Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2006, 00:09   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Berthing fees

OK, so someone has been talking to my wife I am sure, because she has suddenly taken an interest is cats. So Own up, Who was it????
Anyway, I think owning one will be out of our reach, they are very very expensive down here. Although I thought I had come across a real cheap Fontain Pajot at 190K. Wow, that's a hell of a lot of boat for that sort of money, maybe we could do something like that after all. Then I noticed the funny euro sign. So it was 190K euro, ouch.

Anyway, to get to the point, how do marinas charge for Cats. Like, they take up two side by side births like the one my boat is currently in, so is the charge double?? That's gotta hurt if it is.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 02:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Hey, Alan,

If your wife is asking about "birthing" fees, 190K isn't gonna cover the next 18 years, let alone the university fees and tuition!

I hear you on the pesky euro symbols. They even make us expat Americans cringe these days!
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 06:51   #3

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We have lived aboard on catamarans for over 3 years, and we have never been charged double at a marina. We don't spend a lot of time at marinas because we prefer to anchor out, but when we do take a slip, it is usually a face dock. In that case, there is no reason for the marina to charge more.

Some marinas are simply more cat-friendly than others. Some can't handle them at all. I have no idea what the marina situation for cats in NZ is, but I'll bet if you make some calls to the marinas in your area you can get a good picture of the situation down there.

Finally, don't give up on a cat. There are good used cats on the market (and I don't mean the ones coming out of charter!), but you will need perseverance to find them. Good luck.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 08:29   #4

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
Lightbulb Re: Berth Fees

Look into a Gemini 105. At 14' wide, it fits into most single slips, and as Alan Wheeler notes, the side dock length should not matter at all unless they are REALLY cramped for width outboard of the dock.

Old 17-07-2006, 08:32   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
"but you will need perseverance to find them"

Harriet, does that mean you will be loaning out your boat for the search?
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 12:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah well unfortunately, our marina is full and there is a waiting list. It cost us $5K a year for our 14m and it keeps going up each year. And if ya complain, they just say, tuff we have a waiting list.

Old 17-07-2006, 14:44   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Wheels,

The Marina situation in Florida, USA isn't much different than yours. If you complain, they'll just uninvite you as quick as they can. otgadventures has made a good point in that not all Cats are 20 feet wide. The Gemini's and older English Cats like mine fit into a 'normal' slip. I know this doesn't help if you plan on moving aboard, but it's something to consider.

Rick in Florida, USA
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 19:10   #8
Kai Nui

Wheels, IMHO, changing to a Gemini 105 from the boat you have would be a step down, although the price is in your ball park. Still, the beam is more pallatable than the 20' beam of a larger cat. The reception cats get seems to vary by location. If you can get her in the slip you have, you might have some bargaining power. Otherwise, the best option is to buy one with a transferable slip. I have to say, I think you will like the cat, and I would bet money that your better half will.
Old 17-07-2006, 20:08   #9

Wheels.

I agree with Kai. You be better off keeping your present boat.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 20:23   #10
Kai Nui

Not what I was saying. I was saying the Gemini 105 would be a step down. A cat, in general, I am all for it.
Old 17-07-2006, 20:27   #11

Well, a Gemini 105. Yeah.

If you got one in your sights Wheels. Take a really good look at her. Then "only you" can make that decision?

Sorry I misquoted ya Kai.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 21:07   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Those Gemini's don't seem to grow old gracefully, do they? On the other hand, they do sell a lot of them.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 21:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How did we get onto the Gemini 105 bit? I mentioned a Fontaine Pajot 12.6. I think I could live with that, but my pocket couldn't.
No don't panic guys, I aint converting to one of those two boat hulls stuck together things. If you need two hulls, it can't be a good boat huh;-)
I'll stick top a real boat thanks.

Old 18-07-2006, 05:43   #14

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
pirate Two Hulls

Hi,
I think we "got onto the Gemini 105 bit" because you asked about "birthing" fees for Cats. My only comment, without the stepping up or down qualifiers is that the Gemini is 14' wide and fits in a SINGLE BERTH space, that's all.

The Gemini is only 14 years into production, and the ones I've seen seem to be holding up well. Ours at a 1999 version is in good condition, glass good, and appraised at survey to within 95% of the asking price.

Yes they seem to sell well also.

Old 18-07-2006, 22:29   #15
Bob Norson

Marina berth costs in general are a big bone of contention in this nieghborhood. Multis are worse of course. Mackay marina is the cutting edge in design and build quality, just got an award as the best in the country. They charge about a third more for the multi berths... yes they have a large selection of berths designed for cats. Some older marinas down south don't have multi berths and they do charge double if there isn't any end berths left. Farrier tri's that can be folded up when coming into a marina are gaining popularity... including from me. We are considering one if we don't build a cat soon. I own a 14 metre mono berth.

cheers

Tags
fees