Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2007, 20:04   #1

Boat: o'day 22
turkish gulet what the deal?

im still in the market for a afodable live aboard an i came apon the the turkish gulet. and i love the look of this style of this boat so classy and safistacated and in my price range 60000 canadian for a 2001 42' long . however all the ones i find of any price are in well turky . why is there none in north america? how much would it cost to ship it to the west coast .so what the deal ? ps i did a search on this site and nothing came up . thanks for any help
bigwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 05:11   #2

It would probably cost $20-25,000 to ship a boat onboard a container ship from Turkey tp the west coast of the US. This is just a general estimate.
Old 28-04-2007, 05:38   #3

I was in Turkey last year checking out the boating scene. Here is the story with gulets.

1.Almost all are purpose built for the charter trade, which means they are turning more into floating condos than boats.
2.Almost all them have acres of varnish, looks great, however labour is relatively cheap in Turkey so they can afford people to sand and varnish year round.
3.Almost all of them are made of wood (mohagany, oak and teak), doesn't seem to be much of a problem in the Med and in your cool water shouldn't be a problem at all.
4.I came across gulets of varying quality. When an order is placed, they don't build on spec, the owner will pretty much specify how long he's planning to charter the boat, the builder will usually build to those specs, i.e. high quality $$$$$ for an owner expecting to use the boat for many years, low quality $$ for someone who will only be doing day charters and the like for a few years.
5.Shipping a 42' boat, as deck cargo to the east coast of NA is something like $15,000,
Your boat is way too big for a container.
6.However if you want to get a boat built, now that is another story...Turkey is a GREAT place for high quality custom boat building.
:: CobanDenizcilik.Com :: Ana Sayfa

Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 12:25   #4

Boat: o'day 22
thanks for the advice and the great site however a little hard to read lol
bigwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 15:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

I've been toying with these beasts myself or more accuratly the missus likes them, this is a good thing. She's decided she doesn't like the fixed dwelling anymore and wants a movable, again a bloody good thing.

You seem to get a far bit of boat for the $$'s. I've sussed a fair few and most would need a bit of tweaking as they all seems to be set-up for coastal chartering. I'd want to sail mine home to NZ.

Any wise gents out there know of any good places with more info on these. I looked at the site Efraim listed but also had issues reading it, like I just couldn't

Couldn't you sail one back to Canada, it's just a quick hop across that biggish ditch
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 15:38   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
While I was cruising in Turkey, I was impressed with the beauty and construction of the gulets. Many of them were awesome. At the same time, I spent two weeks in the boatyard in Finike, Turkey, and I saw several gulets out of the water that had bad dry rot above and below the waterline. I saw several masts that had massive sections of dry rot as well.

I've seen bits of dry rot here and there on wooden yachts around the world, but what I saw in those gulets was off the scale.

Perhaps the gulets that I saw in the boatyard were there because they had serious problems that were being dealt with and did not represent the condition of the average gulet. Nevertheless, I would check every timber in the most inaccesible location before I invested my hard earned cash in a gulet.

It may be that 99% of the gulets are in excellent condition, but they would have to prove it to me with an extremely rigorous inspection.

Cheers,
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 01:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Yeap that rot thing is certianly one thing that has me thinking hard. Just seem to be masses of boat for the $$'s.

I doubt the windward performance would be flash, if there at all, but when you have 6 staterooms you have room for toys to keep you busy. The missus is not starting at the 40fter end of the scale, she found a nice one she really liked untill I pointed out 82ft is quite a step up from 32
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulet sailing