Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 09:30   #1

Boat: 2002 Bavaria 40
UV Water Purification

Anyone have success with one of those UV Water purifiers on their boat? If so, which one do you recommend? If not, any other suggestions? Right now we're hauling on-board all of our own water for drinking and would love to be able to drink the water in our tanks
sailprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07   #2

Re: UV Water Purification

Well... I see you are in BC. Do you suspect the water is bad? I havent used UV on a boat but do at home. It's pretty trouble free, but be forewarned, the water comes out warm (sits in the SS vessel and the bulb warms it between uses) So for drinking you want to put some in the fridge or etc... otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of water to wait for it to cool down while running. the faucet. The other option is to have a small storage tank after the filter where it cools down.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:19   #3

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: UV Water Purification

If you worry about the harmful microorganism in you tank that you need UV to control them, you should stop them at the first place. It is much more effective to sterilize your tank with bleach and be done with it.

We have well water at home, I shocked the well when we first move in. After 20 years, when we send the water for testing. There is absolutely no bacterial growth.

I always drink from the tank, and never buy bottle water except for emergency use. It is costly and wasteful.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water