Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2007, 05:49   #1

May buy Shannon 28, what to look for

Hi y'all

I'm down in the USVI and noticed that a
shannon 28 that caught my 6years ago is still here, and heard that the owner died 4 years agoand it's been on a mooring; having a heck of a time tracking down the family (the caretaker doesn't seem to want to call me back, but I hope to get a close look at it tomorrow). Regardless, I know something about Shannons, and lived in HI for 8 years, I know the tropics can eat a boat up. I've sailed for 31 years, so I know a few things about boats. Assuming that the hull construction is as good as I've heard, my concerns are: termite damgage, corroded rigging and electrical, deck leaks and de-lamination,issues with the bowsprit. Any heads up with these and any other issues would be appreciated. For now I'm not to worried about the engine, as I can sail on /off just about any dock, but any info on the aux power would be helpful. Unfortunately, the Shannon website does not give any info on the old 28s. AH, if only all boat websites were as good as Hallberg-Rassy's, where complete info is available on every model they built...I digress. Anyway, there's a chance I can get the boat VERY CHEAP, as I've heard the owner was asking $5000 before he died (sounds like a project boat huh?)
So, as I conduct my own survey of it, anything that I should make an extra effort to look for would be greatly appreiciated, as well as any live-aboard and cruising stories. My intention is to live-aboard as I'm starting a new job with Fish and Wildlife hereand will be working between STT and STX.

Thanx for any feedback
Jose
JMRmarinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 13:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I don’t have any “magic bullet” advice, that would be “news” to you (you seem to have a pretty good handle on the basic survey); so I’ll just offer a few general thoughts, that occur to me:

Although quite uncommon on floating boats, I have seen (& easily dealt with) a termite infestation aboard.

Termites (white ants) feed on wood. Wood, damaged by termites, generally shows evidence of galleries and tubes (which may be plugged at the visible surface).
Newly hatched termites have wings, which they shed. These discarded wings are often the first sign of an infestation.
Since a Shannon has no structural wood, termites would present only a cosmetic/aesthetic problem.

Whenever you inspect rigging wire, turnbuckles, and fittings, look for obvious problems, like rust and distortion and use the magnifying glass to find smaller cracks. Rust, especially rust that you can feel, and even slight distortions or cracks should be considered serious, and the component replaced. A plastic credit card, or your fingernail, will often ‘feel” a crack you cannot see. A a piece of toilet paper, run up & down a wire (wearing gloves) will quickly reveal broken wire strands, fishhooks & etc.

“Magnaflux” and other penetrant dyes can be a useful crack detector. Follow manufacturer’s instructions, and remember they generally stain gelcoat, so avoid drips.

Aluminum welds on the mast and boom should be inspected, especially where there may be a lot of stress. Look at the ends of the welds first, as aluminum welds fail from the ends of the weld inward. Welds that are not done correctly have sharp edges and crevices which encourage corrosion.

Above all - accept no "mysteries". Determine the cause & ultimate effect of any unexpect observations.

Good luck - you may have a winner ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 17:59   #3

Boat: Shannon 43
Buy it! If you don't, I will.

Depending on it's age, this boat in good condition is worth $40,000 to $50,000 and is a highly sought after boat. To be perfectly honest, I own a Shannon 43 and do Shannon's brokerage. I can tell you that you won't find a better 28' boat at any price. The hull is Airex cored and is built to withstand a nuclear blast. Having just installed a bow thruster in my own SHannon, I have a new respect for the construction quality of these boats. I'll gladly send you a brochure on the original SHannon 28 and will answer any of your questions. Based on what you wrote about the boat sitting on a mooring for quite some time, you may have some teak to replace, but the hull should be solid.

