Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 17:36   #61

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer
Re: The Perfect Dinghy

I think I've decided on a Humble Bee Pram. Looks like it's be fun to build. Here are some pictures and a link.
09-09-05 008 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Now wouldn't you like one of these?
A new Humblebee
I was going to insert a picture but I guess I don't know how.
Look in my profile gallery. There's only one picture so it won't be hard to figure out which one it is.
Old 29-05-2012, 18:15   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This is not for everyone but you might look at it. Port Townsend Watercraft?s Nesting Dinghies

The other thing to consider is that you may want it big enough to carry enough engine to keep your boat out of trouble should you need to tow it.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 00:38   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

In that line I'd be tempted to favour the Auklet or the Auk if more than two persons need to be carried.

The advantages of these over the HumbleBee include lower weight (22kg and 27kg), plumb stern and stem (If you have to store in a dinghy rack you'll appreciate this.) and they look like they're just about perfect for a 2.2hp outboard. They also look to carry their maximum buoyancy well forward.

The 6'8" yellow dinghy in the pic lists at 26 kg (was only 20 odd when I brought it and the maximum buoyancy is a little further aft than I'd really like.) and the white aluminium probably about 5-10 kg more. I can bring the small pram aboard through the lifelines by myself, but need to use the halyard with the 9' alloy.

When building I'd suggest soft rope fendering (commercial products that I have used have left me less than ecstatic) and a protective aluminium strip (or even a small wheel) on the aft part of the keel for the numerous times it gets dragged across sand, cement and rough wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dingies.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	41634  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 05:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Them's ain't oars....Them's me sisters!!!
Okay now, that there's funny, I don't care who ya are.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:45   #65

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

That is a beauty. The last dinghy I bought was $250. It was fiberglass and is an 11 foot nesting dinghy called the Nest Egg. I don't think you can build one for near that good a price so I'm inclined to advise you look into buying a used dinghy.
But, that's just me.
kind regards,
Old 30-05-2012, 20:06   #66

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

SkiprJohn ... I'll probably do that at first ... or maybe not. I have the perfect site where I'm building my sailboat. Half the fun is in the building. The Humble Bee just plain looks like a fun project to build. I may not use plywood planking but small, square, edge glued strips.
Years ago I watch a boatbuilder back east build a 20 footer from looking at a model boat a client brought him. He made the hull from 1 inch edge glued, ash. Now that was a boat builder.
Old 30-05-2012, 20:38   #67

Boat: Sceptre 41

Here is another option to look at. I have the plans and am planning on building it in September. I will use a different sail plan. Either a laser or a Sunfish rig. Wave Dancer Yacht Design - wholesale plan sales I like the idea of a bigger boat and have plenty of room on my foredeck. This will take up near the same amount of room as a Humblbee. I worked with the designer on this the boat is designed to row, sail and plane with an outboard. IT is supposed to be able to carry four people and supplies. It is perfect for me.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 21:38   #68

Boat: Celestial 48

Of course, no such thing as a perfect dingy. If lucky, you can find the best choice for your needs (and call it perfect).

If one is on a tight budget, might consider a Sportyak. I had one years ago (I had a KL Industries one, BIC also makes some by same name). Not pretty, rotomolded, did not sail or motor it, but it was very stable and basically unsinkable. Rowed fairly well (much better than my inflatable). Brand new with oars is $400 today's prices. Was very easy to handle on and off the boat (advantage of rotomold is that is it sort of bounces off of things - not like an inflatable but much more friendly to surfaces than other hard dinghys). By the way, several people have rowed these down the Grand Canyon, so can handle some serious chop!
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 22:47   #69

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Various plastic fantastics here in Oz as well from this

Piranha Boats

To this

3.00 Tuff Tender | Polycraft which was a contender for me at one stage

to this

Cuddy Cabin | Polycraft

Unfortunately they all suffer the same disease.
Excessive weight for WLL
Old 31-05-2012, 00:06   #70
CFR

my 0.2 cent. since 2 years i have a two part glassfiber dinghy made in germany. total lenght 2.8 m, stored 1.5 m. total weight was an issue because my wife hates heavy dinghy especially while carrying at the beach. So it was light built with total weight of 29 kg which can be handle easily. Sail with 5 sqm, oars 2.4 m. classic design with a sharp bow. looks nice, rowas and sails nice evenwith 2 adults plus 3 LPG bottles. total invest approx 2000 usd incl teak trim, daggerboard, aluminium rig and sail.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Summer View Post
SkiprJohn ... I'll probably do that at first ... or maybe not. I have the perfect site where I'm building my sailboat. Half the fun is in the building. The Humble Bee just plain looks like a fun project to build. I may not use plywood planking but small, square, edge glued strips.
Years ago I watch a boatbuilder back east build a 20 footer from looking at a model boat a client brought him. He made the hull from 1 inch edge glued, ash. Now that was a boat builder.
Wow.... edge glued ash? Now that was a heavy , rot prone boat! Try edge glued cedar, very light, rot resistant and very rigid. They use to build big boats that way up here. Each strip was glued and copper nailed to the previous one. a lost art I imagine...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:17   #72

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Chameleon designed. by Danny Greene. Nests into a small footprint on deck. Wonderful design.
I second this. It's a great little boat and one of the best "nesting" designs out there.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:22   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ash lasts looong time before rotting...many old tallships were ash over oak. good stuff.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:25   #74

I thought ash was only used in frames like Oak? I guess there are diferent ash's. It is heavy. Listed for Steam bending, deck frames and stringers here: http://www.worldwideflood.com/ark/wo...ine_timber.htm

I suppose they used whatever there was a lot of locally though!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:25   #75

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
The Port Towsend 11 weighs 85 lbs and assembles in 15 seconds in the water!
Kit only, not cheap.
www.ptwatercraft.com

It's worth a good look. Very nice boat.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy