Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Any information or test results of pleasure boats using biocyl. I would think that if it truly worked you could get a good bottom and barrier coat that lasts a long time.
Probably, but if the stuff is x2 or x3 the price of epoxy ..who would use it?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 17:34   #17

Boat: Gravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Probably, but if the stuff is x2 or x3 the price of epoxy ..who would use it?
Is that a price confirmed by any of the companies?
lancelots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 19:15   #18

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
Quote:
but if the stuff is x2 or x3 the price of epoxy ..who would use it?

I would imagine that the stuff is at least 2 to 3 times if not more in price due to it's seemingly strict and involved application methods.

Quote:
BIOCYL’s unique nanostructure, based on silicone resins containing multi-wall carbon nanotubes, prevents common marine organisms from adhering to coated surfaces.
I'm not really up to speed on CNT tech but I do know what they are and how most of them are made. So, I would think that the CN's that are infused in the bottom coat would have to be extremly thick to acheive those results. And if they are in the coating that thick how would one make sure that they are mixed through and through to avoid CNT thick and thin spots to accomplish their "product statements".

Quote:
However, it is important to note that the performance of BIOCYL™ is dependent on Nanocyl’s proprietary dispersion technique and selection of primers. Using this methodology properly will help achieve perfect adhesion to substrates, and the best fouling release results.

And this little note would seem to me to be the perfect excuse to back out of any warranty issues with their product. " Ahhhh, you didn't apply the Biocyl properly so we will not...yadda yadda blah blah blah."
WD
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 15:59   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What's the goal here? Strength for construction? Or bottom coating to keep the crud off?

Sounds a lot like graphite-filled epoxy, claiming to be too slick for growth to stick to it. That would seem to be something easily tested and if it worked at all well--these folks really should be out there marketing it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 20:33   #20

Lightbulb

The main question was for strength related application of Nanotubes which appear to work exceptionally well not only improving strength to weight ratio but also improving the repairability of broken carbon fibre hulls, I added the Biocyl bit just for interest.
Apparently new processes have made Carbon Nanotubes cheaper to produce in bulk. So I thought it may interest the Cat section, being all about strong and light. The fact that they are starting to build offshore power boats from this stuff points to a great future as costs get lower and lower.
While I am no expert on Nanotubes I’m hoping that this may start a discussion that enlightens any one that has even the smallest interest in building with this system as I think it would be the ultimate building system. I’m also hoping that some more enlightened posters will join the conversation as to the best layup of fibres to go with the system, whether Pre-Preg, or infusion would be better.
From my enquiries
In terms of benefit of CNT combined with Epoxy resin (I suppose that you are using a blend bisphenol-A with Bisphenol-F for the infusion process) in hull construction they will be beneficial in terms of de-lamination resistance (level of improvement expected 20-50% depending on the type of fiber used, lower level if it is glass fiber and higher level if it is aramid fibers), impact resistance, reduction of the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (CTE) which means lower surface defect given by the difference in elongation between the fiber and matrix (epoxy in this case) and achievement of anti-static properties of the final composite material.
Having said all that perhaps I should have started this thread in the construction forum…..Perhaps the moderators would like to move it?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:02   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelots View Post
the best layup of fibres to go with the system, whether Pre-Preg, or infusion would be better.
Hmmm . . . pre-preg is the clear choice in process. Material is more expensive but the laminate consistency is much higher.

Thin plys would be best for fatigue resistance and allow optimal placement of off axis fibers - more difficult for hand layup but multi-ply complexes can be laid up with relatively cheap tape plotters.

just follow the bread crumbs dropped by the aerospace guys and you will see the best path
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Hmmm . . . pre-preg is the clear choice in process. Material is more expensive but the laminate consistency is much higher.
I'm looking at pre-preg and foams that can take the heat of being baked

Foam core materials for composites - Corecell™ - GURIT - Prepreg, Honeycomb, Core material for Composite Materials

not to sure I'm heading the right way it took me a good year to understand the ins and outs of vac-infusion (unfortunately the medication I'm on for chronic pain blurs my eyes and mind)

Plus I'm trying to find some more info on pre-preg and female mold building but finding that a bit scarce.

any links would be helpful