Good luck!
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 16:39   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRmarinero
Hi y'all

I'm down in the USVI and noticed that a
shannon 28 that caught my 6years ago is still here, and heard that the owner died 4 years agoand it's been on a mooring; having a heck of a time tracking down the family (the caretaker doesn't seem to want to call me back, but I hope to get a close look at it tomorrow). Regardless, I know something about Shannons, and lived in HI for 8 years, I know the tropics can eat a boat up. I've sailed for 31 years, so I know a few things about boats. Assuming that the hull construction is as good as I've heard, my concerns are: termite damgage, corroded rigging and electrical, deck leaks and de-lamination,issues with the bowsprit. Any heads up with these and any other issues would be appreciated. For now I'm not to worried about the engine, as I can sail on /off just about any dock, but any info on the aux power would be helpful. Unfortunately, the Shannon website does not give any info on the old 28s. AH, if only all boat websites were as good as Hallberg-Rassy's, where complete info is available on every model they built...I digress. Anyway, there's a chance I can get the boat VERY CHEAP, as I've heard the owner was asking $5000 before he died (sounds like a project boat huh?)
So, as I conduct my own survey of it, anything that I should make an extra effort to look for would be greatly appreiciated, as well as any live-aboard and cruising stories. My intention is to live-aboard as I'm starting a new job with Fish and Wildlife hereand will be working between STT and STX.

Thanx for any feedback
Jose
Yo Jose,

welcome to the forum.

although these are well-made, and as you only intend to live aboard, perhaps you will not mind putting up with one of this boat's worst faults. A friend who owned one tells me it takes a gale of wind to make it go. He couldn't sell his fast enough.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 17:36   #5

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
Shannon is a quality boat builder. If the hull is sound and decks are not delaminated, the vessel is worthy of restoration, especially if you can do the work.

Don't be misled about heresay on sailing attributes or deficiencies. Many boats where the owners say they can't sail usually means THEY don't know how to sail them. I know since I own a Westsail and it sails extremely well. That is not what you would hear from many detractors.

Good luck on the Shannon.

heron
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 19:39   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron

Don't be misled about heresay on sailing attributes or deficiencies. Many boats where the owners say they can't sail usually means THEY don't know how to sail them.

heron
Yo Heron,

thank you for your comments regarding my post. You are uninformed about this boat, as well as the professional captain who owned it. Shame on you.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 20:03   #7

Boat: currently "on the beach"
We looked hard at the 28 when we bought our Bristol 31.1 They are a blue water boat when in proper condition. They are full keel so, true, they are not as fast as more modern designs, but they will get you to more places than most modern designs. We decided not to buy for a few reasons.
1) she needed major upgrades and we believed the cost to restore would exceed the value when done 2) they are heavily stayed and there is not much room on deck so going forward in rough weather is restricted 3) they are tiny below with the v berth and small head, minimal galley.
Bottom line - beautiful and offshore capable but not really comfortable for a live aboard couple. We went with a coastal cruiser in excellent condition with double the volume and good sailing characteristics for about the same money.

I would agree with Kirby. These boats were built like furniture by a talented guy with a fierce commitment to quality. They deserve restoration and preservation. At 5K it may well make sense because that is a close to free as it gets. Do some math and see what it might cost - then double it !

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:53   #8

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
Hey Andy,

Sorry you took my post "personally". You can't judge a boat by a single person's opinion. If you did, you would never own any boat as there is always someone who will attest good or bad things about any vessel.

In this particular case, buying a Shannon 28 for $5K, even if it can only do 5 knots is a good deal. Why, because if you look for other S-28s, they are selling for 50K and higher.

If one can purchase it for $5k and put $15K in renovations, they have a strong (and maybe slow) vessel that they can safely enjoy and cruise on for very little money. At the end of their journey, they could even more than double their money when they want another boat. For these reasons, the Shannon is a good deal.

Lastly, most boats can be rigged to do better by purchasing better, more efficient sails. My vessel does not do well in light air either, but when I hoist my code 0 with winds under 8 knots, she moves along at a steady 4 knots. If I just relied on my heavy main and Yankee, I wouldn't go anywhere.

HERON
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 12:22   #9

Boat: Shannon 37 cutter
Having owned Shannon 28 hull 18 "Macushla" since 1991, cruised the east coast, spent a winter exploring the Bahamas, and lived aboard for over 2 years, can't help but reply to the comment about "slow" (surely a relative term, both in terms of absolute speed and keeping in mind other boats of comperable size). While not going to win much in winds less than 6-8 kts, she will motor at 5.5, do over 6 kts in 15 and I have sailed at over 7 for hours on end in 18-25 kts (305 miles in 50 hours). Had several folks suggest she would do well in the Bermuda 1-2; not many 28's would.