Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 04:12   #16

Re: Puzzled...

Certainly a beautiful Classic (to look at) BUT: From a Surveyors point of view here goes:

1) Would need a full out of water survey or have had one very recently, by a qualified WOOD savvy surveyor.
2) It's not only the wood used in her build, but more importantly her fastenings such as Bronze screws or what? as this makes a huge huge difference
3) If i was surveying her i would want some screws removed at various points around and especially below the water.
4) If the owners are not willing to do the Survey walk away (Quickly)
5) Pricing in Europe (especially Greece) is way down and not getting any better.
6) I recently concluded a purchase for an 80ft GRP long distance motor yacht (older style beautiful and well kept/maintained) asking $525 k accepted $220 k Cash deal, shes back in the Philippines now and no issues to speak of, she was in Croatia.
7) Being high sided will not be an issue at all ,as she will have an easier motion in a sea way due to this slightly higher center of balance and "Roll Moment of Inertia"

Cheers Steve(MIIMS-Lloyd's Maritime)
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:40   #17

I think most classical yachts are not that comfy to live in, let's say, semi-permenantly... I have a feeling this one has a right compromise between classical esthetics and live aboard functionality. Which is only an impression, of course!
Will check her out in real life, as suggested...
eugene presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Certainly a beautiful Classic (to look at) BUT: From a Surveyors point of view here goes:

1) Would need a full out of water survey or have had one very recently, by a qualified WOOD savvy surveyor.
2) It's not only the wood used in her build, but more importantly her fastenings such as Bronze screws or what? as this makes a huge huge difference
3) If i was surveying her i would want some screws removed at various points around and especially below the water.
4) If the owners are not willing to do the Survey walk away (Quickly)
5) Pricing in Europe (especially Greece) is way down and not getting any better.
6) I recently concluded a purchase for an 80ft GRP long distance motor yacht (older style beautiful and well kept/maintained) asking $525 k accepted $220 k Cash deal, shes back in the Philippines now and no issues to speak of, she was in Croatia.
7) Being high sided will not be an issue at all ,as she will have an easier motion in a sea way due to this slightly higher center of balance and "Roll Moment of Inertia"

Cheers Steve(MIIMS-Lloyd's Maritime)

THANKS STEVE!!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:47   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

beautiful boat.
survey mandatory.
i really donot see where this boat is in such bad shape. it is awesome.
if it floats and bilge pumpos not constantly or frequently cycling, and if f survey shows decent , then if you have money for a 70 ft YACHT, then buy her. if you ar enot satisfied with anything, walk. easy peasy.
remember annual haulouts--cannot squeeze 3 yrs out of each bottom job. teredos eat fast.
baby blake..the ultimate manual marine head. my eyes are turning soo green....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22   #20

Boat: Riva 48

My view is that the market for classical boats is very limited. Very few people are willing to put up with cramped, dark, high maintenance boats. It may appeal to older folks who are nostalgic but such people would most likely already have a classic. Just face it people, the benefits of a newer boat (mono or cat, cat especially) are hard to ignore. It is the same as the market for classical cars. Nice but no thanks.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
My view is that the market for classical boats is very limited. Very few people are willing to put up with cramped, dark, high maintenance boats. It may appeal to older folks who are nostalgic but such people would most likely already have a classic. Just face it people, the benefits of a newer boat (mono or cat, cat especially) are hard to ignore. It is the same as the market for classical cars. Nice but no thanks.
I appreciate your comment, truly. I'm tempted to reflect a bit differently, as I believe these kinds of boats will hold there value better, from now on. Or not, I have no 'back to the future' car, so cannot predict of course.
In the end, these kind of designs are considered classics for a reason, no? I mean, in 10 or 20 years, they will still be a classic. Any new build from now, the more modern, the more they will look outdated in those same 20 years fast forward.

Basically I hope depreciation has fallen to its lowest point and that, if there's a follow-up in maintenance, these boats will hold their value better.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
beautiful boat.
survey mandatory.
i really donot see where this boat is in such bad shape. it is awesome.
if it floats and bilge pumpos not constantly or frequently cycling, and if f survey shows decent , then if you have money for a 70 ft YACHT, then buy her. if you ar enot satisfied with anything, walk. easy peasy.
remember annual haulouts--cannot squeeze 3 yrs out of each bottom job. teredos eat fast.
baby blake..the ultimate manual marine head. my eyes are turning soo green....
So thankful for your insights, really. If interested, I'll keep you posted about her, planning to pay a visit soon!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39   #23

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

The videographer could have brought some lamps in order to light up the interior during filming. I'd guess the boat is not all that dark in reality...!

If it really is that dark .. then a few big rolls of LED strips could take care of that.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:47   #24
cruiser

Eugene,

When I first went looking for a 40-45ft boat 10 years ago, it was the Hans Christian and Baba 35-40 footers that I went looking for until a good broker straightened me out. He said "do you want to vacation and enjoy a boat, or do you want to spend all your free time working on a boat?" I then began looking at Catalinas and Hunters with absolutely no woodwork to maintain. Even our Oyster has virtually no exterior surfaces to maintain other than when I refurbished the deck three years ago. Since then.... I only wash the boat four times per season.

It's your choice how you wanna spend your time and money, but we have better things to do than refinish woodwork and tend to the needs of an old boat. You think the present owner's having trouble selling it today? Just wait until ten years from now when it'll be nearly impossible to unload a dark, dated, wooden ketch. You'd be much better off purchasing a smaller used Bavaria, and spend your time enjoying the boat instead of dealing with endless financial/maintenance headaches.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
The videographer could have brought some lamps in order to light up the interior during filming. I'd guess the boat is not all that dark in reality...!

If it really is that dark .. then a few big rolls of LED strips could take care of that.
She's covered up under an immense spray cover, protecting her from UV. That's an explanation, no?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just wait until ten years from now when it'll be nearly impossible to unload a dark, dated, wooden ketch.
Interesting quote, thanks Kenomac! Mmm, better run from it then... But damned, she's so easy on the eyes! A bit less on the wallet, I guess.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:02   #27

Cheers Steve(MIIMS-Lloyd's Maritime)[/QUOTE]

I found out a bit more : she's carvel planked with 50mm Iroko on laminated 100mm Iroko frames every 300mm. Fastenings : copper rivets, all other bolts stainless steel. Decks are 20mm marine ply with 20mm teak planking.

Rest of the boat (also down below) : Brazilian mahogany.

Water & diesel tanks are aluminium, mast supports galvanised steel.

Keel ballast is 8 tons of cast iron. All chain plates & fixtures on deck are either stainless steel or bronze.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:39   #28

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4378.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	155778
Old 10-09-2017, 04:21   #29

Boat: Valiant 40

It looks well maintained, but pictures always make a look boat better than it is, sometimes dramatically.

Having grown up on and worked on wooden boats I'm not immune to their charms. There is a feel, a smell, and certain sounds that make them unique and highly seductive. And as far as maintenance goes, if you stay on top of it it's no more than on a plastic boat, minus brightwork, which leads me to...

I look at that boat and one word pops instantly to mind. Varnish. I hate varnishing. And that boat would be like owning a bridge; as soon as you'd finished varnish maintenance it would be time to start again at the other end of the boat. And if you did not keep the varnish in good repair you'd have a snowball of a nightmare on your hands.

It is an ungainly looking boat with all the freeboard. Not my cup of tea. A whale stripe would certainly moderate her lines visually.

In short, that boat is about as practical as...as....well it's just not practical at all. Just ask yourself, do you ever say to yourself on a sunny beautiful day with the wind blowing 13 knots "Great! I can varnish today instead of going sailing!"
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 00:44   #30

Any comments on this guys?

She's carvel-planked with 50mm Iroko on laminated 100mm Iroko frames every 300mm. Fastenings : copper rivets, all other bolts stainless steel. Decks are 20mm marine ply with 20mm teak planking.

Rest of the boat (also down below) : Brazilian mahogany.

Water & diesel tanks are aluminium, mast supports galvanised steel.

Keel ballast is 8 tons of cast iron. All chain plates & fixtures on deck are either stainless steel or bronze.