Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 10:01   #1

Need Help Picking Paint Colors

Hello All - I'm new to the forum (first post), and this is my first boat referb. I purchased a 1984 MacGregor 25 in pretty good shape but as with all boats it needs some TLC. I decided to tackle the bottom myself instead of paying someone to do it for me. I'm about 2 work hours away from sanding ALL of the paint off the bottom. You can follow the progress of the boat on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BYachtch/. I hope you will LIKE and FOLLOW the page and keep coming back and checking out my progress and commenting to help keep me going.

OK so here I am I have about 15 hours of sanding done and I have no clue what color to paint the boat. I have surfed the web looking at many 1000s of different boats and still can not decide. I found this cool web site that lets you pick colors and see them on a picture of a sailboat, and I made three color combos that I like, but yet I still can't decide.

I was hoping I could get a bunch of people here to make some color combos at this web site and submit them to me on my facebook page, and I would let my FB friends have the final say in color combos. Or you could submit pictures of your own boats with cool colors.

Here is the address of that cool site that lets you pick colors. Paint My Boat | Interlux

Go to this site and do the following
1. Pick the boat type in the upper left corner
2. Pick the area you want to color such as Antifouling in the lower left corner
3. Pick a paint type and it will give you different color options
4. Click on a color and it will paint the boat picture above.
5. Select a Stripe color
6. Select a TopSide color
7. Click the Specifications button on upper right to display your color and paint type
8. Save a screen shot of your color combo and specifications and post them here on this thread or on my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/BYachtch/).
9. Also tell me if you like any of the color combos I made and attached to this post.

Thanks everyone for helping me with the hardest part of the boat referb, picking the colors.

Cheers
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BronzeRedBlack.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	145992   Click image for larger version

Name:	GreenDkBlueWhite2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	145993  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LtBlueDkBlueWhite2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	145994  
pastryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Need Help Picking Paint Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryer View Post
I was hoping I could get a bunch of people here to make some color combos at this web site and submit them to me on my facebook page, and I would let my FB friends have the final say in color combos. Or you could submit pictures of your own boats with cool colours.
Paul
Paul, welcome to CF. I don't really do FB very often and asking folk to use another website and then upload the results to your FB page is a bit much. Why don't you do the leg work and post the results on here for comment by the members?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:56   #3

Thanks Pete. I did upload 3 color combos I created on that web site for people to comment on. I was just hoping to get more input and maybe some color combos I did not even consider or think of.

I have put so many hours in to sanding, I don't want my poor judgement in color choices to waste all that work I put into the boat sanding. I know what I like when I see it I just can't imagine it till I see it on a boat that is what so cool about the app I put the link in for it lets you see the colors on a boat (well boat picture).

Thanks
Paul
pastryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 15:02   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Went to Paint My Boat to check it out:

This content requires the latest version of Adobe Flash player to run.

No thanks!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 15:33   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Pastryer,

Welcome aboard CF.

Our boat is painted, we're second owners, and she was painted about 9 yrs. ago. We chose shades of white, so the topsides are a greyish white, the cabin, more of a snow white, and the non-skid, yet another white tone. We take her to hot places. Her bottom paint is black, and we have a burgundy boot stripe. We have learned that paint is fragile, needs frequent touchups.

If your boat was white to start with, and you paint over it with a dark color, every single little ding it gets will let the white show through. If it was white to start with, I'd keep the topsides white. For the bottom paint, pick whatever paint works in your area, usually your choices are blue, black, or reddish brown. We tend to use black, but it's really just which one appeals to you. If you own the boat a while, you can try different colors to see how you like them. If the boat lives on a trailer when not in use, maybe you don't need bottom paint at all.

If that is the case, maybe you just want to paint it from the waterline down a light color that will show marine fouling and be easy to clean. And, you might want to add a boot stripe, for elegance.

Ann

Ann
Old 21-04-2017, 19:12   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I would not paint my boat the colours my friends like. I would paint her the colours I and my partner like.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 19:29   #7

Boat: Colegate 26

Has anyone seen a patterned paint job on a hull that they like? Swoopy pasterns or even a mural of some sort?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 20:07   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Has anyone seen a patterned paint job on a hull that they like? Swoopy pasterns or even a mural of some sort?
I just uploaded a few into my CF Album. Hopefully they made the trip successfully, & are viewable as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 04:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Paul.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 05:37   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen patterned paint jobs on racing boats. Hugo, DCNS, Ericsson, etc. - very cool.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:13   #11

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

I am an architect on land but I prefer to sail. If your main issue is color selection I take my sailing cap off to you. How about sails, rigging, hull, comm's just to get started. Motor may be optional as you go for colors? I don't wish to be harsh, but really is this a paint chip question? Best wishes with CF. A.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:26   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

As Jim Brown (searunner tri designer) said: "Paint it any color you like as long as it is white"
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:27   #13

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Ok. Pardon me. I have guided too many paint jobs on land. I only mean nicely. Let's just match existing on the structural vessel and anything left in the life of any value fabric. Have fun with colors please. My best wishes with kindness. Cheers, A
Old 22-04-2017, 08:44   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I've chosen a white base color to help with keeping boat temps from getting out of hand and yellow trim so that the boat is easier to spot by boats that might hit me or SAR folks the might be coming to save my butt.

Red, orange, yellow are good colors for being seen.

White, blue, green, black not so much.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 15:17   #15

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

we found that white with white on white is much easier / we have used all different coloured anti-foul (usually whatever that's available at the right price) / however we changed to diy hard copper 4 years ago and she turned blue underneath and is slowly turning darker shades of green with a scrape down every now and then / hotter weather lighter colours / if you intend using your boat in the dark or in strong bright sunlight non gloss deck paint saves your eyes and skin from reflective glare
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint