Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 09:01   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Love or hate Winslow, Switlick, Revere?

I need to buy a new life raft. Anyone have strong opinions about these brands?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:02   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Love or hate Winslow, Switlick, Revere?

I replaced an old Givens with a Winslow 4 person offshore. Haven't needed it but the selling points for me is that my wife can lift and launch it. It weighs roughly a third of the Givens and even with both of us it was difficult to move.

Three year inspection cycle.

At $3k I could afford it.

In short, if my wife can handle it solo, it went the top of the list.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:14   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I also have a Givens and it is very heavy. You need to be able to lift the raft if it is a valise.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:43   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I replaced an old Givens with a Winslow 4 person offshore. Haven't needed it but the selling points for me is that my wife can lift and launch it. It weighs roughly a third of the Givens and even with both of us it was difficult to move.

Three year inspection cycle.

At $3k I could afford it.

In short, if my wife can handle it solo, it went the top of the list.

Rich

+1

Hard to go wrong with a Winslow. Little spendy. I went with a 4 man SLOP in a valise. One of the big selling points for me is that they offer custom pack jobs for valises if you care to specify the dimensions you're working with. Mine fits perfectly in it's spot inside the lazarette.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:38   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
+1

Hard to go wrong with a Winslow. Little spendy. I went with a 4 man SLOP in a valise. One of the big selling points for me is that they offer custom pack jobs for valises if you care to specify the dimensions you're working with. Mine fits perfectly in it's spot inside the lazarette.
I agree. The Winslow's are light which IMO is a good safety factor, and long experience says they're actually well built and one of the better brands. My only complaint vs. e.g. Switlick is that there are relatively few shops that will repack a Winslow, especially the 3 years vacuum pack.

One nice thing is that Winslow appears at a lot of boat shows with an inflated liferaft. Actually climbing in one is a very educational experience.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Winslow here; expensive, harder to find a refit location, but very well built
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 16:53   #7

Most private aircraft that fly over water use Winslow s
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 17:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have the Winslow 8-man SLOP (I think -- they've changed the names, but the weight and features look right.) We have it vacuum-packed in a valise, and it stows well in a cockpit lazarette. I have it secured with quick-release straps so it doesn't move around and get chafed.

We've never had to use it, but it looks good at the shows. The weight is a big plus for me. I've had it serviced and re-packed by authorized service centers in Alameda CA and in Tacoma WA.

The foil / vacuum pack seems to do a great job; the raft and components look fresh and clean when we do the re-pack. Repacking isn't cheap, but I don't think that Winslow is any worse than the other brands in this regard. The foil seal extends the service interval, so that's probably worth it, and it protects the raft which is probably more important.

Note that if you are participating in ocean racing, ORC/ISAF says that valise-packed rafts require annual servicing regardless of the manufacturer's schedule. For what it's worth, many case-packed rafts suffer from UV degradation (some cases don't stop the UV very well).
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 18:45   #9

Boat: Oyster 55

My old life raft was a Givens 6-man. The Winslow 8-man is smaller and lighter than the Givens was, so I consider that a big plus. I'm not sure, but I think the same benefit might be true of the Switlick and Revere.

I would like to switch to a canister so that I can move the life raft from a deck locker to the stern rail and free up the space for storing other things. I have been advised that the canister might not protect the raft from UV and ocean humidity as well as if it were in a valise in the deck locker. What are your thoughts about that?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:52   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My Givens 6 person offshore was mounted on the foredeck in a canister. As I mentioned it was durn heavy. As a canister it seemed to be always in the way and I was concerned for the safety of getting my wife and self forward to launch it.

We went with valise. With only the two of us, the 4 person raft seemed the right size (too big a raft can be dangerous, too much room to be thrown around).

We store ours in the garage aka the quarter berth along with the ditch bag. Out of sun and water. The GPIRB is mounted very near. Everything can be placed in the cockpit in seconds.

I have no problem with a canister on the rail but a wave could wash it away along with rail. Besides, space on my rail is at a premium.

Rich

cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 00:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
[...] I have been advised that the canister might not protect the raft from UV and ocean humidity as well as if it were in a valise in the deck locker. What are your thoughts about that?
If you're asking me, all I know is what I've heard, if I recall correctly, from a very professional liferaft service guy. He mentioned something about some canisters being more transparent to UV than others. I'm afraid that's not much to go on, but it's all I've got...
www.sailvalis.com
Old 30-03-2016, 01:26   #12

Wouldn't it be easy to avoid the UV damage by simply lining the inside of a valise with something like aluminium foil?

Best,

Jack.
Jack Verschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 10:26   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Verschuur View Post
Wouldn't it be easy to avoid the UV damage by simply lining the inside of a valise with something like aluminium foil?

Best,

Jack.
That seems like the simple solution. Heck, if you didn't want to open it up you could wrap the outside with dark blue Sunbrella and get about the same thing.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 18:57   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
That seems like the simple solution. Heck, if you didn't want to open it up you could wrap the outside with dark blue Sunbrella and get about the same thing.
In the "things I have heard" department, I've heard of people using a sunbrella cover over the canister for just such a reason. It sounds like a good idea. It the canister is the hydrostatic release type (or even if it's not) you will need to ensure that the cover doesn't interfere with the opening of the canister.
www.sailvalis.com