Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 16:26   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Yachts in San Carlos

My partner and I are travelling to La Paz and San Carlos first week in May. We have found few boats on Yachtworld we are interested in, but Im putting some feelers out for other boats you might know of. Also, recommendations for brokers and surveyors.
If you are cruising the area we would love to meet too!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 16:35   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Yachts in San Carlos

It would probably help if you list your budget as well as what you are looking for in a boat. Design, age, length, solar, watermaker, autopilot, etc....
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 17:27   #3

Ya, I was intentionally vague. I can certainly list all desired features. But seriously, How many people can respond? Also, lists arent really the whole story. Insted of me giving list of limitations, I would rather learn about boats others know of regardless of my lists. You never know what someone knows of that is worth considering off the list.
I know the linear types wont get it, byt there you are, we all operate differently.
Old 14-03-2016, 19:02   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

length and price range would help, we are in the area, if we see anything we can let you know. but really should know price range and size.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 19:30   #5

Boat: Celestial 48

There are two yacht brokers in San Carlos; La Paz Yachts (San Carlos office, aka San Carlos Yacht Sales), and Avenger Yacht Sales. Both are at Marina San Carlos.
If you are looking for cheap fixer-upper, Marina Seca has a lot of forfeited boats (mostly is very bad condition). Getting good paper work can be a challenge however.
Note that a US boat on an import permit can't be directly sold in Mexico, but the brokers have the work arounds all figured out.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 07:57   #6

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Although we never ended up in San Carlos, we did speak to a very knowledgeable surveyor there. He name is Allan Smith allansmithmarin@hotmail.com . Hope you find that useful.

Some day we will make it there. Must be getting hot there now.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:21   #7

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

Hello Sea Dreaming,
I've never dealt with them, but the brokerage La Paz Yachts Yacht Broker - Marina de La Paz in San Carlos, La Paz and Mazatlan all are owned by the same guy, Ray Watson.
There appear to be lots of good old boats for sale in those three areas.
If you get near Mazatlan, Rich Cummings is the best surveyor I know. Very thorough.
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:22   #8

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Don at San Carlos Yachts has a large list of boats and is very easy to work with. Allen Smith is an excellent surveyor. Beings you don't care to list price and length I would suggest you contact Don to see what is available.

Victor, it's actually great here right now. Not to hot at all. Give it a try, I think you will not be disappointed.
sloopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
My partner and I are travelling to La Paz and San Carlos first week in May. We have found few boats on Yachtworld we are interested in, but Im putting some feelers out for other boats you might know of. Also, recommendations for brokers and surveyors.
If you are cruising the area we would love to meet too!
Don't know what you are looking for but Trillium is on the hard in San Carlos and owners are motivated. I've been trying to put a package together so I could buy her but nothing yet. She's a beautiful Horstman tri, 40-something..
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:17   #10

Boat: 1981 Morgan 462

Hola Sea Dreaming , we'll be in La Paz last week of April first week of May. Drop us a line, Steve
koolekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 17:20   #11

I followed the link and looked at the listings in San Carlos and they dont look at all different pricewise than Calif, Oregon and Washington. The broker even said that they price according to US prices. I am sure there are some great deals from private owners, rather than brokers, but that may be much more difficult to do legally. I have purchased 2 boats that were thousands of miles from home and found it is much more difficult to repair (bring all of your tools) or outfit a boat away from your own turf. Having said that, there are a couple of boats that look very good to me and if I was looking right now, I might travel there. Buying in another country makes life an adventure. Just my opinion. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 06:53   #12

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Fiberglass repair, bright work, sail repair, stainless work, general labor, all much cheaper in Mexico. Importing parts, not so much. If you buy a boat in la Paz, Tom at Cruisers Supply is a great resource.

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:03   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do hope you are going to be going to see the boats before you consider purchase. i have seen some of the boats ray has for sale in mazatlan. some are excellent, some not so, depending on owners of the boats.
he DOES have a large selection, be prepared to travel to see some. there are a few miles between san carlos and la paz and mazatlan. best of hunting.
make sure you have the ritual down for changing paperworks and t i p so you encounter no problems

btw--repairing in mexico is best farther away from border.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 05:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Although we never ended up in San Carlos, we did speak to a very knowledgeable surveyor there. He name is Allan Smith allansmithmarin@hotmail.com . Hope you find that useful.

Some day we will make it there. Must be getting hot there now.

Thank you. We have already contacted Allan Smith. But its good to get a reccomendation.
Old 19-03-2016, 05:50   #15

Thank you for all the responses. Yes, I sould have at keast stated length!
We are looking at Monohulls 30-36 feet. Condition is much more important than size!

Z- no worries, we will look!

Tags
san carlos, yacht