Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 14:08   #1

Boat: 40 Islander Peterson
Mao Ta 36 Cutter

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a Mao Ta 36 for a total refit project. you can view it here:

SAILBOAT, 1981 36FT MAO TA CUTTER in Sailboats | eBay Motors

I've been looking for a double-ender cutter restoration project for over a year now and this seems to be it. I want to refit it to be a bullet proof, ocean cruiser. I'm just not familiar with the builder. I've read the whole story about how the Mao Ta 36 came about. I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with some likes or dislikes of the boat. Are there any commonly found problems with the make? It's hard to find someone who owns one that could offer advice. I am aware of the excessive teak. Does it cause problems reaching tanks, equipment, through holes, or anything else? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I've thought of attempting to contact Robert Perry to get his opinion on the maker but I haven't yet. Thanks in advance.

Tony Covert,

S/v Bravado
40 Islander Peterson
Tony covert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 06:19   #2
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: Mao Ta 36 Cutter

Here is a link that should clear up some of the questions concerning this boat.

sv Secret O' Life, a Union Cutter

According to this article it seems to be cut from the same cloth as the Hans Christain 36, Mariner Polaris 36, Uniton 36 and the EO 36. If that is the case you have a fine foundation to work from. However, being built in the early 80's she most likely has iron tanks (fuel, water and holding). If that is the case they will most likely have to be replaced. Also, the teak decks seem to have already been removed. Check under your head liner for leaks and rot as well as soft spots on the deck.

I purchased a Tiawan built 1984 Slocum 37 double ender that had iron tanks which luckly had been removed and a SS fuel tank installed. I am now replacing the holding and water tanks (with plastic). The teak decks were also removed faired and is ready for non skid. But leaks caused damage to the headliners around the coach roof and they are being replaced.

I would access the tank and deck situation and add the repair cost to your final bid price. If you can do the work yourself you will be ahead of the game. If you go ahead with this project (and it is a big one) I see she is without a diesel. I'd go with a Perkins 4-108. Parts are available all over the world it is virtually bullet proof and you should find something with trans between 5-8k if you look.

Good luck,
RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 13:21   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Mao Ta 36 Cutter

G'Day Tony,

Bob Perry used to contribute to this forum, but since his son died tragically he has been absent. However, I seem to remember that he said that some of the Taiwan yards ripped off his designs without paying his due royalties. The implication was that a yard that would do that sleazy thing would likely do equally sleazy things in the construction of the yachts. Seems likely to me! So, I think that it would be prudent to check with him. He's a nice guy and I'm sure that you would learn a lot from the conversations.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
cutter