Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 02:51   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Amel, Morris or Halberg-Rassy
Old 31-01-2013, 11:57   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: What sailboat to buy?

Welcome aboard!
There are a lot of quality yachts under a million dollars in price and they might be used.
kind regards,
Old 31-01-2013, 16:07   #18

Boat: Newport 28 II
Should have kept your Shannon. Great boats. Your correct most production boats are junk. Its hard to settle on one.......
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 16:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Should have kept your Shannon. Great boats. Your correct most production boats are junk. Its hard to settle on one.......
Yea, right ... and still being sailed RTW everyday.
Old 31-01-2013, 16:20   #20

I'm with Doodle - Amel all the way (we own Maramu #105)

Find what you like
Old 31-01-2013, 17:41   #21

Boat: Boereal 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
I have been sailing for well over 20 years and have owned many different cruising sailboats during that time. Also, I have seen many boat builders with excellent products go out of business. Reading the sailing magazines, one would think all the boats made by your typical cookie cutter companies are fine products. But having been on many recently built production sailboats, to put it lightly, I am unimpressed. Frankly, I question whether some of them would even be safe for anything but coastal cruising although they are advertised as Water boats">blue water boats.

My question is, with the most recent demise of Valient, are they any great production sailboats made now that don't cost over a million dollars, and are true blue water boats. I am looking at boats now since I sold my Shannon a few months ago and am at a loss for anything worthy of buying. Any suggestions for new boats I might look at would be appreciated.
Being that you are an experienced sailor I would suggest you take a good look at the new boats being built in Europe. Europe has a booming market in new blue water cruising boats all of them so far advanced from boats like we have sailed for years. Most of them are under 1 million dollars.
We went from a Mason 44 to the Boreal 44 which is an expedition style blue water boat. Aluminum, centerboard design made for extreme sailing. Bienvenue chez Boreal There are many well made aluminum made boats out there that sail fast, go to places you can't get to in most older designed blue water boats, are very easy maintenance and sea worthy. There are also many composite boats built in Europe that are stable, fast and still sea kindly. Be cautious of the HR's as they are still a good boat but some of their newer models do not have good storage lockers for all your fenders, sail bags, etc. they have made them more for coastal cruising now.

It is sad we do not have strong N. American boat building companies any more, anyway for what it sounds like you are looking for.

Good Luck and take a look toward Europe.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:14   #22

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
The old salts on the forum might shake their head on this, but if I had the funds to go new ( under a mil) ..... I am going to take that new Seaward 46 for a spin. If that doesn't fit I am going with the IP or Blue Jacket.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:14   #23

I'm with stevewrye ...It may be too extreme for your taste but if it were me I'd love to have a Boreal (that 44 is the cat's meow ) , Ovni or maybe a Garcia.
Old 31-01-2013, 19:18   #24

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt

I have had so many boats that I can not remember them all from a 48 Foot Swan down to a 20 foot Pacific Seacraft Flicka. 15 to 20 I think! Actually I presently own 2 Pacific Seacraft and have bought new ones before from the factory. I think the bottom line is you already know what you want and you are just fishing to get more ideas. Just plan on paying about a hundred grand and bite the bullet. You are not getting any younger and life is very short and now is the time to go. Since you already have experience in sailing then you just need to see really what you are willing to live with or without. I suggest you try and keep it simple unless you plan on having a fully crewed boat and you are just along for the ride.
I prefer Pacific Seacraft because they are bulletproof and everything works day after day and the sailing characteristics are outstanding. Very sea kindly, nice woodwork and well put together. I am sorry it is not made in the middle east and it does not have a cast iron ballest and no leaks.
Whatever you choose, I am sure it will be ok. The irony of it is most ask because they have never sailed a boat before, but you have a history with the water and I would have thought you would have come up with your likes and dislikes so you could make your choice. Maybe I just don't understand. Let me put it this way, boats are like cars, some pretty, some fast and some are plush but are dogs in the water. I personally drive a Lotus and I sail a PSC. That says I want response and control.
Good luck on search for the perfect boat, there are too many variables you must decide before you choose and buy. We really can only give you our way of thinking but ultimately the choice is yours.
Cheers!
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 19:27   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Your(sic) correct most production boats are junk.
I disagree, most boats are not designed to go offshore, that doesn't make them junk, it makes them designed for a different purpose.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 19:36   #26

Tee, name all these Cruising boats you have owned.
Old 31-01-2013, 19:36   #27

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Tee

Hmmm - lets see - sailing over 20 years and owned several cruising boats, had a Shannon, sold it a few months ago (in the fall I assume?) and you are at loss with whats out there? Like - you don't know?

Whats going on? This does not sound right.

I would question if there was a Shannon...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 19:39   #28

And Bill, you can't remember all the boats you have owned? Did I read that correctly.
Old 31-01-2013, 19:40   #29

Cheers
Old 31-01-2013, 19:42   #30

2 Pacific Sea crafts. Wow you really should have 4. You would get a better deal at the Marina.

Tags
sailboat