Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28   #1

Boat: Privilege 39 MANGO
Catamaran Sails

I am seeking advise on sails for cats.
I have a 1989 Privilege 39. She came with a new full batten mainsail with only one reef, and not a very deep one at that.
I want to add at least one more point, maybe two. Does anyone have any recommendations on where or at what percentage to set the next reef(s).
I have some ideas based on twenty years of mono-hull sailing but I would like to hear what experienced catamaran sailors think.
The other sails on the boat are the high cut working jib and an ASM spinnaker.
What sails would you not leave home without ?
Thanks,
Russ
Mango Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Hi Russ - I am far from being a sailmaker, but I bet your mono experience is a good reference for where to put add'l reefs. Despite the "proper" locations, the build of your sail will probably dictate the available locations considering batten and luff car (if you have them) locations. Only your sailmaker knows for sure.

I have three reefs. I don't know the exact % but the second is a bigger chunk than the first and the third is bigger than the second. By eyeball measurement, by the time the third reef is in, a little more than a third of the sail is left. It's logical to me that the third reef should represent what you want for a storm sail. I've never used the third and don't plan on it.

As for "don't leave home without it" I'd put my sym spi on the list (after main & genny). I'm currently in the process of acquiring a Code 0 to round out my inventory.

Hope this helps,
Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:50   #3

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Hi Russ,

I agree with 2Hulls regarding the placing of the reefs. I also have a jib, (self tacking), an asymmetric spinnaker and a Code0 (in Kevlar,on an endless roller) I love the Code0 for ligher winds from a relative angle of around 40-45 degrees to around 70-80 degrees, up to a true wind speed of around 18 knots.
For stronger winds and deeper sailing I use the asymmetric.

I also have a kitesail from kiteship.com that is great for downwind work, but this needs at least one helper. all the others I can handle by myself, just put the boat on autopilot.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:10   #4

Nordic Cat,

Without hijacking this thread, I would love to hear more about your kitesail. What is your technique for launch and retrieval? How much tending does it need to keep it trimed? What is the range of windspeed for use? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Nordic Cat,

Without hijacking this thread, I would love to hear more about your kitesail. What is your technique for launch and retrieval? How much tending does it need to keep it trimed? What is the range of windspeed for use? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Me too. Please
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:33   #6

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Nordic Cat,

Thanks

There was an earlier thread on this topic that wandered a bit, but my answer is on page 3.

Look here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-11935-3.html

Any questions just get back to me.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:23   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 MANGO
Hello all,
Thanks for the input.
I guess I will aim for about 50% depending on where the battens fall and what the sail loft has to say.
Russ
Mango Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33   #8

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
3 reefs in the main as mentioned earlier. Really small on the third. A genoa of some sort will help your light air upwind performance.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:19   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rule of Thumb: Each reef reduces the sail by about* 20%
* Depends somewhat on batten type & placement.

A common first-reef position reduces a mainsail’s size by 20 percent (to 80% of full).
A second reef generally shaves off 40 percent (to 60%).
Offshore cruisers may choose to have deeper reefs or to add a third row, usually reducing by 60 to 70% (to 30 to 40%).
Regardless of how small your mainsail may be reefed, it’s still prudent to carry a trysail when passagemaking. A trysail serves as both a storm sail (about 30% of full) and a small backup mainsail.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote