Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01   #1

Boat: In between boats
Pearson 300 - Any Owners ? Experience ?

Hi Everyone!

I recently acquired a 1969 Pearson 300. She's a good ship that just needs a little TLC. Only a few of them were made (100?) and I'm having a difficult time getting diagrams/drawings/ systems information. As an example, I mine has two fresh water tanks, but I cannot find a holding tank

I'm bringing the engine back to life by replacing the starter and alternator. They took some water, and better safe than sorry. The one thing I really want to do is update and simplify the wiring. I have little to no electrical experience, beyond self-taught trial and error. I have the DC basics (Hot, Cold, Ground) But, I think the original wiring is run through too many buses and is run too long/indirect. Any ideas?

Beyond that, I would appreciate any general ideas/suggestions. I am aiming to get her ready and sailing by the end of the month so I can register for the Around Long Island Race.

Thanks Everyone!
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:16   #2

Re: Pearson 300, Any Owners? Experience?

I guess it's that rare of a boat...
Old 03-03-2012, 05:18   #3

Boat: Pearson 1971 30'
Send a message via Yahoo to Sea Horse

Good Morning from a P-30 1971 owner. A good book to own is Boat-owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual from Nigel Calder it cover every thing. I'm located up the Hudson at Kingston, NY rebuild a P-30 (#19) at the marina and have a P-26 at the shop in Harpersfield to start rehab once P-30 is done. Good luck on your boat and i do have the wiring lay out for both of my boats is that would help i could send you a copy. On the P-30 i installed a new breaker panel system and wired to code to bring the boat up to date.

Dusty
Sea Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35   #4

Morning Dusty!

Thanks for the tip about the book. I'll check to see where I can pick it up for a good price. I also just replaced panels. DC isn't that difficult as long as I work slowly. Do you think the p30 wiring diagrams would be similar to a p300?

Did you also find some of the wiring connections on your Pearson's to be unnecessary? For example, My main bilge pump was wired to the panel, then a switch before reaching The pump. By connecting it straight to the battery, I probably cut out 10feet of wiring.

Best of luck on both your boats. The Pearson 30 is a really nice ship and I've read a very good sailing vessel.

Cheers & Happy Sailing!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10   #5

Boat: Pearson 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
As an example, I mine has two fresh water tanks, but I cannot find a holding tank
Unless Some one added on I'm sure it was never there from the start. Just look at the hoses coming out of the head (one will be water in and will lead to a seacock), one will be waste out. If there is a "Y" valve you can see where each parts of the "Y" goes (one to a direct discharge seacock and one to a holding tank). But probably, it is set up for direct discharge with out a "Y" valve and holding tank. Be sure to check that there are vented loops in the system.
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:24   #6

The second water tank was added by the original owner. I found the overboard discharge for the head, but not a y-valve. I'll check again. I am concerned that there may not be a holding tank, in which case the head will be unusable till one is installed. I'll post some pics later today.

Thanks Triton!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:20   #7

Boat: Pearson 1971 30'
Send a message via Yahoo to Sea Horse

This is me saying this, I like to know that the pump is working when i leave. I know that you have save on wire, but can you test your pump or are you hoping that it work. Hooking it straight to the battery (fused?) did the fuse blow? or is there something stuck in the pump and it has lock the rotor? they are couple question i would address. I guess if you live full time on the boat and you get up and your feet get wet or your battery is dead you would know. A problem i have found on allot of boats are the wire sizing that marina and DIY boater did not count on DC voltage drop. There a guy on here called (GordMay) chat with him. He a book of knowledge on ABYC regs.
So back to the beginning i alway install a pump contol/test switch it cost more now but my system is protected.

Dusty
Sea Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:05   #8

Re: Pearson 300 - Any Owners ? Experience ?

Just Though I'd show off some pics of the Pearson 300. So far, here is the exterior, interior looking forward, and looking aft, respectively. Not bad for a 1969. What does everyone think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-28 13.38.19.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	38354   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-03 17.20.34.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	38355  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-03 17.20.56.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	38356  
Old 24-03-2012, 07:52   #9

I'm wondering how she handles? Found one here in Delaware on the hard. She hasn't seen water in ten years. Have you taken yours out yet?
Jpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:04   #10

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

She looks pretty good from what I can see. More cleanup should go a long way. Hopefully the decks are solid, and the usual issues are few and far between. I'd like to see more photos, will have to dig around online. It's an interesting design that while unusual seems like it would offer a lot of practical advantages in a 30.

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeck View Post
I'm wondering how she handles? Found one here in Delaware on the hard. She hasn't seen water in ten years. Have you taken yours out yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSail View Post
She looks pretty good from what I can see. More cleanup should go a long way. Hopefully the decks are solid, and the usual issues are few and far between. I'd like to see more photos, will have to dig around online. It's an interesting design that while unusual seems like it would offer a lot of practical advantages in a 30.

Jonathan

Hi Jpeck & JonathanSail, I haven't taken her out yet. I just got her engine started. Over the weekend I went through about 40 gallons of fuel cleaning out the tank that was filled with watered diesel and bacterial growth. The engine now runs nice and smooth. I have learned quite a few thing the Pearson 300 over the last two months and I am more than happy to share what I know here and on my blog (found through my signature).

There haven't been many built, possible 100-150, and the information on these ships is scarce to say the least. It seems that Pearson wanted make a boat that soul transition power boaters into sailors and/or vice versa. She shares her hull design with the Pearson Vanguard, but lacks the centerboard and has a slightly shorter rig. I am anticipating her as being a somewhat tender boat, but I never minded putting a boom in the water. One could stiffen her up by adding some weight to the bilge. I an using two group 31 batteries mid-ship and below the water. Overall, she has been very stable at the docks even in 25mph winds and chopping seas. I never lost my footing or had any trouble working on her in these conditions.

Jpeck, if you are looking to buy one that has been on the hard for a while, I would pay careful attention to the engine and wiring system. I would take a battery with you to hook up and test the lights, instruments and connections. Also, the engine will need special attention. Myne was filled to the brim with oil to prevent corrosion. Take a wrench to the crankshaft and see if the engine spins. You should be able to hand turn it counter-clockwise. Check the deck coach roof for any soft spots. The hull is solid-thick fiberglass, so you should be okay. A survey is probably the best way to go if you have the extra cash, just try to negotiate for a low flat fee and the boat really isn't worth much on the market. Depending on engine, electrical, hot water system, expect to spend between 2-5K (doing the work yourself) to get her ready to sail.

Here are a few websites that may prove helpful if you decide to pursue the boat.

1. Sailing with Soul

2. Pearson 300

3. PEARSON 300 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I'll update this community and my blog with any new info and experiences I have with my Pearson 300 (Sailor's Soul)

Cheers & Happy Sailing!!!
Old 23-01-2015, 06:58   #12

I just got the same boat 1969 Pearson 300 mine was sitting in saint Augustine fl its currently ankered in The water sadly gutted out picked her up cheep.....no engine only interior is the front bed so many I could get some information about your boat maby I can use some insight on mine. My plans as of know is buy wood treat it and stane it and build the inside how I want I know slow about cars so as far as wireing and maby Putin a inbored engine as they are similes to cars just fue diffrenses
s.a.t.titus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson