Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 15:01   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
Mason 44' ?

Hey ,
Here's a good question.
Any of you here know anything about a "mason" ? I saw a very nice one in Jost Van Dyke a few years ago .I believe it was a 44' if memory serves. Any history on them ?when were they made? Are they still in production ? quality ?

thanks
Watson
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 17:34   #2

Hi All,
I did a search and found this: please keep in mind that this is not my boat,i don't know who owns it ,never seen it and I am not involved with her in any way.'She simply looks lovely !

Strictly Sailing, Mason 44 Cutter Rig, Mason Yachts for Sale, Free Sailboat Classifieds, For Sale, Sailboats For Sale, Sailing Stuff, Used Sailboats For Sale

Hope this is okay to post here .
thanks
Watson
Old 01-04-2009, 17:47   #3

The Mason series were built in Taiwan to a very high standard, and marketed by Pacific Asian Enterprises (PAE), who today distribute the Nordhaven trawler yachts.

The boats were designed by Al Mason, a highly regarded designer who did time with Philip Rhodes, Sparkman & Stephens, John Alden, Feadship, and taught at the US Naval Academy. The 33, 43, 53 and 63 were his, built between 1978 and 1985, the later 34, 44, 54 and 64 were built on the same hulls but with different deck and interior layouts, Mr. Mason's website (he is deceased) disavows the design of the later boats. Methinks there may have been a royalty dispute, it wouldn't be the first time.

Regardless, the PAE Masons were well built, some of the best to come from Asia, handsome and seaworthy, with lots of long distance voyaging under many of their keels. While most are getting older, I still see many which have been very well maintained, and they are usually worth refurbishing. They are long keeled boats, short on the waterline by todays standards, but good looking with lots of teak above and below.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 17:53   #4

They are lovely boats.

Sahara, you know your stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
The Mason series were built in Taiwan to a very high standard, and marketed by Pacific Asian Enterprises (PAE), who today distribute the Nordhaven trawler yachts.

The boats were designed by Al Mason, a highly regarded designer who did time with Philip Rhodes, Sparkman & Stephens, John Alden, Feadship, and taught at the US Naval Academy. The 33, 43, 53 and 63 were his, built between 1978 and 1985, the later 34, 44, 54 and 64 were built on the same hulls but with different deck and interior layouts, Mr. Mason's website (he is deceased) disavows the design of the later boats. Methinks there may have been a royalty dispute, it wouldn't be the first time.

Regardless, the PAE Masons were well built, some of the best to come from Asia, handsome and seaworthy, with lots of long distance voyaging under many of their keels. While most are getting older, I still see many which have been very well maintained, and they are usually worth refurbishing. They are long keeled boats, short on the waterline by todays standards, but good looking with lots of teak above and below.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 18:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We have a club member with one. They live on it and like it a lot.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 20:13   #6

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
An absolutely stunning yacht! There is a beautiful Mason 44 on Lake Texoma owned by an elderly couple that live-aboard part time. Both of them are in their late 70's and he singlehands her all time, matter of fact he was under stay sail with two reefs in 30 + knts last weekend.
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 20:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-Mystique View Post
An absolutely stunning yacht! There is a beautiful Mason 44 on Lake Texoma owned by an elderly couple that live-aboard part time. Both of them are in their late 70's and he singlehands her all time, matter of fact he was under stay sail with two reefs in 30 + knts last weekend.
SV mystique:
Thanks for that note. I saw this boat in 2001 or 2002 ,January. And I remember that I was in my dingy ,passing along side ,headed back to my chartered B-473 and I just had to stop !
The captain was sitting in the cockpit doing something or not, and I had to engage him in conversation that went ,very briefly,something like this.
You have a beautiful boat there but I don't recognize her. She has all the sleek look of a Hinckley but she seems so much more seaworthy. Who was her designer?
He just looked at me and smiled and said "mason" ...The way he said it ,odd as it may seem, sounded like HE was paying me a compliment for recognizing the beauty i was looking at ,with no markings on her that I could identify....It WAS as if he said " you have a good eye there ,mister."

