Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 03:52   #1

Location: East coast USA (normally)- Paris, France at the moment
Boat: looking
What Do You Think of these Boats?

My list of suitable vessels continues to morph as I pour over ads and specs.

Seems center cockpits gives us the layouts we think we need (aft cabin). With other desirable traits being: 5'ish draft (less the better) and sturdy construction for ocean passages.

My original list encompassed such boats as: Westerly 36-39 CC's and Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35. Been aboard a Westerly Corsair and researched the hell out of the Rasmus so I am pretty familiar with what they are. Westerlys are super comfy below but seem to have a "high cheese" factor (the engine instrumentation consisting of idiot lights for example) and the Rasmus giving up the room in place of apparent salty bullet-proofness.

What do you think of these as contenders? Any experience or knowledge of these?
1984 Scanmar Center Cockpit Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1981 Swallow Craft Scylla blue water center cockpit offshore live aboard Scylla
DangerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:53   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Danger,

I'm not that familiar with either boat, but the Scanmar looks pretty light at 10,000# for a 35 footer, plus 60 gallons of water is not much. The Swallow Craft is almost twice the displacement at 19,000 and double your water at 125 gallons. To me the Swallow looks like a better boat for your plans.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:07   #3

Oh and this one caught my eye:
1985 Moody Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-03-2010, 05:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Danger,

I'm not that familiar with either boat, but the Scanmar looks pretty light at 10,000# for a 35 footer, plus 60 gallons of water is not much. The Swallow Craft is almost twice the displacement at 19,000 and double your water at 125 gallons. To me the Swallow looks like a better boat for your plans.
Yeah ok but doesn't the lighter boat give the ability to carry more provisions? And then wouldn't 3 jerry jugs and a watermaker (which I will likely have regardless) make up for the lack of water?

I am really after seaworthyness and build quality of these (which looks to be stout on the scanmar) but maybe I can learn a little something about displacement and carrying capacity here too
Old 02-03-2010, 05:29   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Sure you can use jerry cans and a watermaker, but if you are interested in seaworthiness and build quality, the lightness comes from less on something, e.g. hull thickness, hardware, rigging, internal structure, ballast, etc.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerCell View Post
Yeah ok but doesn't the lighter boat give the ability to carry more provisions? And then wouldn't 3 jerry jugs and a watermaker (which I will likely have regardless) make up for the lack of water?

I am really after seaworthyness and build quality of these (which looks to be stout on the scanmar) but maybe I can learn a little something about displacement and carrying capacity here too
Danger,

Actually the lighter boat will be more affected by the provisions you carry because they'll be a higher percentage of the boats overall displacement than a boat of heavier displacement. Put another way, the heavier displacement boat will give you great load carrying ability without affecting the trim of the boat.

Like Doodles, I don't know anything about the Swallow Craft either, but it certainly looks like it was well cared for and with a brand new engine, shaft, prop, autopilot, main and mizzen, in addition to having the greater displacement, would give me more than enough reason to give it a look over.

You might want to try running all of the boats specs through the various sailing calculators and see what the numbers tell you as well.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37   #7

Ok a little confused...saw a post on a formosa that was super heavy and it was said that the boat was so heavy there was no "room" for gear and provisions....seen other similar opinions as well.

Doodles...As for the soundness of the scanmar due to its lightness: after researching the hell out of it (much available on these as opposed to the swallow craft having not much) it seems it is one hell of a boat. Super beefy rigging, bedding to all oversized cleats, superb hull to deck joint, etc...apparently they ram a test boat into a rock at hull speed and it suffers no structural damage and the rigging is strong enough to support the wieght of it. the hull is a min of 35mm thick (just over an inch?)..something about a swedish "blue seal" cert similar to Lloyds cert for what that is worth....maybe it is lighter cuz it is a full foot narrower?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:17   #8

Danger,

If you able to get a hold of Dave Geer's book, "The Nature of Boats" book, read the displacement and shape chapter for a good in depth discussion of both topics.

For me a boat either speaks to me or not the moment I step aboard, so maybe after your research narrows it down to 2 or 3 serious contenders, the decision will be easy after you see them in person.

If the Swallow craft designer is still alive, it might be worthwhile to try and track him down and get his opinion of the built quality of the boat.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
Danger,

If you able to get a hold of Dave Geer's book, "The Nature of Boats" book, read the displacement and shape chapter for a good in depth discussion of both topics....

...If the Swallow craft designer is still alive, it might be worthwhile to try and track him down and get his opinion of the built quality of the boat.
Thanks slow...i'll grab that book.
Oh and the designer is no longer with us...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:29   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Sailboat Design and Stability
Ted Brewer Yacht Design

You might find these an interesting read.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:33   #11

Boat: Ranger 23
Send a message via ICQ to emagin Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin Send a message via Skype™ to emagin
Danger, see my signature link Cruising Boat Spreadsheet.
Lots of info, links and calculations from Holtrop, Mahina, Brewer as well.
emagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:52   #12

Ok, Swallow Craft is a ship builder in Pusan. S. Korea...the only other boats that I can see they built were some 50 ton patrol boats for the Indian navy...as it happens I am close freinds with a retired Admiral in the Indian navy so maybe I can give him a call to see if they were any good, lol!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17   #13

Boat: FP Orana 44
I'm Swedish and the smaller Scanmar 33 was a very successful and popular design here. Many built its regarded in Sweden as a solid and great boat. More of a costal boat compared to HR.

Two very different boats. The Scanmar will sail circles around the Swallow Craft, the latter being more of a traditional long distance cruiser. I don't think you can compare them as they are designed for different usages.

Cheers
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote