Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 19:55   #1

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Build a New Cat with Me ?

I'm about to embark on building a new Chris White Atlantic 57. I was wondering how best to document that process. I've been asked to keep a blog with lots of pictures and update it often. I can do that, but I was wondering if this forum might be a better tool to share that process.

Has anyone else documented that in this forum? Does it even make sense to create a message thread around this or should I keep it separate on my blog?

Since most topics get closed after a period of time it's doesn't seem a perfect fit but it would be interesting?

Thanks,
Tim
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 21:13   #2

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
I couldn't be bothered with a full blog but I post some progress photos on a builders forum. Seemed more appropriate to me.
I post on the Easy builders forum, which is a ply cat design, even though I am building in balsa sandwich. They are a nice bunch over there so I feel welcome.
YACHT BUILDING CORNER :: View topic - SV Whimsical

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 21:44   #3

If you choose to 'Blog' it then be sure you're prepared for much more responses during the process than you likely now anticipate. It'll seem ok in the beginning, but can easily get overwhelming trying to answer all the questions that will invariably pop up out of everywhere, and nowhere, during the process. Your build will be inspiring to people, but since they aren't the one's "doing", they'll not recognise that their questions are simply one of a distracting many. If you Blog the process, I guarantee you'll find out just how big and cozy of a world we truly live in. It definitely consumes time...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 00:18   #4

Where?

Tim,
Where are you building your boat? In Boulder or some place else? How far along are you?
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Sailblog?

I'm using Sailblogs to show my fitting out and (hopefully) eventual trip.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:52   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
If you choose to 'Blog' it then be sure you're prepared for much more responses during the process than you likely now anticipate. It'll seem ok in the beginning, but can easily get overwhelming trying to answer all the questions that will invariably pop up out of everywhere, and nowhere, during the process. Your build will be inspiring to people, but since they aren't the one's "doing", they'll not recognise that their questions are simply one of a distracting many. If you Blog the process, I guarantee you'll find out just how big and cozy of a world we truly live in. It definitely consumes time...

DO you own a boat now? Just getting something simple done on the exterior can multiply in time quickly. People want to ask what your doing, why your doing it, and when will it be done? As soon as this person walks away. Another may come by with the same questions. I can only imagine a blog being VERY OVERWHELMING.....BEST WISHES on the build....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:21   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhapCity View Post
I'm about to embark on building a new Chris White Atlantic 57. I was wondering how best to document that process. I've been asked to keep a blog with lots of pictures and update it often. I can do that, but I was wondering if this forum might be a better tool to share that process.

Has anyone else documented that in this forum? Does it even make sense to create a message thread around this or should I keep it separate on my blog?
I think the advantage to a blog is that it’s yours, creatively speaking. You can set up your own sections on things like gear sourcing, frustrations, lessons learned and so on. A post might contain ideas that fit into more than one section and you could search by either, both or by time. For example, people could look up just the posts on, say, epoxy. If you tried to do that here, the thread would include lots on paint, vinylester and polyester. So for the reader to distill what you learned on mixing, temps, cure times, which product you liked etc would be lost in the mix, so to speak.

Additionally you have the room to mention things not totally appropriate in a forum (“I’d really like to thank my friend Mike and his lovely wife, Tina, for helping me and Lisa with running the wiring….”)

Blogs also seem to encourage on topic discussions or at least minimize the off topic comments to that post only. As a result the whole thing is easier for others to follow.

As for the overwhelming responses ... you don't have to answer every one. But I would first question that assumption. Here's why: Microship has published books, blogs and webpages for some time now. He's a technonomadic expert; I love reading posts on his blog. Yet I don't comment on them much and I've noticed not all that many other people do either. Same was true for the S/V Rikki-Tikki-Tavi.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:43   #8

Thanks everyone. I'll setup a blog at themillerclan.com which is my old stale website. I'll do something for the new vessel soon.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:46   #9

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Thanks,

looking forward to follow the build and fitting out. It would be great if you have time to go through some of the decision making processes, like what were the options and what you decided to go for.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 15:06   #10
cruiser

I love boat-building blogs-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhapCity View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll setup a blog at themillerclan.com which is my old stale website. I'll do something for the new vessel soon.
I'm looking forward to your blog!
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07   #11

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
looking forward to follow the build and fitting out. It would be great if you have time to go through some of the decision making processes...
Same here. And same to you, Alan, when the time comes.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:49   #12

Interesting Catamaran. And use your camera much...
Old 07-09-2008, 20:36   #13

Good Luck! I can't wait to see the blog.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 20:49   #14

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
I second Freetime The best blogs have heeps of photos
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 20:54   #15

Ok, here's a prototype. I'll work on it more next weekend.

Building Agility