It was about 7-8 years ago but I remember where i was when I saw that boat ,,,dark blue ,,,spotless and strong ,,,so strong

Watson
Old 02-04-2009, 03:20   #8

The Mason series of boats were built in Taiwan by Ta Shing, one of the best if not the best builders there. They also built the Nordhaven 46's for PAE initially, but I'm not sure if they built them for very long or built any of the other models. They also built the Tashiba and the Taswell lines and probably others I don't know about.
The Mason 63 is one of my favorites.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:21   #9
cruiser

Yes, Al Mason and PAE had a royalty dispute and it was ugly. Al visted with me in my office. Great guy. I also met with his daughter after he died to offer suggestions on the resolution of the royalty issue. I assume it got no where. But I have my own royalty disputes to cry over so I won't go into the details. It's a sad day when a builder abandons the designer after the project is on it's feet and rolling along. Once the boat has been built and accepted by the market the designer is often seen as superfuluous ( soo-per-full-us) whatever.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
There is a Mason 43 for sale in our marina, looks very nice. Nelson Yacht Sales in on the sign.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson1990 View Post
SV mystique:
She has all the sleek look of a Hinckley but she seems so much more seaworthy.
"...So much more seaworthy" than a Hinckley? Let's just say they are both exceedingly well made and leave it at that.

Interestingly, in the mid 90's at least, a Hinckley affiliate, Bass Harbor Marine, was the northeast dealer for Mason. I know because I looked at a new Mason 44 being commissioned at the BH facility, and it was a Hinckley broker who showed me the boat. Hinckley was also running charters out of that yard, so it would have been before they bought (and then sold) the Great Harbor Marina right in Southwest Harbor (the Hinckley yard proper is in Manset). The Bass Harbor yard is now the Morris service yard.

I didn't buy the boat, but the same fellow later sold me a SW-42, so I'm sure there are no lingering hard feelings.

I was sorely tempted by that Mason 44, and was on a beautifully rebuilt Mason 54 just a year ago. As the owner of that boat told me "she looks like I think a boat ought to look, and sails like I think a boat ought to sail". Not much to add.

Bob, I would venture to guess that you hold the record as the most pirated designer of all time. I suppose that may be a form of flattery you could live without.
Old 02-04-2009, 14:37   #12

Dear Sahara,
Please let me tell you a very brief story.
My wife and I went to look at a SW 42 over near Gotts in the Hinckley storage yard with Bob Pooler. I don't remember her name but she was beautiful. We decided that she was a bit too small for the 2 of us and our 3 golden retrievers . It was then that I started looking at the Rassy 49.
My choice of words last night about "seaworthy" was a poor one. I was thinking about how small the boat would be with all 5 of us on her for 4-5 6 months at a time. I used the wrong word ,,,I should have said user friendly for a small crowd over a long period of time [5+ months at a time ]
The SW is as seaworthy a boat as you can find [ a little narrow with all those dogs] Poor chioce of words on my part .I apologize.It was late and the 3rd glass of wine can do some damage when you are [I am] on anti rejection/transplant meds ! Thats why I am supposed to only drink a max of 2 a day !!
I lived in B.H. from 1999 until 2004 and I used to just sit in my truck in the Hinckley yard and eat my lunch and drool ! Remember seeing the 73 they launched in 2003 ?? Dining room table was a steinway baby grand ,custom built by steinway for that boat ...She went for 13 Mil !! Or Billy Joels Picnic boat ?
Thanks

Watson
Old 02-04-2009, 17:06   #13

Watson,

No apology necessary, I am certainly not thin skinned about my boat. In contrast to your story, we bought her after looking at several larger boats, because we didn't want to feel tempted to invite a crowd. We live aboard for 2 months at a time, and find her perfect for a couple with a young child. I can certainly appreciate that she would be too small for five, as she is a very small 42'.

I certainly wish you the best regarding your health, and hope it doesn't impede your sailing.

Cheers,
Sahara