Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 00:13   #16

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Balance Catamarans

My understanding is (from Phil Berman) that the Balance 421 is essentially the Montebello design, and changes were made to come up with the Balance 451, same designer, which is the boat we see launched.

Scarlett,

I wanted to respond to your concern that a design like the Balance,( ie. less well known, at least at this time) would suffer re resale value. A boat that is well designed and built with good materials and techniques may well be a more attractive boat for resell, DEPENDING on the buyer.

An experienced buyer may well be more interested in a boat that suits their needs better and has a quality advantage rather than a well known boat that doesn't. The market is probably smaller for those experienced/knowledgeable buyers, that is true, but not everyone wants to go bluewater cruising for many years in polyester, charter influenced, poor performance production boats that are built and equipped, to a price for volume sales.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:08   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesalt View Post
The Montebello was being built in Australia, it was designed by Roger Hill, they went bust and went to Thailand I believe. The Balance catamaran is being built in China by Phillip Berman from The Multihull Company and was also designed by Roger Hill. Obviously using the same designer doesn't mean they are the same boat. No more than the Morrelli and Melvin designed Gunboats and Leopards are the same boat! All depends on the specification given to the designer!
Although I believe the molds went to China.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:51   #18

Yep, the balance molds are the Montebello molds from Australia, now modified with stern extensions and the reverse bow. Otherwise it's the same boat.
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:21   #19

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe818 View Post
Yep, the balance molds are the Montebello molds from Australia, now modified with stern extensions and the reverse bow. Otherwise it's the same boat.

Well.. I never saw the Montebello either.. so it will definitely be a new design for me... Looking forward to it. I'll give you my impression after the show.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 21:00   #20

I was following the progress of the new Balance 451 with interest but haven't seen or heard much for a while. Anybody know if the project is still on track? Nice looking boat, would be seriously interested if it gets established.
BahtSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:01   #21

Boat: PDQ32

They had the 451 at the boat show in Annapolis in October. It is a nice boat - quality seemed good .

Henry

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-12-2014, 07:28   #22

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
They had the 451 at the boat show in Annapolis in October. It is a nice boat - quality seemed good .

Henry

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hi Henryv,

I couldn't disagree more. I thought it was poorly assembled... poorly designed... and very poor quality. I was so disappointed because I also was following it's progress on line, and was very excited to see it. In fact, at Annapolis, it was on the top of my "must see" list... and I couldn't have been more disappointed.

Phil, himself, was there, and I listened to his conversation with the other guests, and I kept hearing him say, over and over again.. "we did this because it was cheaper"... that says it all. I wouldn't take one of these even if they gave it to me free...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:57   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Look how low it sits and notice that there is no rig. I guess that would be 500 to a 1000 pounds more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balance 451.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	93005  
Old 05-12-2014, 15:46   #24

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Sand crab,

Are you referring to the fore-aft trim, or to the DWL immersion?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:45   #25

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Sand crab,

I expect DWL immersion. It was noticible the 1st Montebello I saw at the santuary Cove BS several years sat a bit low in the water. That always an issue at around 40ft when it has a lot of gear.

i would have thought that with the extra WL of the 451 that issues would have been lessened although it might come back to the build itself (light or heavy) in China.

Although Montebello where using good technigues infused foam their version suffered from back of bouyance within its waterline length.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Sand crab,

DWL. I was just showing an affirmation of the other posts about it being too heavy.
The fore-aft looks good btw but you would wonder if the rig would sit with the weight centered. If not then this would change. I can't find a pic that really shows the boat rigged to confirm this.
Old 01-10-2015, 14:47   #27

This thread on the Balance 451 stopped in June of 2014 with a concern over how low the at that point little seen Balance 451 sat in the water. The boat has been well seen since that time. What is the current opinion on whether the boat sits too low?
Sail power sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:56   #28

Compare this pic with the one in post #23 and you can see that they raised the waterline several inches. Look at the thru hull. It definitely sits lower than the design specs. I don't know how it sails but you have to wonder..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balance_451_header.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	110340  
Old 01-10-2015, 19:11   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I would bet most cats water lines sit below the designers specs. While at the Miami boat show this year we looked at the Balance. I don't know how she sailed, but compared to the rest of the cats at the boat show she was laid out to be a true cruising boat and not a dock queen.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:13   #30

The difference between the picture in 23 vs 28 is significant. I'm going to look at it carefully during the Miami boat show in early 16. I've never owned a new boat and I suspect my next boat won't be new either, however.
Sail power sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran