Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 12:42   #16

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Bali Catamaran Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The boat's worst part is the sailing ability which is close to none.. Very slow with tiny main an small self tacking gib and its impossible to sail in a less than 10-12 kts of apparent. For some reason I found the Yanmar 40 HP engines are quite noisy, maybe poor insulation ??

Overall, good value for money..If you are keen to motor most of the time, she might be for you.
I happen to agree that the sail plan is smaller than I would like (on our 4.0)... but based upon our experience sailing alongside other cruising cats (and based upon some posts in the "light airs" thread going on here), it doesn't seem like our sailing performance is so much worse than most other cruising cats.
And that's from a couple who just taught ourselves to sail... so we clearly aren't gaining speed on sail trim or skills.

We go almost everywhere by sail alone and only rarely have found ourselves in light enough winds or pointing high enough that we decided to motorsail.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:16   #17
Freelance Sailboat Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm on a Bali 4.5 and just discovered what appears to be a poor installation from the factory. It's clear that when she left the factory, there was minimal (no?) clearance between the leading edge of the saildrive housings and the aperture in the hulls. The drives have been colliding/abrading against the hull, and it's resulted in substantial erosion of the housings and hull -- looks like the housings have worn almost completely through at the points of contact. Has anyone else experienced this, and were you able to get compensation from Bali for the repairs that will obviously be needed?
BVIbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
We have one Bali 4.1 from 2020 in our charter fleet. Finish is mediocre, not bad, spaces are gorgeous , ventilation is poor in all but particularly the aft cabins, helm station offers a good view and has a decent fly bridge for her size.. The boat's worst part is the sailing ability which is close to none.. Very slow with tiny main an small self tacking gib and its impossible to sail in a less than 10-12 kts of apparent. For some reason I found the Yanmar 40 HP engines are quite noisy, maybe poor insulation ??

Overall, good value for money..If you are keen to motor most of the time, she might be for you.

BTW, 4.1 will fade out by the end of this year and be replaced by 4.2 which has an opening door to fore deck.
Lastly, you may like her or not, but Bali has had a great success in the market having sold this year 150 boats and they are planning to expand their capacity to 250 for next year. Obviously we don't know if they can ever do that because of Covid, but they are certainly selling very well.

Cheers

Yeloya
I chartered a Bali 4.1 last summer and agree with what you observed around the engine noise and the sailing performance

The Bali we chartered was 1 year old and it looked like a 5-6 yr old boat!!

Could of been because of the abuse from whoever chartered her or the poor maintenance of the charter company or a combination of both

In any case I kept saying how pissed off I would be if I were to be it’s owner to see it in such condition!

Table was peeling off , gel coat showed cracks in the aft cockpit , cushions faded ..
Kev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 13:20   #19

Hi everybody. I've ordered one Bali 4.6 which I'll receive in November.
When I had a trial I've noticed also that the engines was doing a lot of noise because of the poor insulation so I've ordered a special cover which I hope it will fix this matter.
I've also ordered 1 Parasailor that I hope it will help to have better performances when sailing even if I'm aware that this type of catamaran it's far away to be a performance catamaran. The last comment by @Kev77 scaring, I hope this is an isolated case and that I will not have this kind of problem.
Temis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 13:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temis View Post
Hi everybody. I've ordered one Bali 4.6 which I'll receive in November.
When I had a trial I've noticed also that the engines was doing a lot of noise because of the poor insulation so I've ordered a special cover which I hope it will fix this matter.
I've also ordered 1 Parasailor that I hope it will help to have better performances when sailing even if I'm aware that this type of catamaran it's far away to be a performance catamaran. The last comment by @Kev77 scaring, I hope this is an isolated case and that I will not have this kind of problem.
Congrats!!

What engine cover did you order? Keep us posted if it makes a notable difference!

If your boat has fixed props consider folding or feathering props. We added some Featherstream props last year and no question a huge difference in performance/speed, especially in lighter winds!
Old 25-06-2021, 14:37   #21

Volvo cover for each engine. Of course, I'll tell you if it's working.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:21   #22

JOY 5.4

Took delivery in February 2021.
Nothing but problems. Getting warranty work completed is like pulling teeth. Dream Yacht just give me the run around and has been for 7 months now.

Stay away from Dream Yacht
Joy Bali 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Bali 54 View Post
JOY 5.4
I’m certainly sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with the charter company, but I’m not sure it’s relevant to someone looking to buy a Bali to live on.

Best of luck getting everything worked out!
Old 03-09-2021, 10:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Bali 54 View Post
JOY 5.4

Took delivery in February 2021.
Nothing but problems. Getting warranty work completed is like pulling teeth. Dream Yacht just give me the run around and has been for 7 months now.

Hi,
I'm sorry for you to hear this and worried because I too placed my order from Dream Yacht. Delivery is scheduled for October. Would you kindly reply to me by private message to tell me what kind of problems you had with them please?
thank you so much
Old 03-09-2021, 11:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
I’m certainly sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with the charter company, but I’m not sure it’s relevant to someone looking to buy a Bali to live on.

Best of luck getting everything worked out!
It does in fact have a lot to do with Buying a new Bali.

I bought a brand new Bali 5.4 and Dream Yacht Sales was the “Dealer” I purchased thru. I never said Dream Yacht Charter.

They, Dream Yacht does not stand behind the Bali warranty.

I have been fighting for right at 7 months now and I still have a brand new Bali 5.4 that should have never left the building.
Joy Bali 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 18:25   #26

Anyone have a 4.2 they are considering selling? I'll be in the market later this year...

Send me private message if you do.
sgraham2092 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran