Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 16:42   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I did the bottom while waiting for the new Westerbeke to come in. The lead time was about 6 weeks. My boat did have blisters, the surveyor said that they were not all that bad but he recommend that I do it in a few years. I chose to have the bottom sandblasted, it takes the blisters out and I ground from there. It was a big job it took weeks. Some have said that I pushed this project to fast and maybe I did but the results have been great. There was a Islander next to me that had it done and you can see that is was not done right at all. My work is fine so far.
Old 06-01-2006, 18:22   #17
Kai Nui

I stand corrected!
Old 06-01-2006, 18:45   #18

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Actually Kai Nui - good option. Sean posted a link to one on the " Center Cockpit Monohull ??? " thread. None showing on YachtWorld tonight, but the link still works. I think it is a better boat
(liners are not user friendly - I guess Sean already knows that)

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 18:51   #19
Kai Nui

Yea, Yeah. That's it. I meant to do that
Old 07-01-2006, 07:28   #20

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Lightfin - Be SURE to check out Gordy May's post & links in another thread on this forum:
Yacht Maintenance, thread is "Hull Strength After a Peel."

Excellent articles on blisters and various repair methods. Scared the bejeezus outta me ...
Old 09-01-2006, 18:11   #21

Boat: Ensenada 20
Markpj: Thanks for thread info. I'll definitely look it up and read it.

How do you like having/managing, etc. a 50+' yacht???
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:28   #22

Too early to tell... just bought her But I trust the experience will be better than that of my Introductions post on this forum...

Have already noticed a negative pressure area in the vicinity of my wallet... soon to become a loud sucking sound as we take her through refit.

For us - we looked for 2+ years (off & on) and when it came down to picturing us living aboard for at least 6 months each year, we opted for more space in a heavier boat. You'll find many in disagreement with that on these forums, but it was our conscious decision to go this route. Just be aware that bigger ALWAYS means more expensive... starting with survey and continuing on for as long as you own the boat.

I think if you've seriously considered the trade-offs and can make a reasonably informed decision, you'll do OK. Look at as many different boats as you can - and ask anyone who can tell you about the boats. Really helps - plus it drives the brokers bonkers
Old 10-01-2006, 09:40   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I know that "sucking sound" very well. But to me it is worth it.
Old 10-01-2006, 14:57   #24

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Mark

Welcome to the "club".
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 16:26   #25

Cheer up, Mark ! At least when you get hit with a big bill, you can just turn to your more knowledgeable sailor wife and give her "the look". You know - the look we all get from the Admiral from time to time - the one that suggests we just cooked the family nest egg.

What you should enjoy about this board is, while the opinions might seem blunt from time to time, input is not personal and folks in this forum want you to succeed. After all the discussion on strengths and weaknesses of different boats, if you look at who owns what, this group owns all of 'em - every type, every size, and that's what makes this an interesting place. We have many points of view from first hand experience and the focus is on boats. Everyone here that used this forum to help them decide what to buy made a purchase that went against some advice. That's boats.

While my posts on the Gulfstar 50 had some real negatives, if I discovered a deceased uncle had left me a G50 needing work, I'd be sailing her this Spring.

Reading your posts as you take on this adventure will be fun and beneficial to all that participate.

Larry

Old 10-01-2006, 17:41   #26
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
No kidding? I stand corrected. I had no idea anyone did that as a preventative measure.
He-he, nevr heard of anybody doing a blister or peel job as a preventive measure.
Old 10-01-2006, 17:44   #27

Boat: Ensenada 20
Unhappy Boat Insurance in Florida

Flew down to Florida this past weekend and spent several hours going all over the Gulfstar 50. This is one of the few times something turned out to be better than "advertised."

We're very tempted to go ahead and make a firm offer, but a new challenge has raised its "ugly head." That is, getting a boat insured in Florida, especially a boat with an absentee owner.

I've only talked to one insurance broker so far, but he was not encouraging. Apparently losses from recent storms were HUGE, and included a very high percentage of older boats and absentee owner boats. Insurers want the owner to live within a 4 hour drive; or pay someone who is qualified and legally responsible for preparing the boat in the event of a storm.

Apparently Morehead, North Carolina is the magic line. If your boat is north of there, you can get insurance. If your south of there and don't already have insurance, good luck!!

We're not giving up yet though. Any specific brokers and/or insurance companies any of you recommend?
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 18:03   #28

Great to hear the boat looks good. One forum member, Vasco, stores his boat in northern Florida east coast. He is in Bahamas now.
I would start with Boat US. They are easy to deal with and not too tough on application questons. You can do it over the phone. If insurance is your only issue, you are doing well.
Remember, too, you can make finance or insurance a condition along with survey, so you have time. Tie her up if you like her.

Larry

Old 10-01-2006, 18:16   #29

Boat: Sceptre 41
OK.. Here is the plan.

I may need a delivery crew next fall so we'll help you get your new boat north if you help get our new boat south

John
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:47   #30

Lightfin ran into the same issue we found.. BoatUS said no way, IMIS excludes hurricane damage between certain lattitudes and several brokers told us no one was writing policies for absentee-owners on the Gulf coasts anymore.

USAA came through for me but you must meet membership requirements. Their underwriter only required that we file a Hurricane Plan. Premium was more than IMIS/others but their no-exclusions coverage was right for us as we tie up shoreside loose ends and finish the refit.

I wish you luck in pulling all this together. I know of a surveyor in Ft Lauderdale that all the brokers hate.. send me a PM if you want his contact info.

Tags
gulfstar, ketch