Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Newport 41 or Cal 39

Hello everybody. I need a hand here. I have owned a Cal 29 for a few years now and have fallen in love with the Cal name and design. I sailed down the pacific coast from LA to San Carlos and just had a blast. Now I am looking for a Cal 39 for me and my wife to cruise mexico, carib, and possibly the med. Im about to pull the trigger on a cal 39 here, but now these newport 41's are catching my eye. I particularly like the NP 71 tall rig for a few different reasons, but one is the rigging is to the outside more than the newer ones. if you were to choose between the two...everyrthing being equal, what would you choose
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Newport 41 or Cal 39

I would opt for the Newport 41 mkII if I could find one at a reasonable price. Must admit that it is a bit of an emotional issue with me. Have fond memories of seeing a Newport 41 called Anuenue, Hawaiian for rainbow, rapidly overtaking my 26 footer off of Honolulu with it's rainbow colored spinnaker backlit by the morning sun. Believe the MkII Newports have a better rudder and taller rig than the original which were an exact copy of the C&C 41 without the cored hull. Have seen quite a few of the MkI boats for sale at very cheap prices. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean a good deal but these boats are cheap enough to pour a ton of money into them to bring up to current standards with new sails and electronics. Like the interior layout of the Newports with, what is for me, an ideal galley layout.

Nothing against the Cal 39, just dollar for dollar think the Newport is a better boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Re: Newport 41 or Cal 39

yep there is currently a newport in Ca for 25000. Granted, I have not set eyes on it yet, but one could put a alot of money into it to make a really nice boat. Is the rudder on the newport, skeg hung like on the cal 39 or no?
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, newport