Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 04:11   #1

re: Bridge Deck Clearance ? HOW MUCH 40-50ft !

Barry, you have ETA for launch of website? Thanks.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:21   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Yeah, yeah, get out of the armchair!

You want windage, pointing ability, speed or leeway? Or some magic?

Answer the question ONLY after you have done sufficient research / experienced it while in the cockpit / bashed to windward and screamed downwind for a few hundred miles / etc......
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:32   #3

Boat: none

I own a Schionning Wilderness 1620 ,thats 53ft, we have sailed 15,000 ocean miles in some pretty attrocious conditions and the only time we ever slammed under the bridge deck was a crossing of the Gulf of Carpentaria in northern Australia,a notorius area for very short confused seas. Even then it only happened on a handfull of occaissions ,so didnt bother us at all. The bridge deck clearance is around 1mtr loaded for cruising . I have heard of some production cat owners who just accept bridge deck slamming as a fact of life, fact is it can be structurely dangerous and damn right scarey and very noisey to have a low bridge deck.
I have attached a link to a video of my boat taken bow on where you can see the clearance and how the boat behaves while sailing Albiet in slight conditions.http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://<iframe width="560" height="3...reen></iframe>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 15:44   #4
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Barry, you have ETA for launch of website? Thanks.
Hi Richards5 and other Forum members,

I have to watch what I say in the Forum because I seem to cross the line, I want to help Cat owners and potential buyers to buy the best Multihull for the right reasons.

There are too many Condos, Caravans with masts, and Cats that seem to brake the rules, one minute we are told you can't have a tall Mast because of Capsize, then the designers tell us we want Fly Bridges that raises the Center of effort which causes Capsize.

Watching the guys with Fly Bridges who cannot reach the Mainsail because the Boom is 6' above their head. One guy used a step ladder to climb up, he is 14' off the water on a step ladder - Health & Safety went out the window.

ETA on what you asked about is 14 days hopefully.

Regards

Barry Parkinson
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 02:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazcatana View Post
Hi Richards5 and other Forum members,

I have to watch what I say in the Forum because I seem to cross the line, I want to help Cat owners and potential buyers to buy the best Multihull for the right reasons.

There are too many Condos, Caravans with masts, and Cats that seem to brake the rules, one minute we are told you can't have a tall Mast because of Capsize, then the designers tell us we want Fly Bridges that raises the Center of effort which causes Capsize.

Watching the guys with Fly Bridges who cannot reach the Mainsail because the Boom is 6' above their head. One guy used a step ladder to climb up, he is 14' off the water on a step ladder - Health & Safety went out the window.

ETA on what you asked about is 14 days hopefully.

Regards

Barry Parkinson
Hello Barry,

Fly Bridge or not is not a question of safety: it is a question of feeling. You like or you hate (there are already a lot of topics about it...) but keep in mind that the architect of these boats (I think you are mainly targeting French builders) are also the ones who designs the fatest multi of last decades... They know what they do.
Waiting your website to be online to see what is a good cata for you...

Cheers
courju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck