Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2010, 06:18   #1

Nonsuch 36

Hi I'm new to the world of sailing and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the seaworthyness of the Nonsuch 36. I'm looking at selling my little Tartan and have the opportunity to buy a Nonsuch. I sail Lake Ontario but would eventually like to cross the Atlantic and try the Med. Would a big catboat be up to the challenge? Thanks in advance for any advice.
yellowbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:03   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Nonsuches are well built and seaworthy however I would not attempt crossing an ocean in one. I do not like the idea of the one big sail, even when reefed there's lots of sail and windage under that wishbone. I also don't like the thought of only one halyard. I think two Nonsuches have tried circumnavigations and none succeeded. The last guy to try it lost the halyard and drifted a month or so in the Southern Ocean before being rescued. The boat survived abandonment and ended up in South America, if my memory serves me right.
Old 26-05-2010, 07:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I looked into the Nonsuch 36 as well. My conclusion mirrors what Vasco said. They seem like great coastal boats, I would consider taking one to the Bahamas, but not days out in the ocean.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:52   #4

As a Nonsuch 36 owner, I concur that it's not an especially suitable craft for water sailing">blue water sailing. My experiences with a number of sailboats has led me to conclude that no boat is superior to the Nonsuch for coastal cruising, especially with a family and at reasonable total cost of ownership, but the Nonsuch's design would not safely serve in a sustained, serious open ocean storm.
Richard77 is offline   Reply With Quote