Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2011, 12:57   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Re: Truly Offshore-Capable Production Boat - Not Island-Hopping

MINE.....

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 16:22   #32

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
what about the 35?
The 3 I listed are the models I am most interested in, the 43 too but I am unlikely to ever get one so I didn't include it.

Among the other Cal boats I would expect the 35(1979 model) and the 35 Cruising (1973 model) to be acceptable Water boats">blue water boats. The 35 cruising is one of the few Cal boats that would be reasonable to take into areas of ice given its full keel. On the other hand the big windows of the pilot house and the narrow sidedecks would cause concern.

I would consider all of the Lapworth Cals from 28 to 48 acceptable bluewater boats accepting that some like the 34.3(single lowers) have minor issues I would want corrected before going, or issues I would not want to live with like narrow side decks and big windows(Cruising 35 and Cruising 36) but which other people might not find objectionable. The basic hull and rig are strong enough and big enough for offshore service without major modification. Some of the 27 models (4 total) would probably be fine offshore though a bit small for my tastes.

Were you asking about one of the Cal 35's in particular, or curious why I didn't include more of the Cals in general?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 16:26   #33

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

Were you asking about one of the Cal 35's in particular, or curious why I didn't include more of the Cals in general?
No I was just fishing for compliments. I might be (am) buying an 1983 Cal 35. It really is just a fairly middle of the road cruising boat. It is not a CAL cruising or an MKII. How do you know so much about CALs? Can you PM me and tell me a little bit more about the 35?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 17:52   #34

Boat: '76 Tanzer 26 #159, 8 HP Yanmar Diesel, Tiller with ST1000

Good point, but length of the boat does not always translate to a particular head room dimension. The head room dimensions of the two 32 footers on my list are:
Bristol 32 - 6'1"
Endeavour 32 -6'3"

others
Morgan 30 - 6'2"
Hunter Cherubini 33 - 6'4"

The O'Day 322 is listed as 6'0", but if I walk just forward of the dinette (3-4' short of the v-berth, it drops down to 5'10".

My Tanzer 26 is listed as 5'10" and its just over 6' in campanion way hatch. I am 6' and the headroom in my boat does not bother me too much since I can stand in the companion way or more often then not, I am on my way to the head or v-berth or to the settee to sit down. Standing in the head is not recommended for anyone for reasons other than head room; no target practice on-board the Alradee-Chi.

Regards,
T26Rich
T26Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 20:17   #35

Boat: in between boats

I find it interesting that the cal, hunter, endeavor and morgan get a mention but catalina doesn't. My money is going into a catalina 36. New rigging and dependable engine. Some minor improvements like lee cloths, latching lee boards etc. Before you believe any of the trashing of the catalina line, maybe you should do your own research. For the money, dependability, active owner groups for networking and advice and afterall, they are still in production and Frank Butler and Gerry Douglas can be contacted.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 20:48   #36

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb
I find it interesting that the cal, hunter, endeavor and morgan get a mention but catalina doesn't. My money is going into a catalina 36. New rigging and dependable engine. Some minor improvements like lee cloths, latching lee boards etc. Before you believe any of the trashing of the catalina line, maybe you should do your own research. For the money, dependability, active owner groups for networking and advice and afterall, they are still in production and Frank Butler and Gerry Douglas can be contacted.
Yes I like Catalinas more than hunter and Beneteau. And I believe some models have encapsulated keel and a partial skeg. Can anyone name what are those models?
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 21:50   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Well, you just mentioned Catalina. No great reason they couldn't go offshore. Someone even took a Cat27 round the world.

It's been a while since I looked thru the first half of this thead but I don't recall anyone trashing Catalina, or Hunter or Beneteau for that matter. Other threads maybe but not this one.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 06:18   #38

Boat: Hinckely, H-49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattplowman View Post
I am after some short sharp answers to the following question:

If you were on a production boat in the middle of the Atlantic (or any other ocean) and you had a large multi-day storm approaching which production boat would you want you and your loved ones to be on? budget 300-400NZD
If I calculated correctly that comes out to $250,000-334,000 USD. You can get a really nice pre-owned Shannon 38 for under $125,000 that will take you around the world safely. If you get a chance read Beth Leonard's "Following Seas". A pre-owned Shannon 43 will cost $300K+ and if you're a little handy and don't mind a boat that might need a little tlc a Shannon 50 can be found within that budget too.

I like a ketch rigged cutter because you get a lot of choices in sail plan. Walter Schultz, president and founder of Shannon Yachts is very approachable for owners of both Shannon's and non-Shannon's alike. That's priceless!

Of course there are a lot of other great boats out there too..... I'm a big proponet in buying preowned and let the other guy eat the depreciation. You usually get a bunch of free "extras" when you purchase a used boat too!
Il Pescatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 11:43   #39

Boat: in between boats

Point well taken Adelie. You are right, I have seen no Catalina trashing in this thread.

On the subject of "blue water" boats, let's look at a couple of points.

1. Tankage. Is it a good sailing boat? Large tanks half full invite injector blowing contamination. Better to have a couple small tanks, or jerry cans, than one large tank. When becalmed, it is good to have water to drink, no matter how much fuel you carry on a boat less than 45', you will be using your diesel as little as possible and will have to raise sail to keep from running out at some point. As for water tankage, water too can get tainted and become non-potable. Thus again, many if not several water storage tanks or bottles is better than one large tank.

2. Foul weather or storm worthiness. Is it not true that the worst seas and winds occur in coatal areas?

3. Large cockpits. Better for crew, more cofortable and more living space at anchor. See next paragraph. Just insure sufficient drainage. Open transoms have eliminated the swamped cockpit problem.

In my boat quest that I have narrowed, see previous posting, 30 days of drinking and cooking water for two-four people, plus water maker. Good sailing characteristics rather than diesel capacity. Translate to good light wind ability.

Creature comfort and female friendly also rank high because no matter how much you cruiese, you spend over 80% of your time at port or on anchor, most of us more like 95%. I do like sailing with the bros, but anchoring with the babe is better. Beamy-ness and interior volume can be compenstated while under way, but cramped and narrow can not be compensated for while at anchor.

Most of us have dreams of blue water and crossing big oceans, myself included. In reality, we will be lucky to be able to do alot of coastal cruising.
Just the many thoughts that have raced through my feeble mind whilst trying to shed myself of the drudgery of the rat race for the adventure of the sailing life and the drudgery of keeping my plastic boat afloat while persuing that life of adventure.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 21:51   #40

Boat: 1990 Jeanneau Voage 12.5 mtr (currently for sale)

The brand of boat is of little importance if it is in good shape and can be made water tight. I would only suggest reef early and in extremes rig a sea anchor.
Dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 01:23   #41

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

It appears to be an accepted fact that the boat is generally more capable than the crew-for a number of reasons.

The crew however, must, as others have said, sail the boat correctly.

Fatigue, injury, sea sickness can all affect this ability.

A couple of years ago the same model boat that I have was abandoned off the East Coast of America.

The delivery skipper could not get the engine to go,was not prepared to get into changing filters and bleeding the system-even though it incorparates an electric pump-or hoist a scrap of jib and head downwind.

He called up the CG and he and his assistant were helicoptered to safety.

There was a video of the rescue and TBH the conditions did not look too severe to me.

Heave to, run off downwind, get the donk going. IMHO thats a skippers job, making the decisions and carrying them out.

I would suggest, as others have, getting sea miles under your belt.

A good boat is an asset-experience is beyond price
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 02:12   #42

Boat: 1990 Jeanneau Voage 12.5 mtr (currently for sale)

Thanks for your Post.
Seems a shame to abandon a seaworthy vessel. Did this one survive the storm and drift ashore or until discovered by someone? How are you aware of the nature of the initial problem? Was it included in the CG documentation? Was rescue accomplished off the east coast of North, Central or South America. It really does not matter, but I am curious.
Was the delivery Skipper named in the CG report? If ever I need to have a boat delivered, I would like to avoid him.
Dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 02:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0 View Post
Thanks for your Post.
Seems a shame to abandon a seaworthy vessel. Did this one survive the storm and drift ashore or until discovered by someone? How are you aware of the nature of the initial problem? Was it included in the CG documentation? Was rescue accomplished off the east coast of North, Central or South America. It really does not matter, but I am curious.
Was the delivery Skipper named in the CG report? If ever I need to have a boat delivered, I would like to avoid him.
The incident was fully covered in the iphomeport forum.

The Delivery Skipper was delivering an Island Packet SP Cruiser, the motorsailer.

The engine failed and the skipper maintained it was not possible in the conditions to change filters or investigate.

He had no sail set, apparently made no attempt to modify the self tacking jib to heave to but decided to abandon ship via the CG helicopter.

Like you, I would not want him in charge of my boat.

I have no idea what happened to the vessel.

I was tempted to go and look for it myself....................
Old 24-03-2017, 03:36   #44

Boat: Valiant 40

This thread is 7 years old.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 17:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
This thread is 7 years old.

So I see.

Resurected by DanO after 6 years......................

Hey Ho!