Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 13:56   #16

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Rules of thumb are okay for getting you into the ballpark, but beyond that they don't tell you much.

On the other hand, if you see a motor as a necessary evil, to be used only when there is no alternative, then you can probably get by with a smaller motor.
I have to disagree with the rule of thumb that you give. I only use a motor when necessary (or when my wife tells me to!). So when I do need to use a motor it can be a fairly critical situation - that is when I want a few extra horses. Not the bare minimum for putting into and out of anchorages.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 14:55   #17

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
As my rule of thumb, the motor (and prop) needs to be big enough to motot off a lee shore in strong wind and a heavy sea. I mention the prop, because it is no good having heaps of power in the engine and an under-spec propellor. Our motor is big enough for the boat, but the current prop is too small - I am currently putting money away to upgrade the prop.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 16:09   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the size engine depends on the keel type and hull shape and the purpose of the boat. a sloop used mainly for racing and the engine gets it in and out of the harbor--wont neeed much--for a 35ft ericson mII they used a 20 hp engine...but then, that yanmar WILL get you into and out of bad stuff in that boat very easily. my formosa has a perkins 54 hp engine now--it was cruised to here from sf with a 37 hp westerfreke.....the westy actually did a decent job of pushing the boat--but the perkins will do some better---i prefer 54 hp over 37 with a 41 ft deep keel heavy displacement cruiser. i would prefer a bit more, but this will do fine.
the sloop i cruised for a near year in the gulf was a 37 with a 28hp or thereabouts yanmar--did fine in storms and with head winds--coulda been a bit goosier but was adequate...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote