your choice. Buy what you want and deal with taking it to the necessary boatyard to be hauled.
My current boat has an 18' beam, my previous boat had a 26' beam. I like(d) them both, just had to go farther to haul out the wider one.
Taking a trip on a boat is what cruising is all about, isn't it? It seems kind of silly to buy a cruising boat and worry about having to sail it to a boatyard.
Old 15-06-2016, 18:14   #18

Boat: Nothing yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I wouldn't let the beam of the boat affect your choice. Buy what you want and deal with taking it to the necessary boatyard to be hauled.
My current boat has an 18' beam, my previous boat had a 26' beam. I like(d) them both, just had to go farther to haul out the wider one.
Taking a trip on a boat is what cruising is all about, isn't it? It seems kind of silly to buy a cruising boat and worry about having to sail it to a boatyard.
I guess my concern is more about supply and demand. If there are fewer places that can haul out a big boat, and put it on the hard, then their prices will be higher, especially if I am in a foreign country and they think I am some kind of rich Yankee.
Medge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 06:14   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Travelift invented the standard boat lift used today and all these hoists are generically referred to as Travelifts regardless who makes it. Everyone uses the weight rating for size but there are different beam capacities for the different manufacturers so you will need to check.
Sealift has a totally different modified quasi forklift style that is not limited by beam. The only issue is the width of the boat ramp. I had my 24' wide tri hauled by a Sealift and it was a piece of cake.

Tags
size