Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 17:14   #31

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: larger cruising boat recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore27ns View Post
Thanks. I don't think Hanse or Bavaria is what I want. I want top tier quality
For a multi-year cruise you will need excellent maintainability and accessibility of systems. I haven't any direct experience with Hanse's other than a charter, but I have heard from multiple sources that the accessibility of some systems is so poor, owners felt the need to take a hole cutter and install a utility hatch just to access certain systems (located behind fiberglass).

The new Bavaria I owned some years back didn't have major accessibility issues, and I doubt you'll find the issue in high quality builds either - but it would definitely be something you pay attention to when narrowing down your eventual wish list.

Sent from mTalk
Old 05-09-2017, 18:42   #32

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
It is a mass production budget built boat. As well as Hanse.

The high quality brands not mentioned earlier include Passport and Tayana. You may also consider Island Packet 525.
The OP is looking for performance and speed.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:05   #33

Boat: Tollycraft 34 Sport Sedan

I have some experience sailing and racing on a Hanse. Better quality than a Bavaria. Easy to sail with electric winch, self tacking jib etc. Lots of room, very comfortable at anchor. Been in big water. Wasn't comfortable but not unsafe. Sails decent for what it is.
oceanstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 20:03   #34

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
The OP is looking for performance and speed.
Is it Passport or Tayana that lacks one?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:35   #35

Boat: Wesmac 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
It is a mass production budget built boat. As well as Hanse.

The high quality brands not mentioned earlier include Passport and Tayana. You may also consider Island Packet 525.
The Island Packet looks great but i need a third stateeoom (3 kids)
offshore27ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:57   #36

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore27ns View Post
The Island Packet looks great but i need a third stateeoom (3 kids)
IP 525 has a third cabin that can be configured with bunks instead of a desk. This is the only IP made with three cabins. On a used market the same model is called IP 485 - they have changed naming scheme recently. Check out the YachtWorld and you should find a version with bunks in the third cabin (so you can see the pictures).

For example, http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004...s#.Wa_kTdEpChA

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006...s#.Wa_lCdEpChA
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:07   #37

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
2011 Southerly 57 RS Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Awesome boat.... Lifting keel for the shallow areas, great view from the inside, and push button everything to easily single hand.

I like spending other peoples money.
Matt
There are numerous problems with Southerly. Not least is their electronic integration.... the keel is very noisy if you sail downwind.. you will worry about its serviceability
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:11   #38

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanstate View Post
I have some experience sailing and racing on a Hanse. Better quality than a Bavaria. Easy to sail with electric winch, self tacking jib etc. Lots of room, very comfortable at anchor. Been in big water. Wasn't comfortable but not unsafe. Sails decent for what it is.
Hanse is no better built than Bavaria. Furthermore, Hanse is a Bavaria company.

Think Xyacht.. the 562
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:46   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hanse is no better built than Bavaria. Furthermore, Hanse is a Bavaria company.

Think Xyacht.. the 562
I like these but they are not known to have good resale in North America
Old 07-09-2017, 12:21   #40

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

You should have no problem finding a boat that meets your needs with those price constraints. I believe that a Tayana58 like ours does too.

If you are new to large cruising boats, I would advise you that the cost projection advice that I received is accurate -- expect on average to spend each year at least 5-7% of the cost on maintenance, not including dockage, insurance, upgrades, etc.

With respect to single or double-handing, most of the boats you will probably look at can be single- or certainly double-handed, but for the long passages the limitation is sleep -- not how many people it takes to reef the sails. Crew size is driven more by sleep schedule than by the number of hands needed to perform most tasks.

I suggest you visit the brokerage show at the Newport, RI Boat Show next weekend. Although we see the regular show most years, but it is the boats at the brokerage show that we find most interesting. Those are the ones that tempt us to trade up

Lastly, I suggest getting a feeling for the trade-offs between the differing designs before making a decision. For example, our boat boasts a large aft (sun) deck and a full-height aft cabin, but at the expense of a shorter cockpit. Obviously, pick a boat that makes the trade-offs you value. It takes a lot of close observation to see the things that may otherwise not become apparent until you cruise on a particular boat for a few years.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 20:06   #41

Not much said about safety in this discussion. Assuming you are bringing loved ones with you and aren't suicidal, you might think about this more. On your budget, you really should stop thinking about the -- how can I say it delicately -- "cheaper" boats (like B you ask about). They are cheap for a reason.

