Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2010, 10:06   #1

Weekender Boat Restoration

Hello folks. I am a new member, but have been lurking for quite some time. I have been reading LOTS of posts about old versus new boats, and what it cost to fix one up. I have seen that the general concensis is that it is better to save and spend more, than to buy and repair. I understand this is very sound advice for most people, However, I am a very handy person, and I can make most if not all repairs myself (the goal being to have what i want when done). That said My current plan is to buy a basket case (of good original quality) 30 to 37 footer for complete restoration. I will remove the engine and do a complete overhaul, same with all electrics, plumbing, interior, and shore power. Depending on available room and particular boat I aquire I will also have a generator and AC. I will be sanding the entire boat, and appying new gelcoat on the hull, deck, and cockpit, and new bottom paint. The timeline for this project is 4 to 5 years. Here is my problem, there is one area of boats I know nothing about, rigging. I have been a day sailer on sub 20' boats for over 25 years, but I have never rigged a larger boat for crusieing. Is there any advice, or good places to learn about rigging styles, techniques, and materials? Are there any good books, or betteryet websites on this subject?

Thank you very much.

Steve
tacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 11:03   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
For the past 8 years I've been doing the same thing and have just a couple more items to finish up before taking it to the S. Pac. I'm a Jack-of-Trades but a Maintenance Machinist as a profession. And I started working on boats, PBR's and Swifts, in Viet Nam (1969). Not to boast!

Here is my advice;
The rigging you can learn in time. There are courses you can take.

Avoid wood cored hulls, balsa or foam cored decks are OK. Choose the boat wisely, your biggest savings. Get one of a quality builder, another plus!

If you can keep the boat in your yard or someplace real cheap, it'll save you lot$.

You'll have to donate ALMOST all your free time to the boat work. If married it MAYBE a problem. It's all or nothing! There are hundreds of abandon projects out there, let alone perfectly good boats that just need some TLC. hopefully you can fined one of those!

Keep an on going notebook with 'What to buy' and 'What to do' lists and carry it with you at all times. Pick up supplies while in an area. Special trips cost extra.

If your not sure what to do in a fix/refurbish, get several opinions. Your decision may constitute your sea worthy-ness/safety. The CF forum is a great research tool!!!

Stay active in sailing. Crew or join a yacht club! you'll pick up ideas on what needs to be done on yours and keeps you up to date on technologies.

I put my boat in the water, at least, once a year for a couple weeks. Doing so allowed me to proof my work (and to add to my lists ).

I don't know how much experience you have with boats but it maybe best to start on a small boat at first (trailerable) for a couple years and when you feel confident then move up to a bigger project. You sound as though you have the good practical experience to do the work and it is a learning process as you go. I've even seen some pretty shaby work out of the so called professional builders. After 40 years of working on boats one can say they have some experience.

I could go on forever but I'll let others pipe in. CF has a load of knowledge and you've run onto a good source info, besides I need to get down to the boat for more work.
............................_/)

BTW Welcome aboard!
Old 15-06-2010, 11:55   #3

Boat: Tartan 37 - Sea Bungalow
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaBungalow
What we learned:

1. Get a good surveyor so you know what you will be getting into. Word of mouth here rules.
2. Plan on everything taking longer, and having to redo a thing or two as you learn
3. Shop around, prices vary GREATLY when "marine" is stamped on it. Better yet, find a friend with a Port Supply or other merchant discount account.
4. Lists are your friend. Prioritize and re-evaluate constantly
5. Do what NEEDS to be done first (before the money runs out), worry about what would LOOK nice last.
6. Everyone in the boat yard will tell you how you should be doing it. Go and inspect their boat and work before taking their advice. Then go and research it yourself.
7. Fiberglass is itchy, really itchy. Cold showers and hair conditioner seem to help. And it won't wash out of clothes.
8. Protect yourself, all those toxics will kill ya slowly.

The plus side of doing it all yourself is you will intimitely know every inch and screw of your own boat and trust it while you are out there knowing it was done right, or at least how to fix it if it falls apart.

Check out our year long restoration at www.seabungalow.com
SeaBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 13:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'm a Jack-of-Trades but a Maintenance Machinist as a profession.
Nice,
Thank you for the advice, I am an engineer who works as a maintenance department manager for an AS9100 aerospace manufacturer.

I also hve done quite a bit of glass work, and gel finishing, while in college.

Do you have any recomendations from a sailing and construction standpoint on what brands to look for?

Steve
tacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 22:38   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacm View Post
Do you have any recomendations from a sailing and construction standpoint on what brands to look for?

Steve
That is a matter of opinion. My perspective maybe different then yours. Some like full keel boats that are easy at sea and some like fast boats that requires more intestinal fortitude. Some like motor sailors and some barges. It all comes down to what one plans to use it for.

In my case I plan to do a lot of Island hopping in the deep S. Pacific so I chose an old race boat and converted it to a single handed cruiser to fit my own specs. If I were to sail the Caribbean then I would have chose a shoal draft or Catamaran.

So, I guess a good question is how do you intend to use the boat?

Here are a few threads that can lead you to better knowledge of what you may want.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wards-639.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...les-15767.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-23062.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...thy-19168.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oats-4214.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ity-30396.html

Tags
restoration