Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 11:12   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace
Island Trader 46

Any one with experience or info on Island Trader 46. We know they were built in Tiawan from different yards, meaning the quaility is more reflective of the yard. Looking for further info. Found one in Fl interested in with refit of almost everything but needs the cosmetic TLC. That appeals because can do projects while living on. It's a motor sailor. That appeals for the 15' beam and pilot house for weather. Any insights and opinions welcome. So far everyone has directed me to abandon the "children" and do the cruising life. No I'm asking the experts about the "house". Thanks in advance for your input and interest.

Linda
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 13:39   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have no experience with this boat but seeing as nobody offered any comments I will tell you of my only run in with one.

Met a couple in a boatyard in Florida where I was painting my bottom. They had just bought an Island Trader 46, their dream boat for going cruising. They told us of their plans to go cruising. In another week or so their dream would come true. They would head out. They had hauled for bottom painting too but the bottom was in bad shape. Next the through hulls had to be replaced. Then on and on and on. One thing after another. I could see the wife was getting very upset.

The next year when I hauled, the same boat was still in the yard. Nothing much being done. The owners were not around. The following year it was gone. I don't know if they sold it or actually went cruising. My point is that this is a very big boat with an "iffy" pedigree and many things that might not be just right. To think you're going to go cruising and then have to work on the boat for a couple of years will kill most people's enthusiasm.

The boat is very big, tons of surface area to clean and paint and wax and that's just the start. I hate to lay such a downer on you but if you intend to buy this boat get the best surveyor you can and go through every inch of the beast. Cosmetic TLC might just be the start of it.
Old 13-11-2009, 19:44   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Linda - I have to agree with Vasco. Huge boat is not itself a problem, but a huge high-maintenance boat certainly is. If you want a floating apartment it will be a fabulous boat. If you actually want to sail frequently it will be a challenge unless you have the crew to support that.

Huge flat deck transom looks great dockside with lawn chairs all around. But I picture the opening scenes from Gilligan's Island where they are being thrown back & forth as the wheel spins from their hands every time I see one. Steering wheel mounted to the aft cabin bulkhead, where you get to stand without much to hang on to.

That said, if you really want one, there's one for sale just down the canal from me in Punta Gorda. I think on YW the boat is listed as being in Palmetto. I can inquire for ya if you would like.

Best of luck no matter which way you go. But just go before it's too late! (Ask me how I know that....)

Old 18-11-2009, 08:54   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Linda - I have to agree with the above. ITs have a lot of wood in them, and that can lead to structural problems if not properly maintained. They also have a lot of wood trim ON them, which also means a lot of upkeep. They are beamy, heavy boats. Not bad off the wind, but they are not known for going to weather very well ... and they take a LOT of wind to get and keep moving well.
Not designed for single handing - so forget it if you don't have a good crewmate.
Best advice if you really want one: hire a GOOD surveyor - have him really give her a going over, and heed his advice!
Good luck -
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 19:40   #5

Exclamation Island Trader 46

Linda - I also looked hard at theIT 46. You probably know that the Palmetto listing agent has a couple of videos on YouTube? If you did not see those yet, you should really take a hard look at them. Engine room especially.
Space wise these are great, but off-shore you need a different design. So it depends what you are planning to do.
I have read lots and lots of stories about all the bad workmanship from some (not all) of the Taiwan yards. Your surveyor should carefully evaluate every inch of the entire hull at haul out. Delamination repair can get expensive very fast. Good luck!
DutchProf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island trader