Also, if you are heading through the Panama Canal, I assume you plan to head well offshore. You'll be alone. The more your boat is like your home (all the mod-cons), the more you need to be an expert in fixing stuff -- or be willing and able to go without it. Stuff will break. Repeat: stuff will break, even on a top-brand boat with top-brand equipment.

With a million dollars, why not have a boat custom built? You could get a fabulous boat of about 50 feet for that, at least if you are realistic about equipping it. At the risk of angering others reading this, I wouldn't consider a fiberglass boat at all. Have one made from aluminum. (I have owned both fiberglass and aluminum.) And for goodness sake don't get a boat with a long spindly keel.

When I look back at your initial question, I tend to think that you might be happier with a long-range powerboat, or maybe a motorsailer. Have you sailed upwind in anything but a moderate wind? That gets old very fast. If you have people aboard that don't already love sailing, they will come to hate it fast doing that. The dirty secret of sailing is that the boats with the great upwind performance are routinely motored upwind. It's just too much hard work, hour after hour, to sail that way, and frustrating as hell when you know you'll get to where you want twice as fast by going direct on engine. And where you're heading -- out across the Pacific? -- you'll be sailing the tradewinds. Boats with rigs that are great upwind can be just awful downwind.

Oh, before I end, if you are new to boating, here's the best piece of advice I can give: when it comes to boats, every sailor will give different advice! Even experts disagree; indeed, they might disagree the most. Take everything with a grain of salt. There's no such thing as a perfect boat.

So much to think about!
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 21:20   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I'd be looking at Swans....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:52   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
Not much said about safety in this discussion. Assuming you are bringing loved ones with you and aren't suicidal, you might think about this more. On your budget, you really should stop thinking about the -- how can I say it delicately -- "cheaper" boats (like B you ask about). They are cheap for a reason.

Also, if you are heading through the Panama Canal, I assume you plan to head well offshore. You'll be alone. The more your boat is like your home (all the mod-cons), the more you need to be an expert in fixing stuff -- or be willing and able to go without it. Stuff will break. Repeat: stuff will break, even on a top-brand boat with top-brand equipment.

With a million dollars, why not have a boat custom built? You could get a fabulous boat of about 50 feet for that, at least if you are realistic about equipping it. At the risk of angering others reading this, I wouldn't consider a fiberglass boat at all. Have one made from aluminum. (I have owned both fiberglass and aluminum.) And for goodness sake don't get a boat with a long spindly keel.

When I look back at your initial question, I tend to think that you might be happier with a long-range powerboat, or maybe a motorsailer. Have you sailed upwind in anything but a moderate wind? That gets old very fast. If you have people aboard that don't already love sailing, they will come to hate it fast doing that. The dirty secret of sailing is that the boats with the great upwind performance are routinely motored upwind. It's just too much hard work, hour after hour, to sail that way, and frustrating as hell when you know you'll get to where you want twice as fast by going direct on engine. And where you're heading -- out across the Pacific? -- you'll be sailing the tradewinds. Boats with rigs that are great upwind can be just awful downwind.

Oh, before I end, if you are new to boating, here's the best piece of advice I can give: when it comes to boats, every sailor will give different advice! Even experts disagree; indeed, they might disagree the most. Take everything with a grain of salt. There's no such thing as a perfect boat.

So much to think about!
Excellent feed back. Loved ones will be with onboard most of the time but not always especially if their is increased risk.

The Panama aspect is only a slim possibility.

I have a great deal of time offshore on long ocean races and deliveries. This has created a great deal of experience. The ability to repair along the way is not a problem. Most of my time has been on race boats with LOTS of upwind for days on end.

I want to stick with a boat that is well known for resales purposes.

We currently have a 46 ft Down East boat under construction which will be finished next spring. We plan to do some extended cruising on this boat to get the kids used to it. We will likely do the Northern Loop and later head to Florida and the Bahamas then take the boat back to Nova Scotia where it will be used as a Summer boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WESMAC.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	155720  
Old 09-10-2017, 16:38   #44

I seem to have zoned in on the Hylas 56 and the Mk II Discovery 55
Old 10-10-2017, 04:51   #45

There is a discovery 55 in navy blue on the next jetty over from our yacht and it is a absolutely beautiful looking thing. Thats got to count for something! I like the raised saloon and rear cabin setup also. Less cockpit is the trade off I guess...but I should imagine it being great if well offshore.

Happy shopping!
200MPH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising