Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24   #1

Islander 37

OK I am on the hunt again. I have found an Islander 37 for sale for a good price and is actually a good bit below my price range, but it will need some work. He says standing rigging is original and in good condition, not sure if that is possible on a 1969 boat? Other than the obvious possible maintenance issues that will be found in a good survey does anyone have any experience with the sailing qualities of the Islander 37? How is the build quality on them as well? This is a bit bigger than I was looking at originally, and I understand the cost of maintaining goes up with the square of the length. I had been looking at the 33 to 35 foot range. My immediate use will be as a liveaboard on the Hudson River, but will likely be moving in the next few years to the west coast of Long Island Sound, with goals of some cruising in about 5 years.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Islander 37

The islanders are generally built pretty well. Not fancy, but sturdy. My little 34 is a built like a tank with much larger (2x) chainplates then an I36 for example. Lots of islanders still around. If the hull, deck and engine are good then its probably a good deal. You have to figure that if the rigging is original it's more then done. I would think it should have been redone sometime around 1990. Even so it should probably be on the refit list.

The plumbing, electrics,and other sub systems probably need a little love.

By today's standards the 37 would be a little small compared to the newer beamier models, but the lines/shear is nicer. They are good boats

You have to figure the boat was made in california and now is in new york, so it's traveled a bit.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 14:58   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Paul, it is conceivable that 1969 rigging (now 40+ years old) is still good to the eye, but I doubt any rigger or insurer would consider it safe these days. Quick test: Run a white rag up and down each wire. If there is even ONE meathook, one strand torn off that rag, on any one wire? They all get condemned, because they fail from the inside out, and if there is one meathook on the outside, there are already more cable failures inside.

Of course if the boat was stored in a pyramid and the original razor blades in the head are still sharp and shiny...<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 15:02   #4

I am not convinced that it is original, just that he has not changed it. I will plan on changing it no matter what, and will reflect that in my offers!
Old 04-08-2011, 15:58   #5

There are some owner comments about the Islander 37 on Sailnet.com ou might want to look at.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 19:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
There are some owner comments about the Islander 37 on Sailnet.com ou might want to look at.
I went through most of the the posts, but did not find much that was swaying me strongly one way or the other. The owner reviews are glowing,(but I think that is true on most boats as the one you have is normally great) and the only real thing I read bad was it is under rudder-ed a bit and that they are bad in reverse. Neither deal breakers. Unless I missed something. I guess i will see what she looks like, if I can get an appointment to see it.